Sampling Efficiently: A Guide to Reclaiming Thargoid Systems

Many thanks to Starsong for posting this very helpful guide.
30FPS works magic for me. From 20-30% retrieval rate to 90% :))
I would not have guessed it myself.

I had trouble coaxing scouts in CZs as AX NPC tend to follow and kill them. After some trials I figured out that AFK sampling can be done in "combat aftermath threat 4" signals. When I approach and only a burning ship is there, there is a good chance that after a minute or so 2 scythes and/or 3-4 scouts will appear. Scythes will ignore me, scouts will attack. I leave one scout, coax it about 6km from scythes (so scout does not randomly shoot at them) and do not bother scythes. Nothing else spawns :)

BTW I thought scythes should gather escape pods and wake out, aren't these the people brought to titan? But scythes just sit still and do nothing for some reason.
I was thinking about sampling scythes but their cannon is a bit stronger and they also have lightning :(

EDIT:
After a while I learned sampling in CZs. These reliably spawn in same locations and often close to main star so Starsong's method is very efficient.
However - scythes can be farmed for samples too.
Once it happened to me that no scouts showed up in combat aftermath threat 4 so I gave it a go and was totally surprised.
Scythes not only let themselves be sampled, but have 100% retrieval rate!
They patrol in a circle of about 4km diameter, but finding the middle of this circle to do afk sampling is easier said than done. But that's the only hassle.
Many people must have figured that out, since scythe's tissue samples have such low price at rescue megaships. I tried to find a post or video about that, but could not find anything. Is it a trade secret or something?

Last edited:
Do the samples floating around the dead Titans count towards the influence progress? Or does the game distinguish between the method of acquisition? I've been knocking out two birds with one stone (or maybe i haven't) . Really have no clue if my sample deliveries are counting.

Do the samples floating around the dead Titans count towards the influence progress? Or does the game distinguish between the method of acquisition?

Progress—for the remaining Control systems left behind? Very unlikely; for salvage, ultimately the system of acquisition is that which counts, so:
  • Possibly the system is the Titan system, thus not equal to any remaining Control system, or
  • Possibly Research samples not obtained via Research limpets have no system, an oversight but a problem nonetheless.
  • Unlikely but very interestingly those samples could turn out to be from various Control systems remaining.
It would be interesting to discover which of those is the case, which can be done via storing some on a Fleet carrier and using the information Frontier makes available online via log-in. The third case would be a very, very nice touch!

Quick run to Taranis says it's the first one ;)
All from FB-N b7-6 was collected just now at Taranis and all else was already in the hold-
salvage.png

Top Bottom