RIDES.....

I think most of us are on the same page here anyway, but just to weigh in: Planet Zoo will have a couple of transport rides (such as the already announced Steam Train and Wildlife Tour) which have a main purpose of moving guests around habitats to give some more visibility to the animals - they will also fulfill your guests' entertainment need.
Of course we do not want to disturb the animals or cause them any unnecessary stress, so things like coasters and other disruptive attractions are not part of Planet Zoo!
Thanks for the clarification, it helps me with my decision to purchase or not, I have visted over 20 Zoo with rides from small kids rides upto full sized Rollercoasters, Sadly, If Planet Zoo doesnt want to stay close to real life , Im unlikey to be in, but thats fine and I wish you well with the Game, Ill be here waiting for Planco 2 :) (Just dont put animals in it ha)

I have visted over 20 Zoo with rides from small kids rides upto full sized Rollercoasters
Well, I can do a 100 and the biggest ride I'll see will be a kid train and let's be honest animals won't care about that, but having full-sized Rollercoaster in zoo is something I'll never understand and never approve...
Sadly, If Planet Zoo doesnt want to stay close to real life

Oh boy... Planet Zoo is almost as close as real-life as possible and that is solely the reason why rollercoasters won't ever (hopefully) be there... I know it's more of an American thing with their "theme parks" stuff but in Europe, there aren't AFAIK many rollercoasters in zoos. And if I wildly guess if it calls itself "zoo" I think even in America aren't many institutions with rollercoaster...

Im in Europe and im talking about European parks.

YOU may never approve but others do, I dont see the issue of saying "Its in game but I wont use it" as opposed to saying "I wont use it , dont add it in game" The more OPTIONS in game the better for all no?

YOU may never approve but others do, I dont see the issue of saying "Its in game but I wont use it" as opposed to saying "I wont use it , dont add it in game" The more OPTIONS in game the better for all no?
In theory yes, in practice no. Everything they add means something else will not be added because there is only a limited amount of work which can be put into the game. And I (as many others) definitely prefer if they focus on the animal aspect rather than to create an hybrid game. Plus having coasters and animals could lead to drastically decreased performance because the engine has to handle different things and can't be optimized as much. And furthermore no matter if they belong in a zoo ot not, most people seem to be against coasters (at least I get the impression following this thread). That means coasters wont sell as much as additional animals and the 'option' to build coasters wouldn't be used by many people. Lastly the developers have an imagine how they game should be and every little additional content should be fitting or acceptable with this image in mind. They aleeady stated that coasters wont come, (right?), so it clearly doesn't.

Last edited:
Im in Europe and im talking about European parks.
Seems like we visit very different zoos...I mean I struggle to come up with European zoos that have genuine rollercoaster-like attraction, Flamingo Land maybe? But that is one...

As you say if they add it I won't use it, others might that is perfectly fine, others might not use things I will. It's similar to the cetacean discussion but also very different.

With cetaceans, you have the ethical issue and whatnot, but at least it's a discussion about animals in a zoo game and discussion that is very frequent in real life as well...

But rollercoasters are something much different. As @NeedPlanetZoo already said, putting rollercoasters in the game is essentially a ton of extra work on non-relevant content in terms of modern zoos. The developers stated many times, that realism and conservation message is important to them and rollercoasters are something that real zoos just won't do as its way too costly to build and maintain something like that and the money can be spent in many better ways...The only "ride" thing you see are safari trains/buses and these will be in the game.

Actually maybe I would be ok with having rollercoasters in it but only if it would drastically decrease the welfare of animals living in close proximity of it.

Remember when someone (I'm not mentioning the name) said that the majority of this Forum wants Rides and that someone couldn't speak for people he's been chatting with for years?.... Yeah😂😂😂

That can't be me then ¯\(ツ)/¯ as I didn't say the majority of "this" forum wants to see rides, see "this" forum would entail the minor people that still come here since the launch of Planet Coaster, and the new members who joined this year like yourself, so obviously I know "this" forum doesn't want rides.

However, the majority of the community want rides, based on suggestions for Planet Coaster DLC's back in 2015, as well as polls on facebook pages, and posts on reddit, I did however say that somebody who has been here all of 5 minutes probably shouldn't talk on behalf of the community.

