Returning after 2 years

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Two points:

1) Don't restart until after Tuesday (if you've been away 2 years you may not know there is a release then which changes stuff)
2) Engineering is actually less important than ever - now we have Guardian (non-engineerable) modules for many slots that are certainly viable for PvE. They require unlocks, so some hate them (no, you can't but them with IRL $$$ :) ), but they are an alternative - I kitted an Anti-Xeno Krait from scratch yesterday and was surprised how little engineering it needed.

(Now my prediction: posts about Guardian unlocks being a grind will follow ;) I unlocked all 3 Guardian Fighters yesterday, took a 2-3 hours including travel time. We need an ISO definition of grind :) )

Am I basically all but forced to grind to get mats for modding?

Only high-rank NPCs (Master and higher, IIRC) have any mods at all, and only ones in threat 5+ signal sources or wing assassination missions have weapon mods. Most NPC content can be done without any modding, with only modestly more difficulty than before.

If you want to quickly return to a PvP competitive loadout, yes, you will need to 'grind' materials for mods. Personally, I'd recommend just playing the game and gathering stuff as one gradually becomes familiar with the changes.

Why don't they give elite a player market? Whereby players who collected that stuff and got the final product modded, could sell it?

Sell it for what?

The material economy exists largely because the credit economy never really did and what placeholders they had quickly spiraled out of control.

Is that why community goals never complete anymore Babelfisch? Because things are great and everyone is happy?

'any more'? lol most have been completing at the top grade recently - despite the ongoing beta. Even the weird S&R one. If yr gonna troll then at least try to be accurate :D

OP, among other things, this is what's been going on since the release of Horizons:

[video=youtube_share;sK3_Qter3vk]https://youtu.be/sK3_Qter3vk[/video]

@the OP

I came back in May after an enforced 18mo break. I always play in open with an asp Explorer and vulture, mostly within the bubble. I have middling ranks as I don't play that often.

There's plenty of gameplay available without getting ganked. Don't worry and just get stuck in.

Although, best to wait until Tuesday or later as chpt 4 drops them with major updates to mining and exploring. The beta was hugely enjoyable and can't wait till the full release is out.

Yeah that's a nice way to deny reality, judge the game based off of the beta and not the live servers. No most of them have not been completing, and no most not everyone is happy with the game. Trade CGs in particular never complete. That's why you constantly see valid negative criticisms on the YouTubers comment sections. That's why you constantly see complaints about grindiness and lack of engagement.

Because unlike you and your friend, most everyone else does not live in a self-created delusion. Just because you choose to lie to yourself does not mean that I'm not accurate.

That's why the game barely can sustain 4000 players currently. No everybody is not happy and no things are not well.

Some of the people on this forum would think Frontier ****ting in their cereal is great, so those judgments are completely worthless. Endless undue praise is just as damaging as endless undue negativity.

Comments like "create your own fun" by racing and bull****ing around is indicative of what's wrong with this game. Players of a good game should not have to create their own delusion. Players of this game should not constantly have to ask others how to find meaningful content or a way to be meaningfully rewarded for their time. If they do, that's a failure of the game creator.

Last edited:
Yeah that's a nice way to deny reality, judge the game based off of the beta and not the live servers. No most of them have not been completing, and no most not everyone is happy with the game. Trade CGs in particular never complete. That's why you constantly see valid negative criticisms on the YouTubers comment sections. That's why you constantly see complaints about grindiness and lack of engagement.

Because unlike you and your friend, most everyone else does not live in a self-created delusion. Just because you choose to lie to yourself does not mean that I'm not accurate.

That's why the game barely can sustain 4000 players currently. No everybody is not happy and no things are not well.

Some of the people on this forum would think Frontier ****ting in their cereal is great, so those judgments are completely worthless. Endless undue praise is just as damaging as endless undue negativity.

Comments like "create your own fun" by racing and bull****ing around is indicative of what's wrong with this game. Players of a good game should not have to create their own delusion. Players of this game should not constantly have to ask others how to find meaningful content or a way to be meaningfully rewarded for their time. If they do, that's a failure of the game creator.

