Cobra MK43A/0.44A/4.92175344
Imp. Courier4A/0.43A/3.72232.6346
DB Explorer4A/0.44A/4.92268527

Last for today:

ShipPPThrtBTU
DB Scout4A/0.44A/4.92264.6521
ASP Scout4A/0.44A/4.92161317
Vulture4A/0.45A/6.12146.3358

Next few days is short on time, i'll make more if i can, but that could be tuesday.

I've added all the new information into one new, consolidated, table. Thanks for all the help, all! By my count, 9 ships are left: Sidewinder, iEagle, T6, T7, T9, Asp X, FDS, FGS, Viper III

More ships tested
FAS : 430
Python : 450
Clipper : 455

Will look over the FDL again, as the FAS being better on it seems an odd result

EDIT: Repeat test for FDL gives 335 again

Yeah, that does seem really strange. In practice, the FAS seems to have much more trouble with heat than the FDL- most notably when scooping from stars. Perhaps there is some other value or coefficient that determines how much heat a ship absorbs from the star... Or maybe the practical heat load of 2 large + 2 medium weapons is more than 4 mediums + 1 huge? Lastly, it could be that the FAS produces more heat from boosting than the FDL does. Way back in the day, there was a patch note that mentioned the heat generated for every ship but the sidewinder had been changed from 10 (the heat a sidewinder is supposed to produce when boosting), to something more appropriate for each given ship. That implies that the "heat generated by boosting" value is both unique to each ship, and baked into the ship itself (and not a product of certain module combinations).

Thank you so much for creating this thread. I've been needing just this sort of information, after modifying for four class 2 incendiary multi-cannons on a Fer-de-lance and finding that It's very easy to over heat. With better understanding of how heat works I now know that if I get over 66% heat I need to watch it as after that point I'll keep rising until I take damage if I keep at it. I think I need to use something different for some of my weapons, just so I don't over heat as easily.

Thank you. I'm interested in the heat mechanics and did lots of tests myself (no numbers, just practice though).
That being said, I've been trying to build the coldest ship possible. A ship so cold that it would freeze with activated thrusters, life support and sensors, and I would move around frozen, but I unlocked Palin and powerplant engineers just recently so my Viper Mk IV is only engineered with G1 mods which isn't enough.

What do you think? Is it possible to create a ship so cold that it would move around frozen, invisible from any players? What modules would I have to install for that, is the B-rated powerplant better at heat management? Is it achievable with the Viper Mk IV? (I really don't like Lakon ships) Or with the Anaconda/Corvette/Cutter/Python/Clipper? (since those have enormous BTU)

Last edited:
Found time for 3 mo'e

ShipPPThrtBTU
Sidewinder2A/0.42A/3.0176.2211
ASP Explorer5A/0.45A/6.12167.5410
T95A/0.47A/9.12129.4472

Thank you. I'm interested in the heat mechanics and did lots of tests myself (no numbers, just practice though).
That being said, I've been trying to build the coldest ship possible. A ship so cold that it would freeze with activated thrusters, life support and sensors, and I would move around frozen, but I unlocked Palin and powerplant engineers just recently so my Viper Mk IV is only engineered with G1 mods which isn't enough.

What do you think? Is it possible to create a ship so cold that it would move around frozen, invisible from any players? What modules would I have to install for that, is the B-rated powerplant better at heat management? Is it achievable with the Viper Mk IV? (I really don't like Lakon ships) Or with the Anaconda/Corvette/Cutter/Python/Clipper? (since those have enormous BTU)

Would you be looking to actually fight that cold, or just move around?

Its a little odd, the Imperial ships have a reputation for running hot, and my Courier does give me heat warnings much more often than other combat ships I fly...but their heat capacity seems to be in line with everything else in their weight class, so they should function the same.

Last edited:
Its a little odd, the Imperial ships have a reputation for running hot, and my Courier does give me heat warnings much more often than other combat ships I fly...but their heat capacity seems to be in line with everything else in their weight class, so they should function the same.
If I had to guess, their boosts generate more heat. That's something I'd still like to test.

