Rift users! Let's make space dark again! Fix for the Rift CV1 bad low-end gamma.

Hey,

I tried this again on the Vive Pro, which is so good that is just cries for really dark skies, and I have to say so far I am really impressed. The only thing about it annoying me at the moment is it seems to distort the relationship between the Great Rift dust and clouds and the dark stars, making them a bit green/bluer and a lot brighter than the surrounding stars? Maybe that description isn't so accurate but I haven't really played around with it much yet.

I think I will now include it in EDP. EDP is growing and adding more unrelated features anyway so might as well include this.

Any further tips you guys with experience have about this would be appreciated!

Lastly, have to say I absolutely love what this does to witch space!!!!!!!

EDIT: I've coded it in and working, will update EDP soon.

EDIT: Update is LIVE

EDIT: Modified to include more settings, and linked to the MK II thread for this concept

EDIT: This is where it's up to now. Yes, that's a very accurate live-updating preview, and live-updating accurate graph
06q7sKE.png

I've been playing with this since i saw the first post by Horizone many moons ago. I began using the 'demos' site as seen in the 'make space dark again II' thread on Dar|{cyde post #9. https://www.desmos.com/calculator/bpiterq7mn

The time I've put in experimenting with this is HUGE! So it's with absolute glee, happiness and joy that I can now use this tool! Cuts down the time immensely! and a review screen too!

MANY MANY MANY thanks drkaii... rep and donation coming to you. If I were a woman I'd kiss you :)

I am going to quote myself here...

I wish there was a in-game tool of some sort to really see the curve and a test picture so one could experiment with the values and observe the difference when changing values.

drkaii, you have made my wish come true. The new EDProfiler is awesome...

And huge respect to A D for explaining everything and keeping the ball rolling in the Tone Mapping - Let's Make Space Dark Again Mk II thread.

Best community ever.

These settings don't seem to do anything now, are there any other settings or code to adjust the black levels?
Thanks.

Are you sure they don't do anything? I was mucking about with EDP last night and accidentally made all the space stations a white-ish colour.

Tone mapping checkbox is greyed out on EDP on my computer and I read elsewhere that it no longer works with the current version of ED.
I've tried changing the tone mapping and hitting apply but no change.
Is the tone mapping checkbox not greyed out on yours?

Sorry, didn't get a chance to test last night. However, I think you're right in that my tick box was greyed out. It was the GUI setting I was mucking about with, but that definitely appeared to have an effect on how stations and game looked until I reset everything back.

I say chaps. Is anyone finding that altering the filmic tone mappings in the graphics configuration file isnt having any effect anymore ?

Flimley

There's a new mod out now that works.

POSTED BY USER A D:

Following the recent patch to ED I have updated the mod to use the most recent version of 3DMigoto. If you are using an earlier version of the mod there is no need to update it unless you are experiencing problems (error messages) since the recent ED patch.

The mod contains the same options as the earlier versions, which are:

• Remove particles (star streaks) in supercruise.
  • Remove particles (dust) in normal flight.
  • Remove vertical lines from the cockpit in supercruise.
  • Remove streaks from ship windscreen.
  • Remove the haze from inside of starports.
  • Remove the haze when on planet surfaces.
  • Remove external "circle", object and target placeholders and orbital lines (hard mode).
The mod options can be enabled or disabled to your liking. All mod options are enabled by default except hard mode which is for CMDRS wanting a more challenging play mode.

The mod was tested in 2D and VR using un-modded standard game settings in "ultra". A PC version of ED purchased through the Frontier Developments or Steam Store is required. The mod may work with a PC version of Elite Dangerous purchased through the Oculus Rift Store, but some issues have been detected by CMDRS using that version of the game. Testing the mod on my rig (Win 10, Nvidia graphics card) did not throw up any loading errors and all of the mod options appeared to work as intended.

If you would like to try the mod or update an earlier version of the mod, then:

1. Uninstall any existing version of 3DMigoto using the "uninstall.bat" file (found in the existing installation directory).

2. Download 3DMigoto (version 1.3.14) from GitHub.

3. Extract the archive into a temp directory.

4. Copy all of the contents of the X64 directory to the same directory as your ED executable (the game directory will end in something like "C:\ … \Products\elite-dangerous-64").

5. Download the attached .txt file and rename it "d3dx.ini" (without quotes).

6. Place modded d3dx.ini file in the same directory that you installed 3DMigoto (to replace the default d3dx.ini file).

That's it. Ready to go! Just play ED as you normally do.

NOTE: Don't forget to refresh your game shaders after installation of the mod using the game settings (which allow you to reload the shaders on startup). :)

ATTACHED FILE: View attachment d3dx V3.txt

NOTE: Updating ED will remove the 3DMigoto and the mod. Just reinstall in the same way after the update to keep using the mod.

I just thought I would mention it here as this was the thread I kept finding when searching for a solution to the black levels.

Top Bottom