Newcomer / Intro Returning player after about 2 years

I normally hate these types of posts, so apologies in advance :LOL:

870 hours in Elite, so I know the basics, but I've been completely out for 2 years. Not playing, watching videso, nada. I want to jump back in, but would like to a know a summary of new things that have been added, so I can perhaps pursue them as activities. I've been watching some videos in the past cpl of days. For instance:

• something about SCO drives?
  • The Conduit? A ferry service that runs semi- regularly?
  • Can get a taxi to places, but how about my ships- presumably I summon them when i get there?
  • Other story arcs I can follow?
I know PowerPlay is due for an overhaul, i don't think it's happened yet though.

If anyone could assist with some pointers, I'd be grateful (I have all the DLCs, so no barriers there).

Cheers! o7

870 hours in Elite, so I know the basics, but I've been completely out for 2 years. Not playing, watching videso, nada. I want to jump back in, but would like to a know a summary of new things that have been added, so I can perhaps pursue them as activities. I've been watching some videos in the past cpl of days. For instance:

Those are an experimental version of the FSD which radically cuts interstellar range (back to Sidewinder levels) but in system has a TURBO BOOST!!! button. It is hellaciously hard to control, eats fuel, and turns most of the fuel into heat instantly, but you can get out of gravity wells in seconds rather than minutes.

The speculation is it fits with the narrative around the NEW SHIPS somehow, the first of which is a Python Mk II. The streamers had some early access to that yesterday (?) but I would honestly let everyone else figure out all the super-new stuff for a while if I was just returning.

I'll pass on that one, dunno
  • Can get a taxi to places, but how about my ships- presumably I summon them when i get there?
Summoning ships has been in the game for YEARS hasn't it? So... yes?

Anti-Xeno / Thargoids:
  • you can now buy all the anti-corrosion goodies and the right weapons and just join right in without having to grind out all the engineering, and humanity is currently working through eliminating the Titans one by one.
  • there's a planetside thing called "Spires" with various Thargs to frag and on-foot missions to complete

I know PowerPlay is due for an overhaul, i don't think it's happened yet though.
Nope, August - but it's worth you watching the last "Frameshift Live" stream (which are now once a month and cover all of FDev not just Elite. The last one has an hour plus on just Elite though so worth a watch, goes into a LOT of depth on how PP 2.0 will change things.)

Depending on exact length of "couple of years" you might FSS and DSS have changed a bit

I normally hate these types of posts, so apologies in advance :LOL:

These are in terms of jump range similar to normal C class FSDs, they cannot be engineered but do work with the Guardian FSD booster. They turn fuel into heat very fast so you will be dead in space without power if you don’t cook yourself first, if you use them wisely you can can speed up supercruise times a lot. Some ships are insanely erratic while the drive is toggled on by whatever control you have bound to boost.

There is a weekly ferry out to guardian space and back but that has been around a while and there are people who run carriers out to Colonia which probably matches the semi regular bit.

Yes Apex taxis from offices in stations etc, can also be called when you are out on foot. Yes as long as your current ship is empty you can get it called over to the station you are on possibly while out on foot as well.
There was a big livestream about it on the 24th but it hasn’t happened yet.

If anyone could assist with some pointers, I'd be grateful (I have all the DLCs, so no barriers there).

Cheers! o7
There are going to be 4 new ships in Odyssey this year, the first is the Python MkII various streaming partners of FDev got to try it on a test server yesterday and it will be available for early access for a payment in Arx from the 7th and for credits in Odyssey in August Horizons live players will only be able to get it for Arx. The next ship might be a T8 no other clues yet.

FDev have a regular livestream on the last Wednesday of the month at 6pm UK time around half of each one has been ED so far.

Top Bottom