Rob Holdstock gave me a mission when I was searching for The Dark Wheel. And I am an idiot.

About a month ago I decided to solve TDW toast.
Things were going smooth. First went to the jewel that burns, then listened to whispers and then....
ragugoofmermaid.jpg

Of course I found him. Mermaid == Siren from the depths. Know your mythology 101.
ragugo.jpg
Funny thing is - when I finished the mission I instantly got continuation mission in the goal base. And I had to build reputation to access it.
After that - same thing. New base, new linked mission, need allied status. I was definitely being led somewhere.
After that - again. Third base that forced me to become ally to continue with the linked mission. Never happened to me before, never after.
Lost the track (had a break from the game, mission timed off). Then searched aimlessly.
And then got another mission. Fortunately I recorded it, unfortunately did not record HOW and where I got it.
robholdstock.jpg

Finished it and shrugged it off as some normal mission.
"Rob Holdstock... Hmmm that name sounds somehow familiar..."

A few weeks later (and a save reset)...
Hm... Maybe I should rewatch my previous investigation?

"Rob Holdstock... Hmmm that name sounds REALLY familiar... Oh right, wasn't he The Dark Wheel author?........... Oh..."
After all, who would be a better character to lead us to the dark whel base than the man himself?

Now I try to repeat my previous steps, but some conditions are not met.
Ragugo is not spawning, although whispers can still be heard. I may be missing something that I did in my previous play. Something as simple as visiting a station...

Congratulations! I am an idiot.
An idiot that will (hopefully one day) solve TDW toast.

It sounds like you should be congratulated for getting so far in less than a month last time. & thanks for the suggestion around galaxies - there are an awful lot of myths and lots I looked at seemed promising but don't appear to have produced obvious results.

I'm not sure there is anyone in a position to help you but in terms of where you are these would seem to be the options:-

1 There is some other requirement you overlooked, e.g. a need to be elite / double / triple / quad elite. You're best placed to know the answer to that
2 You did the correct things for Jewel and/or Whispers without realising and incorrectly assigned them to the two answers you tried 2nd time around
3 Ragugo and Rob were random spawns and you didn't get anywhere last time. That sounds unlikely but who knows (and if you can at some point repeat it then that has to be a clear sign right?)
4 If you still have all your journal files you could look through them and see if anything prompts your memory
5 Or I suppose you could be trolling, in which case well played sir :cool:

Good luck

1 There is some other requirement you overlooked, e.g. a need to be elite / double / triple / quad elite. You're best placed to know the answer to that
2 You did the correct things for Jewel and/or Whispers without realising and incorrectly assigned them to the two answers you tried 2nd time around

That's what I am most afraid of. Small, unknown condition overlooked by me.

3 Ragugo and Rob were random spawns and you didn't get anywhere last time. That sounds unlikely but who knows (and if you can at some point repeat it then that has to be a clear sign right?)

Can't say much about rob, but ragugo spawned twice in exactly the same manner, so I think it was hand-crafted, not some random npc.

4 If you still have all your journal files you could look through them and see if anything prompts your memory

Did that, but they were incomplete after resetting save

5 Or I suppose you could be trolling, in which case well played sir

Nah, trolling is a waste of time.

That's what I am most afraid of. Small, unknown condition overlooked by me.

What access to the Major Factions/Superpowers did you have? I have seen some commanders being granted "Dark Wheel" ranks, not to be confused with the minor faction based in Shinrarta Dezhra.

A pilgrimage to the testing site once you've reached these requirements may grant you rank in Dark Wheel

... I have seen some commanders being granted "Dark Wheel" ranks, not to be confused with the minor faction based in Shinrarta Dezhra.
Yeah, "Dark Wheel" but not "THE Dark Wheel".
I've gotten 2 or 3 of those. ... because the squadron I am in is called "Dark Wheel".

What access to the Major Factions/Superpowers did you have? I have seen some commanders being granted "Dark Wheel" ranks, not to be confused with the minor faction based in Shinrarta Dezhra.

A pilgrimage to the testing site once you've reached these requirements may grant you rank in Dark Wheel

Picture or didn't happen.

Yeah, "Dark Wheel" but not "THE Dark Wheel".
I've gotten 2 or 3 of those. ... because the squadron I am in is called "Dark Wheel".

Hmm, wasn't familiar with that feature (had a few years with the ships mothballed). I can't see Squadron roles externally, so would you be able to see if Drew is a member of your Squadron. See below

Picture or didn't happen.
Source: https://imgur.com/a/78evnkq#pXOclMQ

I'll grant you it doesn't follow the other Superpowers format ( <Superpower> <Service Arm (eg Navy)> "Promotion to " <rank>), but the dates on the logs are very circumspect; maybe i've just been hoodwinked by CMDR Harkin Ryder, with some impeccable timing.

Rewatching the logs, it does seem that, at the very least, it is not immediately correlated with visiting the Base.

Yep. Drew is a member of the Squad.
And the first time I was promoted in "Dark Wheel", and I was like OMG, what did I do to get that then I realized it was a squadron thing.

Top Bottom