That actually brings up an interesting question I had about Dirty vs. Clean drives, when does the 'thermal load' of your thrusters matter? does that stat affect your ships heat at all times or only when you're boosting? I ask because I've not been able to tell a difference between the two other than that the dirty ones allow me to turn better than the clean ones.

That actually brings up an interesting question I had about Dirty vs. Clean drives, when does the 'thermal load' of your thrusters matter? does that stat affect your ships heat at all times or only when you're boosting? I ask because I've not been able to tell a difference between the two other than that the dirty ones allow me to turn better than the clean ones.

It should affect you at all times. Shutting down the thrusters and coasting into the station is an old trick used by some smugglers to keep their ship cool longer.
Should be pretty easy to test. Stop your ship. Shut down all modules, except thrusters. Go silent running and watch the heat rise.

The "thermal load" stat is how much heat is generated when your thrusters firing at full speed. If you are sitting still, or coasting in FA OFF, the thermal load is irrelevant. All that matters in those two instances (for heat) is your power plant's heat efficiency, and you overall power consumption.

It should affect you at all times. Shutting down the thrusters and coasting into the station is an old trick used by some smugglers to keep their ship cool longer.
Should be pretty easy to test. Stop your ship. Shut down all modules, except thrusters. Go silent running and watch the heat rise.
The reason your heat rises in that instance (assuming you're holding still), is because the thrusters are consuming MW, and the power plant generates a certain amount of heat (its heat efficiency stat) per second, per MW being consumed.

Last edited:
Glad to see your thermal research is progressing and also hope you've considered exiting on the green side when an anaconda is leaving the station. Either way a very interesting read, good work.

Would you be looking to actually fight that cold, or just move around?

Just move around. Shooting generates a lot of heat, even with G5 efficent multicannons, and besides, the ship you're shooting can always target you and see you on the radar as long as you're landing hits, so it's not much help.

Is it possible to create a ship so cold that it would move around frozen, invisible from any players?

- first of all, there is no being "invisible", the best you can achieve is "unresolved contact", until you come into autoresolve distance

- being below 20% heat basically works like running silent. a DBS and a DBE will run below 19% heat when outfitted with class 3D or no shields, d-class sensors, life-support, powerdistributor turned off, a class-thrusters and an undersized powerplant (which shouldn't play a role if this thread is correct), if frameshift drive isn't charging. i think many ships can achieve that. i have run the "black ribband" smuggler contest in such a ship.

- when your ship reaches less then 10% heat, your canopy freezes. a friend of mine was running a DBE without weapons getting that cold, with basically everything d-class, including 2D powerplant, when fuelscoop etc. was turned off. this is in line with this thread - you basically use the least powerusing moduls. he was using it for exploration (and went to beaglepoint with it and beyond)

qICbwee.gif

The beluga's heat cap is 421.

This probably explains why it fries itself when charging the FSD, class 7 FSD's dump a lot of heat compared to smaller ones

Just thought I'd add that it has been noticed that a Beluga with a Rating A Life support is much better at heat management than a Rating D. The rough difference was noticed during boost where after 3 boosts, the D would put the Beluga over 100% as opposed to only 60% with A. Not sure what modules were installed or whether the thrusters we standard, dirty or clean.

Going to test this on my FdL using the method outlined by Frenotx

1. The differences seen in the thermal capacity of the corvette. A thought.. Has anyone factored in what armour is on each, just in case there is a specific heat capacity effect going on.

2. Flying both the corvette and the cutter it is blindingly obvious that the cutter is much better at handling heat. Give its lower overall thermal capacity how would you explain this?

The "thermal load" stat is how much heat is generated when your thrusters firing at full speed. If you are sitting still, or coasting in FA OFF, the thermal load is irrelevant. All that matters in those two instances (for heat) is your power plant's heat efficiency, and you overall power consumption.

The reason your heat rises in that instance (assuming you're holding still), is because the thrusters are consuming MW, and the power plant generates a certain amount of heat (its heat efficiency stat) per second, per MW being consumed.

any idea where the Fed Dropship falls on that chart in the OP?

Top Bottom