General Gameplay Sand in Sandbox

I don't get why they can't just make a second sandbox map with all the ground types. It's not a bad idea. I would love more than one sandbox.

They’ve already stated numerous times, they can’t do it because it’s a technical restriction. If they did so already, all saved game data will go bad for every single person who plays the game, and while I do know few may be willing to do so again, that doesn't mean every one person in the world who plays this game will be willing to loose everything and start over by faith.

A manager in a previous post on the forums says they are well aware players would like to see both sand and shale on sandbox, but at the moment right now they can’t do so (unless, of course, they find a solution without breaking saves), but they’re not malicious or stupid as many want to believe, solely because they didn’t get what they personally wanted or expected at any given moment.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
They’ve already stated numerous times, they can’t do it because it’s a technical restriction. If they did so already, all saved game data will go bad for every single person who plays the game, and while I do know few may be willing to do so again, that doesn't mean every one person in the world who plays this game will be willing to loose everything and start over by faith.

A manager in a previous post on the forums says they are well aware players would like to see both sand and shale on sandbox, but at the moment right now they can’t do so (unless, of course, they find a solution without breaking saves), but they’re not malicious or stupid as many want to believe, solely because they didn’t get what they personally wanted or expected at any given moment.

I hope this helps.

Indeed. Everybody is just complaining without thinking about what goes on behind the scenes... SMH

I don't get why they can't just make a second sandbox map with all the ground types. It's not a bad idea. I would love more than one sandbox.
I think this would be a great workaround for the whole "we can't add sand on nublar right now without breaking save files" thing. Can't break saves for an island that no one has yet :).

Solution is rather simple; make an option to use any of the islands as a sandbox.
Or even better, just give us the ability to unlock the Sandbox Settings on our existing Campaign Islands by 5-Starring them all. That way players could edit their islands from their playthroughs to their liking, or simply restart the island and build it again with the Sandbox Settings in place.

I agree that having sandbox for all islands is likely the best option. It could still be unlocked the same way but I think it would be nice to have sandbox outside the campaign like challenge mode is.

I agree that having sandbox for all islands is likely the best option. It could still be unlocked the same way but I think it would be nice to have sandbox outside the campaign like challenge mode is.
I personally don't understand what the point of having a separate "Sandbox Mode" would be when the same thing could be accomplished without Frontier having to add an extra mode to the game...

I personally don't understand what the point of having a separate "Sandbox Mode" would be when the same thing could be accomplished without Frontier having to add an extra mode to the game...
Okay sure. Personally I haven't been as vocal as some requesting a more expanded sandbox, but I support the idea.
Obviously it would be nice to have sandbox on all islands, just so that there is more variety in maps (and also sand brushes). But adding sandbox on all maps would be odd in the campaign mode. Since you have 1 park on each island. And right now Nublar is only sandbox, that's just your sandbox park. So what happens to your other islands? Personally I wouldn't want them turned into sandbox when I finish the campaign. I still want to be able to edit those like normal parks. And adding a toggle or something would be odd as well, as you'd switch between realities. One being the normal park and the other being the sandbox park.

So instead it would make sense to have sandbox separate from the campaign. You play your campaign, you unlock sandbox, but you can still just play along in your campaign. And then in the menu you would be able to access all islands as sandbox. This way it wouldn't interfere in the structure of the campaign.
Another reason why it would be nice to have it separate is that it could be standalone in terms of unlocks. Things don't have to be gated the same way as in the campaign. Like with the Claire DLC, once you unlock the new content you don't have to go back to the campaign to get stuff unlocked in the sandbox of Nublar. Instead if sandbox is separate, that opens up the possibility to have some sort of option that when you start a sandbox park you can just have everything unlocked form the start.

Imo it just makes for a much more flexible sandbox mode if it's separate and not held down by the campaign.

Okay sure. Personally I haven't been as vocal as some requesting a more expanded sandbox, but I support the idea.
Obviously it would be nice to have sandbox on all islands, just so that there is more variety in maps (and also sand brushes). But adding sandbox on all maps would be odd in the campaign mode. Since you have 1 park on each island. And right now Nublar is only sandbox, that's just your sandbox park. So what happens to your other islands? Personally I wouldn't want them turned into sandbox when I finish the campaign. I still want to be able to edit those like normal parks. And adding a toggle or something would be odd as well, as you'd switch between realities. One being the normal park and the other being the sandbox park.

So instead it would make sense to have sandbox separate from the campaign. You play your campaign, you unlock sandbox, but you can still just play along in your campaign. And then in the menu you would be able to access all islands as sandbox. This way it wouldn't interfere in the structure of the campaign.
Another reason why it would be nice to have it separate is that it could be standalone in terms of unlocks. Things don't have to be gated the same way as in the campaign. Like with the Claire DLC, once you unlock the new content you don't have to go back to the campaign to get stuff unlocked in the sandbox of Nublar. Instead if sandbox is separate, that opens up the possibility to have some sort of option that when you start a sandbox park you can just have everything unlocked form the start.

Imo it just makes for a much more flexible sandbox mode if it's separate and not held down by the campaign.
I assume you wouldn't have two different "realities". Your Campaign Islands wouldn't just be forcibly converted into Sandbox Islands. You would just unlock the Sandbox Settings submenu on the pause screen, and you would then have the ability to turn individual Sandbox Settings on or off just like on Isla Nublar. If you didn't want to use some or even any of them, you wouldn't have to. If you wanted a separate Sandbox version of an Island, you could just restart the Island and then save that as a separate save file. That's what people already do to have separate Isla Nublar Sandbox parks, and those people have identical versions of their Campaign Islands on those save files as well, so it really wouldn't be any different than how the game functions now. If Sandbox Settings were a "5-Star Every Campaign Island" reward, chances are the player has already unlocked everything in the game anyway.

I assume you wouldn't have two different "realities". Your Campaign Islands wouldn't just be forcibly converted into Sandbox Islands. You would just unlock the Sandbox Settings submenu on the pause screen, and you would then have the ability to turn individual Sandbox Settings on or off just like on Isla Nublar. If you didn't want to use some or even any of them, you wouldn't have to. If you wanted a separate Sandbox version of an Island, you could just restart the Island and then save that as a separate save file. That's what people already do to have separate Isla Nublar Sandbox parks, and those people have identical versions of their Campaign Islands on those save files as well, so it really wouldn't be any different than how the game functions now. If Sandbox Settings were a "5-Star Every Campaign Island" reward, chances are the player has already unlocked everything in the game anyway.
Just turning them into sandbox once you unlock it isn't a good idea because of possible future DLC. The campaign islands shouldn't just be turned into sandbox, it would be really annoying to have to keep loading back to get back to the campaign islands. No, separate is much better.

Or even better, just give us the ability to unlock the Sandbox Settings on our existing Campaign Islands by 5-Starring them all. That way players could edit their islands from their playthroughs to their liking, or simply restart the island and build it again with the Sandbox Settings in place.

...that's exactly what I said? Sandbox mode on the other 5 islands.

Top Bottom