Rubbish at FPS games. What can I do in Odyssey to ease me in?

O7 all
I'm an experienced horizons player & am going to buy Odyssey now it seems the stuttering settlement issue has been resolved. However, I usually play 4X / Grand Strategy games and suck at FPS.

Can anyone pls give me some
  • FPS hints / tips
  • "easy" starter missions / missions to avoid / suggested ED:O activities
  • starter suit / weapon combinations
  • etc

Thank all
Zee

Get some G3 stuff from this thread (last pages), will make your start easier:

Also aim with the pointy side of your gun towards enemies, and shoot them in the face 😁

O7 all
I'm an experienced horizons player & am going to buy Odyssey now it seems the stuttering settlement issue has been resolved. However, I usually play 4X / Grand Strategy games and suck at FPS.

• FPS hints / tips
  • etc

Thank all
Zee
When under fire, don't stand still, find cover if possible. If you see a grenade landing near you, jump away and use the jumpjets to get out of the affected area.

I also suck at the FPS stuff. Take it slow. If a mission has a threat rating and scavengers or pirates are around you can bomb them from the air with dumbfire missiles to reduce the numbers. Sometimes they land after you land or have done something, so always have a clear route back to your ship so you can jump back in and bomb the newcomers, or use your SRV to kill them.

Get some G3 stuff as above. And remember that your shield is not deployed automatically, you must manually activate it.

Mission wise, do the simple delivery type missions at first -- go to a settlement, get something from a box (or an NPC now), bring it back. Get used the the on-foot UI.

Combat wise, the exterminate scavenger missions aren't too bad. You can also jump into a low conflict zone (check security level of the base, you want security 1) and just goof around in there getting used to how the combat works. If you die you just respawn, and there's really no penalty for losing. Just try again.

Read this thread and watch the videos -->https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/the-definitive-stealth-guide.579192/

I'm not an FPS guy either, but I've been having a blast with the missions. They get quite involved, and I love stealth anyway.

FPS mouse controls 101 :
  • Try to set your mouse sensitivity as low as possible, lower is your sensi higher will be your accuracy.
  • The trick is to find the lowest value where you're still comfortable with running / moving around.
  • Use the whole surface of your mousepad.
  • You look around / rotate with your forearm and you aim with your wrist.
(see the "Palm Grip" : The Best Mouse Grip For Gaming)

Last edited:
O7 all

• FPS hints / tips
  • etc

Thank all
Zee

High ground is your friend and when you can shoot at bad guys from the top of buildings and use cover as much as possible. Be mindful that some of the buildings have stairs so NPCs can flank you and climb to where you are.

O7 all

• FPS hints / tips
  • etc

Thank all
Zee
I would recommend checking out some Threat Level 0 missions so you can learn the basics without getting the crap kicked out of you.

These missions include your standard "grab this and bring it back" as well as "deilver this to so and so".....

Good luck. May the Dude guide your travels.

fetch.JPG

1. Avoid the FPS stuff to start.
    1. Do delivery missions, fetch things
    2. Get to know the layouts.
    3. (Power restores are good too, but there is an RNG chance of enemies arriving when the power is turned on.)
  2. Make it easier
    1. Go to low security bases, where the opposition is lighter
    2. Make sure you bounties are clear
    3. Get to know the base layouts
  3. Take your time
    1. Learn how to tail people into buildings
    2. Git gud at cloning security profiles
    3. Some panels in some bases are off patrol routes, so erm... Get to know the base layouts
  4. Learn how to avoid being over run by enemies
    1. Learn how to turn off alarms, so you only have to tackle people who heard you
    2. There are some places you can actually run to and hide when things get rough, if you know the layouts
    3. Get used to throwing grenades for when things get tough
  5. Practice
    1. "Kill the scavengers" many times. There are no alarms, no skimmers, its just you versus anyone who hears you.
    2. CZs are a good way of getting better. You can die a lot, but come straight back into the action, so it doesn't matter.
  6. Pick up some tricks
    1. "It wasn't me Guv, honest" If no-one spots you committing a crime, and you aren't there when they investigate it... it must have been the other guy
    2. "Snitches get stitches" If spotted and you kill them quickly, you won't get tagged for the offence. Also works when the next one comes to investigate
    3. If your enemies throw shield deactivating grenades at you and you turn off your shield, then you don't get your shield deactivated and can turn it straight back on after the explosion.
  7. Gear up
    1. G3 is good enough to start
    2. A large backpack is great until you start to need to be more discerning, then its a waste of an upgrade slot
    3. Maybe don't G5 your first stuff, instead work out what works at G2-G3 then G5 that.
    4. Discover the "2-shots kills anything" G3 Executioner (1 shot for the shields and 1 to finish)

Last edited:
Tag along with someone more experienced. They can mentor you and help you find your feet, and you will get to see and practice activities. And grab loot.

Steve 07.

Use Laser Weapons. The kinetic are woefully underpowered, and the Plasma have low projectile velocity, and thus require a fairly advanced user at anything outside short range.

Distance is always your friend. The enemies in the game generally have poor accuracy, with exception of the snipers, who have pinpoint accuracy, but typically engage at such long distances, even moderate movement is enough to evade their fire.

Aim Center-mass always. It's tempting to go for a headshot, but Aim Small, Miss Small.

Automatic weapons should not be fired in fully automatic unless the target is really close. Short controlled bursts, Let go 1-5 shots, ease off the trigger to get your sight picture back, and then let off another burst.

If you're caught out in the open, keep moving. Don't stop strafing left and right. If you have to sprint away from hostiles, don't sprint straight, perform the "Serpentine" maneuver, that is, sprint but make an S running pattern as you cut left and right relative to the enemy, while also running to your destination. Likewise, if you are determined to fight back in this situation, Strafe > Sight > Burst > Unsight > Strafe > Resight > Burst > Unsight > Strafe. This will naturally alter your movement speed and make it hard for an enemy (Player or AI) to properly lead you. Being inconsistent in your movement is the key to surviving, ESPECIALLY against other commanders.

Note that against Players, it's tempting to Jump and boost, however most good players will be able to very easily lead you in the air, and you won't be able to alter your direction very well. So while short "Bunny Hops" are helpful, avoid getting any serious airtime in this situations. The AI is completely indifferent to tracking the player across all the axis. They are equally incompetent on X or Z.

Last edited:

Stealthie

Banned
I'd suggest going to an FPS CZ and just hooning around.

Most FPS interactions will dump you back on your ship if you get "killed" but CZs just put you back in a drop-ship and you get to have another go.

Obviously, a CZ won't give you much opportunity to learn about being sneaky, avoiding guards, using the various tools or stealing stuffz but they will give you an opportunity to get comfortable with the whole FPS thing with almost zero consequences.

What control system do you use, keyboard and mouse is the best for FPS gameplay.

If you are using a controller the game doesn’t have an aim assist like most console FPS. You can use strafe to help with the fine aim, I call it the console shuffle.

Last edited:
Top Bottom