Saitek X52 Pinkie issue – Finally Solved

For all you pilots out there who are having issues with the pinkie switch. You are not alone. I had this working, but for some reason, it does not (or rather did not) work with new Logitech drivers for Win10. I've read a few threads on this, but mostly driver information was missing, - which was the key for me, so hoping to roll everything into a one stop shop solution here.

So I finally put a bit of time into this to try to figure it out, and got the solution. Firstly, some of the solutions you see, which are correct, talk about the programming software / grid view, joystick icon on the notification area. Well I had none of these. I used to use the “Madcatz” software, but that doesn’t work, and will not detect the X52 under win10, and USB3 (well not in my case anyway). The problem is then compounded by the fact that the new Logitech drivers, come with their own set of issues. Often they simply will not detect the X52, unless you manually change it in device manager to Generic USB device. Sometimes, it will appear as unknown device, so you cannot even change it to Generic USB. – This was my starting point, completely Non-functional.

So first: I ran control panel, went into device manager:
[Win key], type “control panel”, and hit return
Select “Hardware and Sound”, then select “Device Manger”

From there, click and expand “Human Interface Devices”

You will see a list, and on it somewhere near the bottom, will be (if you are lucky and drivers are good) “X52 H.O.T.A.S (HID) X52 H.O.T.A.S (USB)

Alternatively, you may have got an error when you plugged in your X52, as I did saying the device was not set up properly. In which case:
Click on the error shown in this list, and select remove device.

Power off your system completely,(including PSU power) –basically you want to hardware reset the USB Bus, and it will enumerate again once windows boots. The hardware should be displayed, if not get the driver software …

Now here is the key. DO NOT USE THE LATEST LOGITECH SOFTWARE. The driver seems problematic, and it does not come with any programming software.

The latest “BAD” version is Software Version: 8.0.213.0 / Last Update: 2018-09-24

https://support.logi.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360024847013--Downloads-X52-Space-Flight-H-O-T-A-S-

This is the version you will be pointed to , if you go directly to the Logitech support downloads. It does not have the programming software included, and drivers can be problematic.

Instead : click “Show All Downloads” , and you will see previous versions.

The “GOOD” Version, or at least the version that worked for me was:

Software Version: 8.0.132.0 / Last Update: 2017-05-11
https://download01.logi.com/web/ftp/pub/techsupport/simulation/X52_HOTAS_x86_8_0_132_0.exe

This version installed without issue, and I now have the joystick icon in the notification area on the bottom right of the windows desktop.

That however is not enough to make the Pinkie recognised. You need to open the software, go to “programming”, click view, until you see a “grid” view, displaying all of the shifted modes.
Delete all of them, until there is only 1 column left.
Then right click on “Pinkie switch” and ensure “Fall Back” is ticked, (you will see a check mark beside it).
Then select save, and save the profile as “Elite Dangerous”.
Finally right click the joystick in the notification area, and select the elite dangerous profile you have just created.
Then run ED, and Ta-Daa .. Map the pinkie as normal.

Hope this helps,

Darkstar.

i just got mine 2 days ago i know i am late but i still looking at this profile thing lost as hell. where i get a profile for this. not the x52 pro. also i got my trigger to work but the thing still does not pick up in elite

The other issue that affects the X52Pro in elite is the clutch mode on the pinkie switch which needs to be disabled.

Windows key + r, type 'joy.cpl' and hit enter, select the X52 Professional H.O.T.A.S entry and click on the properties button, click the MFD tab at the top, and make sure the 'Enable Clutch Mode' option under clutch settings is not ticked.

I've had an x52 pro for years and I just ignore the logitech drivers completely. (as I did with the saitek drivers)
just plug it in and let windows normal controller drivers do the job.

originally when I got the stick I tried the saitek drivers but they gave me nothing but problems.

Just forget downloading drivers and use windows 10 pre loaded drivers , thats what i use on my x52pro after some very helpful info on these forums ...

Just goto game control options and right click x52pro then tweak as necessary , not needed to install the drivers since.

The other issue that affects the X52Pro in elite is the clutch mode on the pinkie switch which needs to be disabled.

Windows key + r, type 'joy.cpl' and hit enter, select the X52 Professional H.O.T.A.S entry and click on the properties button, click the MFD tab at the top, and make sure the 'Enable Clutch Mode' option under clutch settings is not ticked.

Don't know if you have the same but mine likes to reset clutch settings despite me unticking it several times already. Right now I CBA to once again untick it and fly without clutchmode button operational. I managed to ferget what I had bound there.

So apart from this tip, make sure your software remembers the setting since mine likes not to.

Top Bottom