Rotate times for maintenance and updates

I know I'll be totally alone in this but I'll ask anyway ...

Would be nice if you rotated the times for updates and server maintenance. It literally falls on prime after work/evening downtime in Australia every damn time. Would be nice if we could share the "can't play" love around a little.

Update ... can't play ... maintenance 2 days later .. can't play. Like a lot of other players, I am a working adult with a lot of other commitments, so sitting down to ED when I can is my down time. So again, please consider rotating update/maintenance times a little. Give the Aussies a break.

Thanks o7

Set times for the weekly tick are useful and lead to less confusion. A different time to suit those down under would adversely affect those of us in the old world. Someone has to have a suitable time, others will find it not suitable.

The daily tick is now around midnight UTC which means the old world does not get to see the update until about 8 hours after it has run. Not ideal for me.

Steve

Not an unreasonable request from your point on view, however the impact could be server maintenance having issues (like today) and no one around to fix it.
I had not even considered that.

As with all server adjustments, much better to have staff available to run it and deal with any problems.

Steve

I live in Australia, I like knowing exactly when the servers are going down every week, nothing would annoy me more to log on at a random time on a random day during the week only to find the servers are going down for maintenance in 20 minutes just when I had planned to play for solid couple of hours! That would be entirely unacceptable, my game time is important, I plan around the maintenance because I know exactly when it is.

I live in Australia, I like knowing exactly when the servers are going down every week, nothing would annoy me more to log on at a random time on a random day during the week only to find the servers are going down for maintenance in 20 minutes just when I had planned to play for solid couple of hours! That would be entirely unacceptable, my game time is important, I plan around the maintenance because I know exactly when it is.
I disagree. It falls at the worst time every week.

Depends on your point of view. As someone involved in any form of maintenance, if something was to go wrong, I'd rather have it do so first thing in the morning so I have all day to fix it.

Just take a look at any game updates. They always start early in the morning so there's time to sort out problems without having to pull a night shift.

Last edited:
Well you may disagree but since FDev is in UK - maintenance is set for early morning - when everyone is fresh and has all work day to fix whatever issues may appear
Well yes ... as per my OP ... I know I'd be alone is this ... but this is Suggestions ... so I ask.

I have several games I play, the thing they all have in common is maintenance, and you know they all have a fixed time and day they do this on, one does it every Wednesday afternoon, one does it every Thursday afternoon, the fact that it falls on the worst time for you every week is beside the point, change it to something else and it will be the worse time for someone else somewhere in the world. The important thing is to have it consistent and predictable so you can, you know, plan around it without having to check before you log on every time to make sure they aren't about to go down for maintenance. I feel for you, I really do being a fellow Australian, but they set the time for maintenance to do as little as possible disruption to their main player base, we aren't it, in fact we aren't it for any game I know of, they aren't going to change it, plan around it!

I have several games I play, the thing they all have in common is maintenance, and you know they all have a fixed time and day they do this on, one does it every Wednesday afternoon, one does it every Thursday afternoon, the fact that it falls on the worst time for you every week is beside the point, change it to something else and it will be the worse time for someone else somewhere in the world. The important thing is to have it consistent and predictable so you can, you know, plan around it without having to check before you log on every time to make sure they aren't about to go down for maintenance. I feel for you, I really do being a fellow Australian, but they set the time for maintenance to do as little as possible disruption to their main player base, we aren't it, in fact we aren't it for any game I know of, they aren't going to change it, plan around it!
Oh I understand all of that. However I live by the maxim - Don't ask, you don't get. I completely understand it will most likely never happen .... but ... still have to ask.

Oh I understand all of that. However I live by the maxim - Don't ask, you don't get. I completely understand it will most likely never happen .... but ... still have to ask.
Yes but it looked like you were asking for it to be randomised so that not only would it be at an inconvenient time for some players each weak it would be a different group of players inconvenienced on a different day next week which would make things worse for everyone including the people covering the maintenance.

Yes but it looked like you were asking for it to be randomised so that not only would it be at an inconvenient time for some players each weak it would be a different group of players inconvenienced on a different day next week which would make things worse for everyone including the people covering the maintenance.
Well yes ... that's what I am asking for ... sharing the inconvenience around ... so it's not ALWAYS the same people. Any way ... I'll leave that there.

It is annoying for us in the southern hemisphere for sure - even if it was just a couple of hours later would be peachy.
Also, I would love, love, love it if the weekly downtime would also bring with it a trivial QOL of minor bug fix download patch each week. How cool would it be every week having a "ooh, I wonder what they will fix this week?" instead of just "dammit, I forgot its offline for half an hour". lol

It is annoying for us in the southern hemisphere for sure - even if it was just a couple of hours later would be peachy.
As pointed out a couple of hours later is inconvenient for the people actually doing the work at Frontier, right now it's pretty much the first thing they do at the start of the day.
Also, I would love, love, love it if the weekly downtime would also bring with it a trivial QOL of minor bug fix download patch each week. How cool would it be every week having a "ooh, I wonder what they will fix this week?" instead of just "dammit, I forgot its offline for half an hour". lol
The coders at Frontier are sharpening their knives right now for your suggestion of weekly crunch.

Top Bottom