Sagittarius-Carina Mission - Route and camps

Katie's Course continued:

So travelled from Newet to Bees Patthar.

Was tempted to swing out towards the rim again but I decided to go high instead again getting away from the main route even a little bit puts you in completely unexplored space out here - I didn't see a single tagged system for the whole journey from Newet to Bees Patthar. Plus the more direct route meant that I covered the distance more quickly - a small response to some good natured ribbing by my fuelrat friends:)

On the route I discovered quite a few waterworlds including two double waterworld and one quadruple waterworld systems (to me this area seems to have an abnormally high number of them but it might just be fluke) an earth like.

I also jumped into a system and found myself between two bright B class stars that gave an erie feeling that I was being watched by some sort of stellar guardians passing between them!

One of the waterworld systems - Hypunua SA-A c22-2 Has a couple of moons 12b and c orbiting very close to each other and flying along one of the chasms I found an area of very active volcanism - c12b (latitude -26.84,-171.06 - lots of water and steam geysers, a great place to land and look at it's twin on the horizon, the geysers seem to be at least partially active most of the time (in terms of light and dark) although some of them were only active during when the spot was illuminated, it's the first time I've hunted down some geysers and they were really great fun to watch! I don't know if it justifies a poi but I'd definitely consider stopping off there for a break and a rest if you're passing.

The photos.

Mountaineering at Newet - trying to work out which of the summist of Mount Maquett is the hightest!
ik1D1yX.png

Earthlike!
hsQojAe.png

The Guardian Twins (Prie Auwsy AL-X E1-0)
fsoIrik.png

One of the many waterworlds.
WDIjbvA.png

Hypunua SA-A C22-2 - Gaukur Heima ("Gaukur's home" in Icelandic named after Gaukur Trandilsson - an exceptionally brave and gentle man who lived in 10th century Iceland, whose saga is known to have existed but was never written down and has been lost - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sagas_of_Icelanders)
bS9pJpm.png
Waterworld - Gaukur's Haf (Gaukur's Ocean) (Planet 9)
7EUZsHq.png
The Geyser systur (The Geyser sisters) (12b and c),
BYMlBLF.png
Gaukur hverir (hot springs or waters)
IVjDlh7.jpg
ZKLWNP9.jpg

(Translations to icelandic are the best I can manage not actually speaking the language and are meant respectfully after a fantastic experience I had travelling around and through the middle of iceland a couple of years ago - a fabulous country that feels very much on the edge of the world, at the frontier and where geyers are very much part of life. I hope I haven't upset anyone and appoligies if I've butchered the language, if anyone can improve the translations I appologise for any mistakes and please do! The geysers I found here being my first elite geysers really brought the memories of the real ones back! The sounds are fantastic.

Another waterworld.
IlxcdUN.png

Landed at Bees Patthar - I can confirm that the crater mentioned in the camp description is still there, but it's a tricky place to land in an anaconda - lots of "unsuitable terrain" good view though!
RliIT2B.png

Fly safe commanders!

Last edited:
Great write up, photos and discoveries! I'd submit the geysers as a POI even though there are probably billions of worlds with them because you might be the first to submit one!

Finally, I made it to 15 Sagittarii and the end of my first leg of the Sagittarius-Carina mission. Wow, it's been much longer since I left BP than I expected! Almost a year, and the last stage from 13 Mu Sagittarii took the longest so far, over 3 months, mainly because there are so many more interesting stars here than in the outer arms.

Now, as I enjoy a well earnt play in my SRV, I have to decide whether to continue on the Sag-Car route to Colonia, or to take a break and buckyball my way directly there and the neutron-boost back to the bubble...

Decided. Option 1 for now :D

Hope you enjoy the trip :)

Im currently mostly on summer hiatus (weathers too good to spend indoors) but the itch to return to cold dark space is increasing every day :D

Next on my route is crossing Viatori Patuit and reach Ultima Centauri landing site.

Have fun everyone :)

ka1IdUP.png

Putting on the large expedition logo (in GOLD) to celebrate our two year anniversary :)

We might be a whole lot fewer currently active than in the heyday of the Sag-Car Mission, but two years of continous exploration of this galactic arm is not a bad milestone to reach :D

Hats of to all (past or present) who have supported this endeavour - and welcome aboard to any who would like to join in.

Cheers everyone :)

(Edit: And if we manage to continue this crazy project for three full years Ill put on the mission logo in PLATINUM :eek: )

Last edited:

Putting on the large expedition logo (in GOLD) to celebrate our two year anniversary :)

We might be a whole lot fewer currently active than in the heyday of the Sag-Car Mission, but two years of continous exploration of this galactic arm is not a bad milestone to reach :D

Hats of to all (past or present) who have supported this endeavour - and welcome aboard to any who would like to join in.

Cheers everyone :)

(Edit: And if we manage to continue this crazy project for three full years Ill put on the mission logo in PLATINUM :eek: )

Love the large Gold logo! Between camps 8 and 9 at the moment - cut in to visit the "Eye of Horror" and the "Hawkins Nebula" Great to see a nebula after so long! Just passed through the Speculo System, will be skirting the Dryman Permit locked region next and then cross the Dryman Ridge to Camp 8. Hope it doesn't turn out to be as horrible an experience as trying to get through the Permit locked region near Barnards Loop was!

In terms of activity though - NVD-001 (SCE 175) must be the most "active" commander ever - looks like he'll finish the whole route in under a month!

Congratulations and hats off to you Corbin for creating and organising this expedtion! Hope to see the Platinum logo, although hopefully I'll have made it home by then:)!

