Right on Commander

Would you love to see "Right on Commander!" or other rank-progression message?

• Yes - Would add a nice trophy/personal touch to the game

Votes: 20 74.1%
  • No - Happy with just the Status update

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Don't Mind

Votes: 3 11.1%

• Total voters
Yup, Im now a Master and not had anything to tell me of any rank ups.
I do miss it. However this is not the original Elite and I suppose they want to do things a little differently.

The dev update mentioned differing missions as your rank improves. Perhaps we will see other forms of recognition as well.

Do any fans of the original Elite not miss the "Right on Commander!" message each time you gain a new rank? I for one would love a blue text indicator each time. Surely this would be an easy thing to implement?

I do miss it - and also the sudden fear that you get realising you have just been fighting about 15 ships and three waves of thargoids trying to get your narcotics to a station that is about 1000LS away still and you have a completely shot up ship no ecm to talk about and you had just used your energy bomb. Then actually making it to the station and finding the docking computer died in that last battle and for the first time in three weeks you have to manually dock just after your third vodka and coke

you enter the port and your shields disappear as you scream "noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!" as you realise you are back to competent again as you are back in the previous station and your rank up doesnt count

Glorious days

Do any fans of the original Elite not miss the "Right on Commander!" message each time you gain a new rank? I for one would love a blue text indicator each time. Surely this would be an easy thing to implement?

Myself and others have made countless threads begging for this to be added but for some unknown reason they won't add it. (They've not said they won't but we've been asking for many months and I would think it would be a very simple thing to add, so I can only assume they don't want it. Huge shame, I loved that.)

Hopefully - and I appreciate this isn't the original and needs to set itself apart etc - just felt one little extra text message amongst all the other notifications would keep us original fans that little bit happier :)

Avago Earo

Banned
I just make do with a voice in my head saying 'Right On Commander' when I get served at the Off Licence. Small steps... ;)

SlackR

Banned
Myself and others have made countless threads begging for this to be added but for some unknown reason they won't add it. (They've not said they won't but we've been asking for many months and I would think it would be a very simple thing to add, so I can only assume they don't want it. Huge shame, I loved that.)

They said it was on the to do list but not a high priority.. So weird as such a simple addition you would think.

I suppose it's a bit old hat now, does anyone actually say 'Right on' anymore ?
it's a bit like saying 'Groovy" or 'Far out'.

But it might have been a nostalgic tip of the hat to the original if they put it in, and some sort of congratulation when ranking up would be nice.

Avago Earo

Banned
I suppose it's a bit old hat now, does anyone actually say 'Right on' anymore ?
it's a bit like saying 'Groovy" or 'Far out'.

But it might have been a nostalgic tip of the hat to the original if they put it in, and some sort of congratulation when ranking up would be nice.

I think your point is "Ace!"

I agree, find out I've 'been promoted' by complete accident, just not the same, I do miss that thrill when you win a difficult fight and it flashed up on screen...

Yeah, it would be nice to have a notification. Its always a surprise when i glance over at my ranks to discover they have increased.

It was displayed every 256 kills, or points, wasn't it? It would serve a purpose letting you know you were progressing, but aside from that, the whole '84 vibe makes it reinstatement essential, I tell you. :)

Yeah, definitely, bring it back, please.

Like many others, I have asked for this over and over!

The pure joy of those three little words takes me back to the good old days....

Come on FD !
My development process is prioritised on Bang per Buck:

Value to Customer / Cost to Develop

This has to be RIGHT at the top !

Is it just my hazy school boy memory but in the BBC version did you only get the "Right on Commander" message when you triggered one of the missions? I only ever seem to remember seeing it a few times, first time was shooting a pirate then getting offered the first mission (hunt the ship with the special armour that only military lasers could scratch), second time was completing that then the 3&4th was the Thargoid message mission where you pretty much had to cross one of the galaxies....?

Top Bottom