I have bought several games where it turned out I didn't really like them as much as I thought I would. I just don't play them. I don't troll their forums either. Maybe you could try that?

Last edited:
Please don't tell people off for posting questions. No one is forcing anyone to reply to this thread. Don't like it - move along.

I think its a good thing to point out a potential issue with a certain question.
For example expecting things to have changed to your preference when youve been away for years.

To OP, im an on and off player myself but I think its safe to say that your overall opinion about the game will be the same now as it was before, the game has indeed changed and added new content, but overall its still the same game. If you didnt enjoy it before you probably wont enjoy it now.

OP, in the two years that you've been gone, too many cmdrs have taken advantage of the several cash expolits that came and went. So also due to credit inflation, there's now a secondary materials market in order to get engr'd upgrades. It's not really that hard to get the materials these days. Your ships now have material bins for each type so you don't have to drop other mats to make room for a specific type anymore. The materials trader makes trading for more common materials easy cutting down a lot of searching-grind time to acquire them. The FSD booster just takes an afternoon session or two in time to acquire. And as mentioned you don't need all maxed grade 5 ranks with engr's to enjoy the game and be competitive to at least the npc's. Winged missions had arrived since you've been gone, heck a lot of new things not apparent on the surface. So you can team up with other non-griefer pc's. And the last big batch of Beyond updates are coming within days. Have fun.

Last edited:
@Riverside. If you had the ability to understand as well as you think, you would know that people don't criticize things that they hate. People also don't join forums to offer their opinions on games that they could care less about. People criticize because they want to see improvements. People draw attention to the deficits of the game creator because they care about the property.

Expecting everyone to simply expouse your approval of the game is immature and unrealistic. That's the real problem with these forums,too many people looking to invalidate the concerns of others based on their arbitrary requirement of "post worthiness"or their arbitrary requirements of experience level.

When the truth is that many of these zealots would never accept criticism even if someone played the game for 10 years.

Those sort of individuals are just as poisonous to this game. If it wasn't for people criticizing time wasters and grinding for the sake of grinding many things in this game wouldn't be different.

Engineering would still be a slot machine. USSs would not be improving. Exploration would not be improving. We wouldn't have 100 slots for every material. We would still need manufactured materials just to upgrade a piece of equipment.

No, constructive criticism is valuable. Those things changed because of criticism. That's what I love the most about YouTube and the people in our community that provide great content.

Yamiks especially because he is one of the only ones willing to be brutally honest about things that are needing improvements in this game. Because those comment sections and commentary are the only truly unbiased sources of feedback that Frontier can find because these forums do not have it.

Telling others to simply go away if they aren't zealots is just immature behavior. Maybe I'm the only actual adult on these forums.

Last edited:
Is that why community goals never complete anymore Babelfisch? Because things are great and everyone is happy?

Just checked the last 18 community goals and they all completed, then I got bored. You are making telling people they are wrong on the internet way too easy.

@Riverside. If you had the ability to understand as well as you think, you would know that people don't criticize things that they hate. People also don't join forums to offer their opinions on games that they could care less about. People criticize because they want to see improvements. People draw attention to the deficits of the game creator because they care about the property.

Expecting everyone to simply expouse your approval of the game is immature and unrealistic. That's the real problem with these forums,too many people looking to invalidate the concerns of others based on their arbitrary requirement of "post worthiness"or their arbitrary requirements of experience level.

When the truth is that many of these zealots would never accept criticism even if someone played the game for 10 years.

Those sort of individuals are just as poisonous to this game. If it wasn't for people criticizing time wasters and grinding for the sake of grinding many things in this game wouldn't be different.

Engineering would still be a slot machine. USSs would not be improving. Exploration would not be improving. We wouldn't have 100 slots for every material. We would still need manufactured materials just to upgrade a piece of equipment.

No, constructive criticism is valuable. Those things changed because of criticism. That's what I love the most about YouTube and the people in our community that provide great content.

Yamiks especially because he is one of the only ones willing to be brutally honest about things that are needing improvements in this game. Because those comment sections and commentary are the only truly unbiased sources of feedback that Frontier can find because these forums do not have it.

