Returning Player Looking At Trying VR

I would install both Legacy and Odyssey if you have bought Odyssey.
Legacy will have better VR performance, old UI with old planet tech ( that I prefer for its verity )
Odyssey does have the new planet tech with Atmospheric planets and new plant life it discover.

Then you can see the version that preformed and looks the best to you.

All that said Elite Dangerous is assume in VR.

I brought Odyssey on the Frontier site and downloaded the Elite Dangerous: Odyssey installer, which is currently downloading. I figured this was the best way to run ED using Oculus Rift in VR or in pancake mode. Furthermore, I assumed the launcher would then give me a choice of either running Legacy or Odyssey. I can download Elite Dangerous: Horizons - Season Pass installer as well, should I?

Last edited:
I wasn't sure of the context, but you are probably correct!

It is correct. I didn't mean FPS sucks in VR. Third person or first person. I just meant FDev development of FPS for VR users sucks, or short cut, or whatever. All they needed was to remove the gray mat stuff and keep the UI and controller setup the same. I think it would be fine then, with maybe a further performance drop. Who knows. But no intent of saying FPS's in general are not good in VR, quite the contrary.

I brought Odyssey on the Frontier site and downloaded the Elite Dangerous: Odyssey installer, which is currently downloading. I figured this was the best way to run ED using Oculus Rift in VR or in pancake mode. Furthermore, I assumed the launcher would then give me a choice of either running Legacy or Odyssey. I can download Elite Dangerous: Horizons - Season Pass installer as well, should I?
If bough Odyssey you can install all versions of Elite Dangerous and havr 6 options to load and play, first 4 being the Elite Dangerous Universe.

the Launcher will give you these options

Elite dangerous; Odyssey
Elite Dangerous; Horizons ( Odyssey without the legs stuff )
Legacy Horizons ( that is version Horizons 3.8 )
Legacy Elite Dangerous ( pre Horizons 3.8 )
Elite Dangerous; Arena ( mini game of small ship combat against other players )
Single Player Combat Trainer

Your best VR option for VR performance is Legacy Horizons ( Horizons 3.8 )
Odyssey is the Version that Fdev is keeping current and updating.

For VR check out both versions Odyssey & Horizons Legacy to see which you Prefer.

If bough Odyssey you can install all versions of Elite Dangerous and havr 6 options to load and play, first 4 being the Elite Dangerous Universe.

the Launcher will give you these options

Elite dangerous; Odyssey
Elite Dangerous; Horizons ( Odyssey without the legs stuff )
Legacy Horizons ( that is version Horizons 3.8 )
Legacy Elite Dangerous ( pre Horizons 3.8 )
Elite Dangerous; Arena ( mini game of small ship combat against other players )
Single Player Combat Trainer

Your best VR option for VR performance is Legacy Horizons ( Horizons 3.8 )
Odyssey is the Version that Fdev is keeping current and updating.

For VR check out both versions Odyssey & Horizons Legacy to see which you Prefer.

My launcher (Steam) only shows Horizons and Legacy Horizons, along with the arena and single player combat. I bought Odessey and it's listed in my DLCs. Do I need to do something to get Odessey to show up? There's no install option on the DLC.

Most of you won't remember me.
The system will be an i9-13900KF, 32GB DDR5, 2TB NVMe SSD and an RTX 4090. Parts are still arriving and it looks to be about a week out.
I do :)
Similar build to the one I built the other week, except I went for an i7, 64Gb and 2 x 1Tb NVMe drives (Never put your OS on the same physical drive as your data :D)

Yeah, it took a while to get everything delivered and put together, but it's all running. I like the Pico 4 better, so I sent the G2 back.
I went for the Reverb G2 and it's great! Been using an Oculus CV1 and a 980TI for the last 7 years, and a DK2 before that.
Why didn't you like the G2? I'm loving mine with full ultra settings.
How you finding the Pico?

VR in the game is incredible!
Yes, yes it is! VR ruined certain games for me as pancake mode is just a bit MEH after you have played in VR!
I remember the first time I opened the galaxy map and viewed the trade routes. Just sat there for about an hr using language that would make a sailor blush :D
One thing I learned was to not set the headset down upside down and take a break.
Always log to main menu, or desktop, never leave yourself logged in...you just don't know when you'll come back to a rebuy screen! Happened once to me...and only once.

Glad you're enjoying ED in VR o7

Why didn't you like the G2? I'm loving mine with full ultra settings.
How you finding the Pico?

