Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Wow! 90 Hz, in the stations, with max graphics??

FOR LEGACY

I had heard that for most tasks the 5800X3D is just a mega expensive 5800x but when a game benefited from the chip's 3D v-cache wassnames, the game proper benefited. Youtubers have been claiming bonker results using the chip with the racing sims I play.
I was absolutely delighted to find out that my old MB, that back in the day rocked a Ryzen 2600x, could run a X3D with just a BIOS update so for less than £270, which included some themal paste and wipes, I thought what the heck!

I got my 3080 Ti for £1.3k a couple of years ago, upgrading from a 1070. That was quite the bump but NGL, this one is pretty huge too! For £270??

Assetto Corsa - everything maxed including the experimental and not recommended settings, full grid of cars and even added that high quality mirror mod where you can see your head in the rear view mirror.

Automobilista 2 - ultra graphics* and full grid. 90Hz. (*Though it still struggles with storms so I have turned down the puddles on the track reflections)

Elite - everything maxed. And it even had bags of headroom in stations. The only wobbles I got were in HazREZs. I couldn't place it because one minute it would be fine and then the next it would dip to just below 90Hz, triggering ASW. I think it is to do with Ultra Volumetrics but don't know because similar scenes which included the sun shining through the rings and a large battle had bags of headroom? I wonder if it debris and material drops that I (and my sensors) can't see?

I can't believe how good the game looks too, with all the effects on. I had gotten used to playing without the bells and whistles such as FX, Bloom, Volumetric etc.

If anyone has an old X470 mb like me and you play simulators. Dude!

Last edited:
Which headset / resolution? Resolution and platform matters a lot.

I also have a 3080 ti, but on a 5900X. I run a Reverb G2 (so WMR - meh), and I can nowhere near "max everything out" - I run my G2 at 50 percent in SteamVR. In stations, I am still usually GPU limited unless there's a shipyard with tons of NPCs next to it.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Have you undervolted it? I've got mine set to -30 on startup, saved a fair amount of power and got a bit of extra performance out of it too. It's a lovely CPU, though I still have issues with Elite because I've got a Radeon 6700xt.

Ditto on the undervolting. There is an app, PBO2 Tuner, that allows you to undervolt from the Windows desktop; this means you can slowly adjust your settings (-5 increments suggested) and work out what is safe values before you put it in the BIOS. Like Ozric, my 5600x is on -30, less power, less heat, clocks higher more regularly than before.

Have you undervolted it? I've got mine set to -30 on startup, saved a fair amount of power and got a bit of extra performance out of it too. It's a lovely CPU, though I still have issues with Elite because I've got a Radeon 6700xt.
Yup, should have mentioned that. It was the first thing I did.

Which headset / resolution? Resolution and platform matters a lot.

I also have a 3080 ti, but on a 5900X. I run a Reverb G2 (so WMR - meh), and I can nowhere near "max everything out" - I run my G2 at 50 percent in SteamVR. In stations, I am still usually GPU limited unless there's a shipyard with tons of NPCs next to it.
Hey dude
Win10 32GB @ 3200MHz Quest3 (4128x2208, 90Hz, 850Mbps encode). I am using wired Link and Oculus Runtime.

Are there any scenarios people would like me to trial? I OBS something if people are in a similar situation to me regarding upgrade paths and curious about performance.

Turns out the CPU struggles when recording. Don't know if it was OBS or Oculus Mirror or both but it didn't perform as well.

If anyone is interested I recorded a through-the-lense from inside a station on Sol where you should be able to see the performance graph. I took the footage from two places and tried to include traffic in the second to try to get a worst case. It doesn't look good and you might be able to here my wife playing Duolingo in the background!
Following the through-the-lense is some footage using OBS with Oculus Mirror, starting within the station, then a HIREZ in the planet's shadow and then a planetary starpoint.

Hopefully you can do a rough extrapolation to see how the CPU would perform without OBS/Oculus Mirror

Oh, I forgot to say this is Legacy

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYkPzl8ADcI

Hey dude
Win10 32GB @ 3200MHz Quest3 (4128x2208, 90Hz, 850Mbps encode). I am using wired Link and Oculus Runtime.
Thanks. I assume the resolution is total and not per eye? My render resolution is around 2200x2200 per eye, so comparable. Only places I really get unrestricted 90 fps is in open space. Most of the game happens in reprojection for me. Which is fine. I really think WMR leaves quite some performance on the table. It's a common thing I see that Oculus users with similar resolutions and hardware get much better performance than I do.

I have no experience with the modern Oculus ecosystem, is the link encoding happening on the CPU or GPU?

I think you should have had that in big, friendly letters in the thread title 😂

Soz my bad.

I forgot about Live because it doesn't work for me in VR - unless it's been fixed? I just get broken shadows on planets and planets pop out of nowhere when I travel to them. Oh yeah, the performance. I don't have Ody either.

Still, my last CPU was a Ryzen 5 3600X, with everything else the same but a lower 80Hz instead of 90Hz, I would get ASW in loads of places. Even looking down on a planet. And that's was native Oculus Runtime.

Sorry for getting people's hopes up BUT it sounds like you both are generations ahead hardware wise if you were already able to max out Legacy.

Still, if you were running an older AM4 and still on DDR4 or whatever, you'll be mean chuft and if the performance boost remains relative in Ody, I think upgrading would be no brainer.

Sounds like you guys have been able to max out Legacy 100% for ages? How long have you been able to do that for?

Sounds like you guys have been able to max out Legacy 100% for ages? How long have you been able to do that for?
Legacy VR has performed well for me for a long time - I was running mostly High/Ultra, SS+HMDQ 1.0 around Odyssey Alpha release with an i7 8700 + GTX1080 + Rift S and Legacy was fine apart from dips going through the docking slot and other busy situations. I’ve updated my system twice since then and on the rare occasions I’ve flashed up Legacy I haven’t had any frame issues even with a much higher resolution headset and pumping up the HMDQ setting.

I was pleasantly surprised how smoother performance was after upgrading my CPU - it sounds like you’ve reaped the benefit too 👍

Top Bottom