Research Limpets

Anyone regularly fit them on exploration trips?

Seems not many of the notable stellar phenomenon are actually able to have samples taken from them

Yeah, I take 'em. Helps if you know how to spot the lifeforms, they can be tricky. And the samples are not useful other than for a bit of a change :)

Edit: clarified as I'd missed an important word ;)

Last edited:
Right after 3.3 was released, I started carrying the research limpets. But it quickly became evident how few creatures can be sampled. And then you have to carry the samples, and they're not worth much. So now I'm just bringing repair limpets, and don't have the space to equip another controller.

EDIT: Are you saying there are additional uses for the samples other than just selling them? That might get me to rethink this.

In more than 2000 jumps on my current trip into the black I haven't come across a single "space-born" oddity that I could have sampled (only on planet surfaces) - I'm glad I didn't bring research limpets. Come to think of it, if I mount a research limpet controller on the ship, does the SRV get some kind of "research sampling" function as well?!

Right after 3.3 was released, I started carrying the research limpets. But it quickly became evident how few creatures can be sampled. And then you have to carry the samples, and they're not worth much. So now I'm just bringing repair limpets, and don't have the space to equip another controller.

EDIT: Are you saying there are additional uses for the samples other than just selling them? That might get me to rethink this.

Yeah, I have been disappointed has to not even all the Space life seems to be able to be sampled
Some Mollusks can be, some cannot, making them seem very limited in utility.

I mean, I never expected the samples to pay much, it was more the exploration thing to do to bring back samples, in my case dropping them off at the various deep space outposts as I head out.

Right after 3.3 I really hoped to be able to sample everything, the crystals and mineral formations for the samples of the bacteria they made them

In more than 2000 jumps on my current trip into the black I haven't come across a single "space-born" oddity that I could have sampled (only on planet surfaces) - I'm glad I didn't bring research limpets. Come to think of it, if I mount a research limpet controller on the ship, does the SRV get some kind of "research sampling" function as well?!

It seems counter intuitive that we need to equip research limpets for things that we can just fly or drive straight up to, why not just a sample drill, make it a size 1 module and give us an extra slot rather than having to carry a limpet controller and then carry or synthesise limpets to go with it.

Now I could see the sense in research limpets if we were, say, sampling the deep atmosphere of gas giants where our ships would get crushed, or retrieving life forms from oceans, but surely a sample drill, maybe even if it was on a long arm, would suffice both for the SRV and ship.

Hopefully the research limpets will gain a more meaningful use once we get atmosphere, the current implementation may be testing the water so to speak.

It seems counter intuitive that we need to equip research limpets for things that we can just fly or drive straight up to, why not just a sample drill, make it a size 1 module and give us an extra slot rather than having to carry a limpet controller and then carry or synthesise limpets to go with it.

Or, perhaps, a small laser designed for scouring the surface, knocking off small bits that could be collected with the scoop ...... hold on just a minute! That sounds very familiar. I'm sure I've seen something like that in game. :D

Now I could see the sense in research limpets if we were, say, sampling the deep atmosphere of gas giants where our ships would get crushed, or retrieving life forms from oceans, but surely a sample drill, maybe even if it was on a long arm, would suffice both for the SRV and ship.

Hopefully the research limpets will gain a more meaningful use once we get atmosphere, the current implementation may be testing the water so to speak.

I couldn't agree more. Mining has more "research" game-play than exploration does :(

C

Deleted member 38366

D
I fit one but so far haven't had any chance to utilize it.

Basically only fitted it because I have Cargo Space and was never in need of a Repair Controller over any distance traveled.

And yeah, similar to the Xeno Scanner I have onboard (which apparently is a pure Thargoid scanner?), not much to do with the Equipment.
After all, it's not like we could
  • perform Level 2 and Level 3 Detail Scans on Biological entities
  • take samples
  • deliver those samples to Scientific Outposts or Contacts
  • attain more detailed results about the nature of the sampled Bios and get additional personal Codex Data on where most likely to find them and about their history/evolution etc. (basically make it a tad easier to locate the next Bio of that type and better understand what they are)
Similar to the Codex entries, we're left with some spare change amount of Credits for an activity that (when you compare Distances traveled with Missions/Passengers) otherwise would pay upto 50M Cr.

Or, perhaps, a small laser designed for scouring the surface, knocking off small bits that could be collected with the scoop ...... hold on just a minute! That sounds very familiar. I'm sure I've seen something like that in game. :D

I couldn't agree more. Mining has more "research" game-play than exploration does :(

C

Sampling strange life forms by shooting them with a laser, now where have I seen that before?

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCARADb9asE

"We come in peace shoot to kill shoot to kill shoot to kill"

Sampling strange life forms by shooting them with a laser, now where have I seen that before?

I was thinking more along the lines of the metallic crystal things, but what the heck, the other things aren't intelligent, just cut bits off and scoop 'em up :D

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCARADb9asE

"We come in peace shoot to kill shoot to kill shoot to kill"

Ah, Star Trekkin'. I've not heard that in years. Thank you. It always makes me smile :D

C

Top Bottom