Telling others to simply go away if they aren't zealots is just immature behavior. Maybe I'm the only actual adult on these forums.

Who criticises the criticisers though? If I would say the game sucks because of the inability to play football, would you blindly agree with me just because criticism is always a good thing? Calling yourself the only actual adult on the forum somewhat weakens your position by the way.

As a young child, I had a toy that consisted of nothing more than a small cup on the end of a stick with a string and a ball attached. The object was to catch the ball in the cup. I played all day every day for months; Got to a point where I could do it with my eyes closed from any postion imagainable. Grew tired of it and stopped. After a week or so, I was asked by a buddy as to why I quit and replied that there's nothing more I can accomplish, I had mastered it. He said that he had done the same as I, but continued to play using his other hand. Boom, though it nothing had changed as far as the toy or object, the game took on a whole new persona in which because I had mastered it with my right hand, switched to my left. Long story short, it's been more than 50 years and I've still not mastered it left handed.

ED has a hugh learning curve, once learned it can get a bit boring. But with SO many different aspects to the game. Trying an alternative can put new life back into it.

As a ED NOOB, I was amoung the throng that hated, detested, and spoke negatively about it in any and all post I came accross. After almost 2 years now since launch on the ps4. I've learned that though one doesn't have to ever engineer anything to play the game, if and when one does, it not only gives purpose, it enhances the game. It took a bit of time to realize that I didn't hate engineering, I hated the previous process. Same goes for the fear of posible griefing I was concerned about. I use to post nothing but negatives in regards to possibility of griefing when in reality, I hadn't even been involved. Again, it was the process I was concerned with. Once I learned there was options like only playing in solo or joining and or starting a private game, or just learning how to run via low waking and or high waking. I quit playing in solo, and now only play in open. Where as in the last 8 months, I've only been interdicted 6 times by humans, and lost the minigame only twice, in which I without hesitation low and or highwaked. With no regard to the interdictor reason(s) for interdicting me. Though it was his or her's deceision and play style, it wasn't mine.

Thus ED is a game one can play their own way if and when they choose. Or get caught up in someone's else play and complain about it. We player's have a tendency to want everything done the way we want it. FDev has to sort it all out and attempts to make everyone happy. The latter isn't possible, but cudos to FDev for trying.

If you don't like ED pop off and play something else. Its just a video game you really don't need to tell everyone how super upset you are about it.

Achilles7

Banned
If you don't like ED pop off and play something else. Its just a video game you really don't need to tell everyone how super upset you are about it.

Stig of the Dumb strikes again...obsequious, passive-aggressive trolling at its finest :D

@Riverside. Well I feel bad for your intelligence if that's the case. To each their own.

@Stigbob I could just as easily tell you that if you don't have anything to contribute then don't post. However I'm not a moron so I won't tell you that. I realize other people have a right to post even if they don't agree with me. Amazing what maturity can give you. Criticism improves the game, just like I said in my last post with examples. Learn to deal with opposing views like an adult. Or don't that's your business.

@babelfisch. Completely ridiculous suggestion because I don't think people looking for football would play a space simulator video game. People looking to actually contribute to a conversation don't actually criticize the criticizers. People that are mature critique actual content of the message with logic, only immature people seek to belittle the person bringing the criticism. However it doesn't surprise me if you believe that to be normal because honestly a lot of people do.

Also know I don't consider those CGs to have finished, simply earning a reward is not finishing. If they can't finish with a high tier they don't finish imo.You can pretend you don't know what I mean that's your business. 4000 concurrent users does not lie.

I don't mind being a blunt person, it's not my problem if everyone else is too weak or immature to deal with it. Respect is earned so it doesn't bother me if you feel like me being blunt weakens my position. I'm the person that I am because what other people think does not bother me. The forum zealousness creates my view of this forum. I am the product of it. If this forum had better people I wouldn't have to be so crass.

I try my luck here very rarely, hold out hope that our community can actually behave like the grown men and women most of us are, yet this forum always proves me wrong. YouTube creators in our community is the only real way for Frontier to get a grasp of unbiased commentary.

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom