General / Off-Topic Replacement Gaming Headset

Ok, after many many replacement headband and ear cushions my old faithful Logitech G35 headset recently died on me. I am a bit surprised it lasted as long as it did (7+ years!).

Needless to say I am on the lookout for a replacement but the amount of choice has increased significantly. What are peoples thoughts on gaming headsets ? What would you recommend?

I am no audiophile, but appreciate good sounding headphones.
It needs to be comfortable and have a respectable microphone.
I would use it for work (primarily teams calls) as well as gaming.
It would need to be closed back, but ANC is not essential.
It would primarily only be used for PC gaming and although my previous headset was wired I would consider a wireless one if better.

What do you use? Would do you like and dislike about your current headset?

TIA.

I did a bunch of research a year ago and ended up getting myself a SteelSeries Arctis Pro. Very happy with it.

71bHRvIht4L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

There's all sorts of variants, I went with the wired headset because a) I don't mind being wired for Elite, b) didn't like what I heard about wireless lag and c) it was cheaper.

I love the looks of it (obviously personal taste there), it's very comfortable (although slightly tight I guess), great audio. The microphone is very neat the way it slides in and out of its recesss and sounds perfectly fine to me. One particularly nice feature is that it shows up as two separate devices and has a separate balance dial half way along the cable. What this means is that when I'm playing Elite and want to simultaneously chat to someone in Discord I don't have to mess around with in-game volume levels, I can simply turn the dial to get a nice balance between game audio and speech.

Last edited:
Personally I’ve found most of the “gaming” headsets to be a complete waste of time and money.

Once my umpteenth Razer Nari died I just used the Jabra Evolve 65 I got during the WFH era. It’s just better in every regard minus the pointless RGB.

Personally I’ve found most of the “gaming” headsets to be a complete waste of time and money.

Once my umpteenth Razer Nari died I just used the Jabra Evolve 65 I got during the WFH era. It’s just better in every regard minus the pointless RGB.
Interesting you should say that, I am using a cheap wired office headset from HP at the moment and the sound is fine!! I probably need to do some in game testing with that one too.

I used to swear by the HyperX Cloud II which I used for years (good audio, great mic and very comfortable) - but the "rubberised" surface went all sticky and yukky so I chucked it in the bin.

I now use my open-back Beyerdynamic DT990pro in the game when I am playing in the wee-small-hours (as well as for the music and studio stuff that it was bought for) - fantastic audio. I use a boom-mounted mic anyway so don't need a mic on the headset.

I'm really happy with Hyperx Cloud Flight S - no ANC, but really decent mic (with noise gate).
I usually dont need to mute my mic during Teams Calls and i get no complains about ambient noises during our calls

With lights off, battery lasts close to 30h
Decent range on the usb transmitter too, also low clamp pressure so i can keep them on for a full work day with no issues

and they're quite cheap too

Top Bottom