Anyway, regardless of clarification or somebodies opinion, I think it's a bit crappy to go to someone's post and say "you shouldn't want that, because x, y, z"

p.s. I would like animals in future planet coaster games, because I'd like to re-create real life parks that I enjoy, regardless of whether animal care is the main thing, or park simulation is the main thing, it's not bad to want things is it?

Last edited:
Oh boy... Planet Zoo is almost as close as real-life as possible and that is solely the reason why rollercoasters won't ever (hopefully) be there... I know it's more of an American thing with their "theme parks" stuff but in Europe, there aren't AFAIK many rollercoasters in zoos. And if I wildly guess if it calls itself "zoo" I think even in America aren't many institutions with rollercoaster...

So, I'm not into having rides in this game. If a zoo wants to have rides in real life they should just do whatever pleases them.

BUT, there are plenty of zoo's in Europe that utilize this system as well.

A short summary of places that come up at this moment:

- Adventurepark Wildlands Emmen, NL
Has 3 "rides" and a double Vekoma kiddie boomerang. Park is not reaching it's full potential, because people in Holland think the park is struggling with an identity crisis because it doesn't know what it wants to be, a zoo or a theme park. My wife's been there, and she says it's a good park, but overpriced.

- Chessington World of Adventures, UK.
I've been there, really lovely park, but the park is clearly split in two halfs.

- Flamingo Land, UK.
Haven't been there, but has about 4-5 coasters I believe.

- Kolmarden Zoo, Sweden
Has the largest RMC.

As far as I know, all these parks started as a Zoo.

Of course, I won't mind not having rides, or having them. And I don't believe that is Frontier's focus for this game.

I've been there, really lovely park, but the park is clearly split in two halfs.
Maaaan, I haven't been in so long, I wanted to go earlier this year because it's a mixture of both, they have so much more stuff there too since I last went (2004) bigger expansion on the zoo, some safari thing, a hotel, the sealife center, I wonder if I can squeeze a trip in before it starts getting too cold :(

• Like (+1)
Reactions: LN
However, the majority of the community want rides, based on suggestions for Planet Coaster DLC's back in 2015, as well as polls on facebook pages, and posts on reddit, I did however say that somebody who has been here all of 5 minutes probably shouldn't talk on behalf of the community.

We should distuingish better what the 'community' means in this case. Planet Zoo is a new standalone game, so the community should be seen as a new one too in my eyes, even if there are people who belong to both. There are new people and some of the old 'Planet Coaster people' might not care about this game so they aren't involved.

Nobody ever has the right to talk for the 'whole community' so I do believe the only option is to read the reactions and get a feeling how the majority of the community feels.

And while everybody may state his wishes it is as much allowed to wish for those things to not be added; that is a wish on its own. Adding reasons and explaining the opinion never makes it worse as long as ot happens respectfully.
(And lastly the Community Manager(?) liked the first response herself and she pretty much speaks for frontier development.)

Anyways I wish you good luck to find a suitable game which allows both sides but Planet Zoo seems to never become this.

Maaaan, I haven't been in so long, I wanted to go earlier this year because it's a mixture of both, they have so much more stuff there too since I last went (2004) bigger expansion on the zoo, some safari thing, a hotel, the sealife center, I wonder if I can squeeze a trip in before it starts getting too cold :(

When we were in London we visited both Chessington and Thorpe.

Chessington was so much better, not only theming but they also have a great variety of rides.

They have what I believe is one of the better spinning coasters. That thing is crazy.

Thanks for the list, it helps me to specify the point I want to make - when these parks exist, they are often split into two halves - zoo and rollercoasters separately, as I feel this is the best possible option for all interested parties.

If there is a ride directly in the zoo, it's usually some train/truck/boat ride through exhibits (Chester, Leipzig or basically every Safari park Hodenhagen or Dvur Kralove for example) and I'm ok with those, even though when I do visit, I don't really use them unless I have to.

I think it's a bit crappy to go to someone's post and say "you shouldn't want that, because x, y, z"

I can't share this sentiment, I think it's absolutely reasonable to discuss everyone's wishes in terms of how likely they actually are. I mean writing "You shouldn't want that" is not the way to go, you can't dictate people what they should and shouldn't want but it's fair to discuss if we should expect species that are not kept in captivity at all...

I think the rule of thumb here is that we're fine with your opinions provided you give reasonable arguments to support it. The definition of reasonable is subjective tho...

