Horizons RIP Scarlet (and a lil rant)

So just now I lost my SLF pilot Scarlet Dikson...
I hired her at harmless rank and worked her up to expert. I had grown attached... after all it felt like I had someone playing with me, a little taipan zipping about around my anaconda, chatting away.

Why? How did it happen?
I was stupid, that is how.
We were in my Anaconda and on a mission to deliver 33 units of medicine to a planetary base.
But the world had 5g gravity (4.96g to be exact) and I first thought to abort it but... it was medicine... you don't just abandon medicine... So kept course for the port. keeping all energy to engines and any spare to shields. but when my glide finished we were still going too fast and last ditch effort I swung up and boosted. Still crashed into the surface right next to the base... only 20% hull integity left. I tried to get off the ground, kept the up-thrust key in so I could lift off but my ship could just barely get off the ground. then I tried look to my side menue to ask for docking premission but in that 1 second I wasnt holding down up-thrust the ship dorpped like a rock and died.

a dead co-pilot and a 7mil insurance cost

worse is the faction leader coming after to rub salt into the wounds, complaining about his medicine that got destroyed in the crash.

And ya know what? I don't care! I hope that station rots. really who the hell builds on a 5g world?! "oh but there is minerals and-" Shush! real life they would have just flown down drones and robotics. cause leaving a person to live under 5g would kill them. (Yes I know about 'jet fighters and astronaughts experince lots of g-force strain' but its not 24/7 that they are under those heavy forces) And how did they get materials there to build? Probably a swarm of Haulers all engineered with lightweight equipment and enhanced drives.

but still... no amount of complaining and crying is going to bring back Scarlet. She's dead now...
And so is 6 other people, after all I had stopped round another planet before that and found a crashed ship with 6 occupied escape pods.

Wish there was some kind of "ship too large" warning(like on outpost thingies) for missions headed to high gravity worlds... But for now if I see another world with more than 2g then I am going the other way instantly. even if its medicine to combat an outbreak, they can all rot, I'll just jettison it all.

Now just hire a new co-pilot? Its just 1s and 0s after all. Its Just a game. Think I'll take a break and just listen to Bohemian Rhapsody.

There isn't a warning for high g worlds as it is dependent on the pilot. A Conda can be landed on 6-7 g planets if done right. Not that I'd advice that, mind you. I wouldn't take missions for 5g planets too easily with the Conda, that's for sure.

Sorry for your loss though. I have a fighter pilot with me I have trained all the way from harmless to deadly (~80% of Elite done). I know how it would sting to loose her. That is why I have already started to train a second one and as soon as the first one hits Elite I am putting her on a holiday for a good long while.

Last edited:

dayrth

Volunteer Moderator
I lost a fighter pilot recently. It's oddly disconcerting. Losing a ship is not a problem. If you have the rebuy then you get the exact same thing back instantly. Even if you don't you can grind the credits and work your way back to it, but with the npc crew they are all unique. When one dies you will never see them again. I was quite upset. Got a new crew member now and I am a lot more careful with my ship than I ever was before.

Last edited:
Top Bottom