Elite / Frontier Remapping keys for FFE...

Due to me not being very satisfied with the default controls in FFE, I looked for a solution and found one, thought i'd share it with my fellow commanders...

I found a good (and free) little tool that can be used to remap any keys on your keyboard to any other key, its called AutoHotKey.

You can use it temporarily, just for FFE (It puts an icon on your taskbar). No rebooting required (unlike the win. res. kit remapkey tool). I wasnt sure it was gonna work with FFE at first but it does!

It works by reading a script file (which it makes itself when you first run it), in which you enter remappings in the form:
remap_key::function

I wanted to use controls similar to those I use in 1st-person shooters, i.e. RDFG for movement (like WASD but with extra keys to press with your little finger). What I find about space flight, is that it feels more natural for my fps forward/back keys to thrust up and down rather than forward and back. But whilst flying over a planet's surface it feels more appropriate for forward to mean forward. Anyway, I ended up using these remappings:

r::Numpad4
f::Numpad1
d::Numpad7
g::Numpad9
s::Numpad8
x::Numpad5
Space::e
z::c
e::[
t::]
y::t
c::d
j::r
q::x
Tab::f

The program's help file has a list of all the key labels in it.

Top Bottom