Rift users! Let's make space dark again! Fix for the Rift CV1 bad low-end gamma.

For sure going to try this on my rift tonight, just to be sure, as of 2.3 what is the correct file I am copying from the few I have seen on this post so far? I don't want to copy an old file config. Thanks

For sure going to try this on my rift tonight, just to be sure, as of 2.3 what is the correct file I am copying from the few I have seen on this post so far? I don't want to copy an old file config. Thanks

C:\Users\-Yourname-\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Graphics\GraphicsConfigurationOverride.xml

Here is how you lay it out if you also have the UI colors changed:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<GraphicsConfig>
<HDRNode_Reference>
<ToeDenominator>0.2078</ToeDenominator>
<ToeStrength>0.2300</ToeStrength>
</HDRNode_Reference>
<GUIColour>
<Default>
<LocalisationName>Standard</LocalisationName>
<MatrixRed> #, #, # </MatrixRed>
<MatrixGreen> #, #, # </MatrixGreen>
<MatrixBlue> #, #, # </MatrixBlue>
</Default>
</GUIColour>
</GraphicsConfig>

Where the # symbol is your own UI colors.

C:\Users\-Yourname-\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Graphics\GraphicsConfigurationOverride.xml

Here is how you lay it out if you also have the UI colors changed:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<GraphicsConfig>
<HDRNode_Reference>
<ToeDenominator>0.2078</ToeDenominator>
<ToeStrength>0.2300</ToeStrength>
</HDRNode_Reference>
<GUIColour>
<Default>
<LocalisationName>Standard</LocalisationName>
<MatrixRed> #, #, # </MatrixRed>
<MatrixGreen> #, #, # </MatrixGreen>
<MatrixBlue> #, #, # </MatrixBlue>
</Default>
</GUIColour>
</GraphicsConfig>

Where the # symbol is your own UI colors.

Great TY will try this tonight. Thnx again!

I find it rather amusing that an OLED panel is having issues recreating proper blacks. This comes from the perspective of an ISF calibrator, and someone who has been in the AV industry sine 1995.

For those without any understanding of what I am on about - OLED basically emits no light at all for black - it is true black, that is the big deal with OLED panels. Surpassing even the mighty Kuro.

Anyways, will give this a test run myself.

Z...

I find it rather amusing that an OLED panel is having issues recreating proper blacks. This comes from the perspective of an ISF calibrator, and someone who has been in the AV industry sine 1995.

For those without any understanding of what I am on about - OLED basically emits no light at all for black - it is true black, that is the big deal with OLED panels. Surpassing even the mighty Kuro.

Anyways, will give this a test run myself.

Z...
As far as I understand in VR headsets they avoid setting OLED pixels all black on purpose because from that state they take a longer time to go back to a brighter state again - leading to the dreaded "black smear" effect.

Good tweak thanks!
I'm pretty new to the Rift and I'm having real trouble with godrays and blotchy darks.
This tweak is good for getting the darks darker, but is there any tweaks for making the stars a not so bright? A lot of the whites are piercingly bright and this enormous contrast is exacerbating the godray problem I reckon.
(A good old-fashioned general brightness slider would do the trick, but even in NVidia control panel this of course doesn't work)

Before mucking around with the low level graphics settings for ED, it is worth checking that your graphic card is using the full RGB colour range. By default Nvidia uses a limited RBG colour range (at least for HDMI connections).

If you are using your HMD in direct mode you won't see the colour range option in the Nvidia control panel because your HMD does not show up as a monitor. The work around is:

- Turn your computer off.
- Unplug the Oculus from the HDMI connector.
- Plug in a monitor or television in the same HDMI connector and turn the computer back on.
- Open the Nvidia Control panel. The monitor will appear as a normal display and the colour display settings will be available.
- The default colour scheme will be "RGB". Next to that the colour range will probably be set as "Limited". Click the drop down and choose "Full" and hit "Apply".
- Turn off your computer again. It's a hard setting and will be saved.
- Unplug the monitor and plug your Oculus back in.
- Turn your computer back on.

When you next boot up ED in VR the blacks should be a little darker as your graphics card is (I believe) using the full RGB range for the HDMI connection that your Oculus is using. Obviously this has the advantage of not changing the colour scheme FD has chosen for the game, but if still dissatisfied, can teak the gamma settings or game config. :)

o7

Last edited:
http://filmicworlds.com/blog/filmic-tonemapping-with-piecewise-power-curves/

That is why you don't fare too well just changing a value. It messes up the curves. You need to change multiple values at once.

