Rethinking HRP

So your argument against HRPs in additional slots is that it allows too many options and your argument against limiting defensive modules to defensive slots is that it takes too many options away?

- - - Updated - - -

That's the thing, everything they added to increase player choice actually reduced player choice in my opinion.

It didn't in theory, FDev is just really, really bad at balance and listens to the players over the numbers.

Even if it is limited to the original suggestion then ships with more module bays are penalised compared to those with few module bays.

You could make the amount of slots variable. Also, ships with more module slots are usually mulitpurpose while ships with fewer slots are combat orientated. I think it makes sense that a military vessel has better armour.
Doesn't make any sense.

PS
Why are they even penalised in the first place? Ships with lots of slots can fit more magic potions and MRPs.

- - - Updated - - -

It didn't in theory, FDev is just really, really bad at balance and listens to the players over the numbers.

Yes, I think most buffs are just too strong. The problem with balance is that there is a huge difference between fitting one module or ten modules of the same type. Maybe this should be limited.

Last edited:
Well how it detects the damage types is obvious (from a gaming perspective) but the rest is news to me. HRPs give HP and resistances (in small amounts non-engineered), so how can this be true unless the game detects the damage is collision/drop-out/heat based and then deliberately scales the damage up to deal an equal percentage?

What you may have heard (asides from the fact collisions ignore resistances) is that your ship takes damage to it's "integrity" over time described as wear/tear. As this decreases your ship hull strength does to, and some explorers are of the opinion that consequently HRPs are useless because when integrity hits 0% you're gonna melt under hull damage anyway.

I don't understand this stat explicitly (and would love to be corrected) but my awareness of it is that when all the way at 0%, which takes some time, your ship has 30% less hull strength. That doesn't exactly make HRPs useless, and it doesn't stop them being a nice buffer against an inopportune collision...

I find hull strength becomes more significant the more I've had to drink.

Maybe that is where I have got confused. Thanks. No need to head back to Colonia after all.

Edit - : Oh then I vote HRPs remain available to all.

Last edited:
Yes, I think most buffs are just too strong. The problem with balance is that there is a huge difference between fitting one module or ten modules of the same type. Maybe this should be limited.

Module stacking isn't bad. What's bad is that we have so few module types to choose from, so our only option is to stack, and when we do you always end up with one optimal solution.

FDev need to do for optional internals and utility slots what they did for weapons with Engineers. Throw a whole bunch of crap out there at once and sort the mess out later. They'll never get defensive and utility modules sorted out until there is more variety.

Ship balance should be a matter of rock, paper scissors if you want to avoid the one meta to rule them all syndrome. Engineered lasers should have remained super effective against shields as they were in 2.1 testing. Hull defenses are in a good spot right now I think, along with the weapons to counter it. Countermeasures are a joke for anyone but casual players. Heat is no longer a threatening mechanic. Silent running is dead.

At one point in time, 1.3 or 1.4 I think it was(?) we were tantalizingly close to realizing the rock paper scissors ideal. But instead of FDev balancing stuff like silent running hull tanking ships, they deleted the option from the game entirely. This trend continued with every juicy, interesting option that rose to the top. Heat weapons were nerfed to the point of uselessness instead of balanced. EARLY early in the game missiles were hit with the nerf bat so hard it took them almost 2 years to recover, etc....

FDev don't know how to adjust problematic mechanics in moderation. Their favorite solution is to just get rid of them.

Top Bottom