I'm not saying that I didn't like the G2, but the Pico has better peripheral focus. I also like that I have a choice of running the Pico untethered for a few hours or tethered to a power supply for unlimited use.

The Pico says it has a 2 hour run time on battery, but I used it for longer than that before plugging it in. The cord that comes with it is too short, but I got a longer one on Amazon.

The downside to the Pico is that it's "banned" in the US, so you have to jump through a few minor hoops to get it online here. It wasn't difficult, though. Google knows everything.

My launcher (Steam) only shows Horizons and Legacy Horizons, along with the arena and single player combat. I bought Odessey and it's listed in my DLCs. Do I need to do something to get Odessey to show up? There's no install option on the DLC.

I, by-passed steam, and brought Odyssey from the Frontier store and downloaded that installer. So in the Frontier ED launcher I have all version available to me. This has the added benefit when using Oculus Rift, SteamVR is not loaded. In answer to your question, I have no-idea, as the entire version history at steam, and DLC is a bit of a mess.

Last edited:
Most of you won't remember me. I haven't played ED for several years and haven't bought the new DLC.

I'm building a system that should be able to handle VR, but from what I'm reading here, there are issues. Most of what I read looked like old information.

The headset I'm looking at getting is the HP Reverb G2 V2. If there's a better headset, please let me know. I'm a complete noob as far as VR goes.

The system will be an i9-13900KF, 32GB DDR5, 2TB NVMe SSD and an RTX 4090. Parts are still arriving and it looks to be about a week out.

Also, any hints as far as setup would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
I remember you Motti been a while :)

I also use Steam.
After purchasing Odyssey if I remember correctly, you need to go to the Frontier web site and link your account to Steam and the new Odyssey purchase.

I also use Steam.
After purchasing Odyssey if I remember correctly, you need to go to the Frontier web site and link your account to Steam and the new Odyssey purchase.
Thanks. I linked my Steam and Frontier accounts, but Frontier only shows purchases up through 2017. No biggie, I guess, since I won't be using legs for quite some time.

So, the pirates finally got me. Lost a cutter full of goodies, but the new rebuy screen is a lot better than the old one. It's a lot more straightforward than the old one and there's no way I can see of accidentally losing your ship by clicking the wrong button. I'd call it a major improvement. Good job, FD. :)

Thank goodness for insurance. A tad over 25 mil to replace an engineered cutter is a bargain. I'll make that back pretty quickly. Credits seem easier to come by now. I made almost 2 billion since I restarted the game. That would have taken me several months of intense effort before, but I've been just lazily mining and bounty hunting and having a generally good time. My focus has been on turning neutral and unfriendly factions green. Rescuing the "bad guys" that I "killed" and returning their escape pods is a new thing for me. The game is fresh again. I'm liking it a lot.

Returning Player Looking At Trying VR​

And after a very short time starts chanting

"I need a holiday, or Star Citizen 4.03 in VR."

How did you lose a cutter to NPCs?! :D
I'm not used to my new bindings. I started to revert to my old ones and things went south. By the time I got them straight in my mind, my shields were down, but I figured I could still stay and fight. I've only been playing for a few weeks and it's a disadvantage to have old bindings memories creep up. It's not that big of a deal, though. Being an "expert pilot" in a game isn't anything to take pride in.

I'm not used to my new bindings. I started to revert to my old ones and things went south. By the time I got them straight in my mind, my shields were down, but I figured I could still stay and fight. I've only been playing for a few weeks and it's a disadvantage to have old bindings memories creep up. It's not that big of a deal, though. Being an "expert pilot" in a game isn't anything to take pride in.
Ahhhhh a non combat, combat ship :)
New bindings can cause all sorts of humorous mishaps.
I know everyone is different, but I only ever put weapons on my combat ships. My mining, exploring, trade, taxi, research etc ships are not equipped with weapons for combat.
You stayed to fight a pirate, but even if you killed it then it would not really benefit you in the grand scheme of things...in fact it slowed down your trading.
Boost, boost, boost, jump to SC and go on your merry way.
Although it did show you that your cutter is woefully under equipped in the shields and armour department. So while you did lose a cutter you can now improve on the build ;)

Just recently upgraded to a new HOSAS, been creating hate and discontent with remembering binds , almost lost my Krait.

My landings are starting to get back to normal as I am getting used to the stick.

Top Bottom