On the plus side, he gives some code that lets you adjust the curves. Brilliant stuff, that guy knows his job. @Drkaii could use that code to make dials that will give values to plug into the GraphicsConfigurationOverride.xml.
interesting find. Yea, it'd be nice to have that integrated in the Drkaii's profile switcher.

The game needs to provide some way to make those changes before they can be integrated into any tweaker like EDP. Not sure that the game even does, not to mention not sure I am smart enough to understand what he is talking about! But thanks for letting me know, maybe this can work

Seems the required values are exposed, but are not exactly the same as described in the provided link. So it needs some deeper undestanding of the matter to properly utilize them.

Code:
<GraphicsConfig>
  <HDRNode>
        <ShoulderStrength>0.491000</ShoulderStrength>
        <LinearStrength>0.707000</LinearStrength>
        <LinearAngle>0.704000</LinearAngle>
        <ToeStrength>1.185000</ToeStrength>
        <ToeNumerator>1.377000</ToeNumerator>
        <ToeDenominator>1.976000</ToeDenominator>
        <LinearWhite>5.242000</LinearWhite>
  </HDRNode>
</GraphicsConfig>

Seems the required values are exposed, but are not exactly the same as described in the provided link. So it needs some deeper undestanding of the matter to properly utilize them.

Code:
<GraphicsConfig>
  <HDRNode>
        <ShoulderStrength>0.491000</ShoulderStrength>
        <LinearStrength>0.707000</LinearStrength>
        <LinearAngle>0.704000</LinearAngle>
        <ToeStrength>1.185000</ToeStrength>
        <ToeNumerator>1.377000</ToeNumerator>
        <ToeDenominator>1.976000</ToeDenominator>
        <LinearWhite>5.242000</LinearWhite>
  </HDRNode>
</GraphicsConfig>

Yes this might very well be beyond me but I will have a look. Unfortunately I don't want to make EDP open sourced for various good reasons so if someone wants to help they have to be comfortable with that, but I would of course welcome help. This would be a nice feature if I could get it implemented

As far as I understand in VR headsets they avoid setting OLED pixels all black on purpose because from that state they take a longer time to go back to a brighter state again - leading to the dreaded "black smear" effect.

My Vive is black in space, my Rift isnt... I play ED on my Vive most of the time because of this [and the improved colour depth in general.] The Rift gets used too, but now that the novelty of a new HMD has worn off I've returned to the Vive, for Elite, because of the colour - I notice it more when exploring.

I'm not trying to put one against the other as they're both mintox, and the choice of what one to use often comes down to which one is currently plugged in, but if I plan to head out into the black for a few hours, I'll likely switch to the Vive

Last edited:
Before mucking around with the low level graphics settings for ED, it is worth checking that your graphic card is using the full RGB colour range. By default Nvidia uses a limited RBG colour range (at least for HDMI connections).

If you are using your HMD in direct mode you won't see the colour range option in the Nvidia control panel because your HMD does not show up as a monitor. The work around is:

- Turn your computer off.
- Unplug the Oculus from the HDMI connector.
- Plug in a monitor or television in the same HDMI connector and turn the computer back on.
- Open the Nvidia Control panel. The monitor will appear as a normal display and the colour display settings will be available.
- The default colour scheme will be "RGB". Next to that the colour range will probably be set as "Limited". Click the drop down and choose "Full" and hit "Apply".
- Turn off your computer again. It's a hard setting and will be saved.
- Unplug the monitor and plug your Oculus back in.
- Turn your computer back on.

When you next boot up ED in VR the blacks should be a little darker as your graphics card is (I believe) using the full RGB range for the HDMI connection that your Oculus is using. Obviously this has the advantage of not changing the colour scheme FD has chosen for the game, but if still dissatisfied, can teak the gamma settings or game config. :)

o7

There is also a fix that you can run for this issue here:
http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?p=83

I don't understand why it would need to be addressed at the NVidia driver level, seeing as the same game install, same computer and video hardware, but different HMD gives different results. If I adjust it through NVidia, won't it ruin everything else on my PC that runs fine, colour wise, outside of the Oculus?

Top Bottom