Well, I can do a 100 and the biggest ride I'll see will be a kid train and let's be honest animals won't care about that, but having full-sized Rollercoaster in zoo is something I'll never understand and never approve...

Heck, most zoos in America don't even have Coasters in them, or at least most certified zoos.

That can't be me then ¯\(ツ)/¯ as I didn't say the majority of "this" forum wants to see rides, see "this" forum would entail the minor people that still come here since the launch of Planet Coaster, and the new members who joined this year like yourself, so obviously I know "this" forum doesn't want rides.

Anyway, regardless of clarification or somebodies opinion, I think it's a bit crappy to go to someone's post and say "you shouldn't want that, because x, y, z"

p.s. I would like animals in future planet coaster games, because I'd like to re-create real life parks that I enjoy, regardless of whether animal care is the main thing, or park simulation is the main thing, it's not bad to want things is it?

Correction: Most of the planet coaster community want theme park rides in planet zoo. I haven't seen many people in the actual planet zoo community wanting that. Its kind of important to note that both communities are separate.

I've been to 14 different zoos, sanctuaries, eco-parks, conservation parks ect in Canada, and over 20 if we count north america as a whole, not one of them has roller coasters or other large thrill rides, so please stop with the "if you don't want to be realistic" or whatnot, because not having coasters IS realistic, in fact more realistic than having coaster so..

The game focuses on animals, zoos, animal conservation and well being, I don't understand how people are just not able to accept this and move on, sorry if I come off aggressively or rude, it's not my intention, but at this point if you aren't happy with it, then just play planco? seems like theme parks are more your thing, and maybe build fake zoos with the animatroic animals on the workshop?

I for one, don't really like building theme parks, I love watching lets plays of planco and I always get so inspired,because it's an awesome game, but then I end up quitting on it because for whatever reason, I just can't finish it. Theme park creation is not for me., and zoo creation may not be for you.

Correction: Most of the planet coaster community want theme park rides in planet zoo. I haven't seen many people in the actual planet zoo community wanting that. Its kind of important to note that both communities are separate.

This.

Not to mention that most people who bring up the point that most zoos have theme park rides only mention like 5 "zoos" where there are at least 20 zoos in America that I can think of without theme park rides, well at least certified zoos.

I think it's pointless to go round and round the houses on this as the developers have been pretty clear so regardless of people's opinions / preferences the matter is settled at least for the short term. I suspect that (not discounting that other reasons may have influenced them) the biggest issues, and the reason planet zoo is a separate stand-alone game, are technical. The peep mechanics seem to be pretty different in PZ (they probably don't actually have a 'need' to go on rides), the weather system would complicate things and I suspect there are other routing / systems / balance issues which would make larger rides problematic. To make something 'realistic' in terms of joint theme and zoo parks (which is how I would describe Busch gardens, Flamingo land etc.) you would need a really wide selection of rides and attractions or soon everyone would complain there isn't enough variety and the scope would get insane. With PC we've seen the limit of how much mid and high-end computers can handle.

So I think worrying about how realistic / common it is seems a bit pointless. After all it's demonstrably true that everyone on this thread is right: there are loads of zoos without rides, there are some zoos with them.

So, I'm not into having rides in this game. If a zoo wants to have rides in real life they should just do whatever pleases them.

A short summary of places that come up at this moment:

- Adventurepark Wildlands Emmen, NL
Has 3 "rides" and a double Vekoma kiddie boomerang. Park is not reaching it's full potential, because people in Holland think the park is struggling with an identity crisis because it doesn't know what it wants to be, a zoo or a theme park. My wife's been there, and she says it's a good park, but overpriced.

- Flamingo Land, UK.
Haven't been there, but has about 4-5 coasters I believe.

- Kolmarden Zoo, Sweden
Has the largest RMC.

As far as I know, all these parks started as a Zoo.

Of course, I won't mind not having rides, or having them. And I don't believe that is Frontier's focus for this game.
Flmanigo Land actually has 7 Coasters and are building one currently with 10 inversions !!!

but i disagree so....yeah, anyway, its clear there ARE PLENTRY of Zoo's with rides INC Coasters. and that CUSTOMERS of Froniter do want rides (Some dont but having them and not using them wont affect such customers )

Top Bottom