Last edited:
Reposting this from our mission-hub sheet - looks like we now also have a speed record for completing the route:

Participant #: 175
CMDR Name: NVD-001
Current mission status: Finished. Jul 24 - Aug 19 3303. Almost a month of travel, +3000 jumps, +150 hours, +30 beers, +250.000ly of travel, 1 dev save and 1 death on camp 35 and restarting in Colonia.
Ship Name: Loner's Big Companion
Ship Class: Anaconda
Range: 57.27
First camp visited: Camp 0 (Sol) on July 24th, 3303
Last camp visited: Camp 36 (Hip 72043) on August 19th, 3303
Number of camps visited: 42

Congratulations CMDR - hope you had time to enjoy the sights along the way :)

Last edited:
On the topic of the suggested region Fields of the Titans:

This is a post I've been meaning to make for a bit--initially when I first found the area. Now that I'm through it and got a request for more information on the hub, it makes sense to get it put down.

First, though, a quick aside about finding giants. In the hub I included this image in the gallery:

jpLveD5.jpg

Realistic view on the map makes it nearly trivial to pick out unusual stars within the main sequence. You'll notice the vast majority in this image share the same basic look, which is a four-pointed star burst with a ball in the middle and a color matching their class. T-Tauri stars have a variation on the same, with an eight-pointed star burst (but clustered by two's until you zoom in very close) and a crimson ball. Dwarfs are just a ball with no star burst, black holes are just a black ball, and neutron and white dwarf stars are tiny white versions of the main sequence design. But what we're here for, though, are the giants. Their star burst is roughly twelve-pointed, but not larger than a main sequence star's--but their ball is comparatively huge and hides most of the star burst. This actually makes them very easy to pick out in realistic view. The only pain is Class B stars--the buggers have a bright glow that makes differentiating main sequence and giants of the class a little bit more tricky than any other.

I've been popping in to realistic view to scan over my route for a bit now. I thought it was pretty cool to find a cluster of twenty a bit back. Then, I found this region. I'm not sure I can make a proper listing of all the giants as requested. It could take hours of pouring over the map. To call the region massive is a bit of an understatement: the southern Fields span some 1000 light years wide and 400 thick, and stretch easily 1400 light years from the root of the Far 3kpc Arm outwards. While the cluster distribution is not even, there are hundreds if not thousands of giants in this region. From the gate beacons, I plotted the max distance towards another supergiant a thousand light years away. From there, I followed the path back and bookmarked every giant (and two or three black holes) that was within a few light years of the route:

RGFyfX7.jpg

During the actual journey, I visited half as many more on top of all those markers. That's just a thin sliver, which appeared typical of the entire region. On the northern extreme, a similar field looks to be possible. Fully mapping the region could take days of play time.

I can make a list of all the supergiants I saw as I passed through. However, it will have to be recorded with the understanding that it is likely a tiny fraction of their number.

Great find, so the whole region is a POI!

In other news, my AspX hasn't moved for two months since our first baby was born in the family quarters. Mother and baby both doing well. Thank goodness for telepresence, the grandparents are able to join us from the other side of the galaxy. We've ben away from civilisation (if you can call it that) for a year and a half now and in that time we've been to SagA*, flown with Corbin's Flying Circus at BP, scoured planets for jump mats, navigated the Abyss, scooped from the shoulders of hypergiants, discovered hundreds of worlds and too many other things to list. So my wife's enjoying the break from honking and scooping but she knows that we'll have to start again soon as we'd like to get to Colonia before the bugs move in!

See you in the black CMDRs :)

Great find, so the whole region is a POI!

In other news, my AspX hasn't moved for two months since our first baby was born in the family quarters. Mother and baby both doing well. Thank goodness for telepresence, the grandparents are able to join us from the other side of the galaxy. We've ben away from civilisation (if you can call it that) for a year and a half now and in that time we've been to SagA*, flown with Corbin's Flying Circus at BP, scoured planets for jump mats, navigated the Abyss, scooped from the shoulders of hypergiants, discovered hundreds of worlds and too many other things to list. So my wife's enjoying the break from honking and scooping but she knows that we'll have to start again soon as we'd like to get to Colonia before the bugs move in!

See you in the black CMDRs :)

Congratulations to all of you :). A new spacer is born :D

Hmm, well I'm going to blame this on baby brain...

...I've been accidentally retracing my steps! Doh! [noob]

After I got back in the seat after the two month break I obviously forgot which was the next waypoint I was heading to, and starting heading BACK to 15 Sagittarii! [haha]

I just met up with Furrycat for a repair, then checked my flight path and where 15 Sag had got to and it was behind me, in respect to SagA*. I thought, that's a bit odd, I didn't fly that far to meet Furrycat (didn't need to, very fast cat that one).

Anyway, now I know that 1) space madness / baby brain has well and truly set in, and 2) I have hardly any chance to get in the pilot's seat nowadays, I'm going to take a break from the expedition and buckyball it back to Colonia.

Thanks everyone, see you at the IGER bar ;)

I'm going to do part of this route on my current voyage when I cut into it at camp 6 in a week or so. Stumbled into it by accident.

Great! Camp 6 and then which direction? Clockwise or anti-clockwise? Don't forget to sign up for the mission in the OP and in EDSM :)

Made it to the Blood Haze Nevula today. Literally bumped into a black hole on my way and it gave me a good opportunity to get some nice pics of the nebula light being bent by the black hole, very pretty, very red!

Now I need to decide whether ot not to continue through with my threat of bailing out of the expedition or not...

I'm going counterclockwise out to Beagle Point. I was having issues signing up on EDSM, it says the expedition is finished. I actually came into camp 5 last week and I'm heading towards camp 6 now.

Last edited:
I'm going counterclockwise out to Beagle Point. I was having issues signing up on EDSM, it says the expedition is finished. I actually came into camp 5 last week and I'm heading towards camp 6 now.

It officially finished on Aug 1st this year but some commanders are still going around the route.

Top Bottom