Sandro back?

I miss Sandro. I didn't always agree with his vision, but at least he had a vision, and enthusiasm. Today I have absolutely no idea who the "new Sandro" is or his / her vision for the game. I question if there even is a "new Sandro" these days.

I also miss Ed Lewis. That's probably nostalgia talking, but so be it.

I miss Sandro. I didn't always agree with his vision, but at least he had a vision, and enthusiasm. Today I have absolutely no idea who the "new Sandro" is or his / her vision for the game. I question if there even is a "new Sandro" these days.

I also miss Ed Lewis. That's probably nostalgia talking, but so be it.
He presided over the worst updates of the game. If they were his baby child I don't know, but what I know is that it was kinda better communicated and coherent where the journey shall go. And that is mostly gone. Might be because Sammarco went, or Ed or me not giving enough of bothering.

Engineering (with 1.0 being the far grindier version), PowerPlay, multicrew, FSS... If Sandro Sammarco came back as lead designer and fixed all the issues with his earlier works, I'd be happy. (Unlikely, because each one of these could be branded as a major feature rework.) If he just continued on in the same vein as before, I wouldn't.

Still, that's reading quite a lot into somebody logging in to a forum account.

Seems the knives are out.
I just have some points to make which may not be that popular but meh, just a discussion...
PP acheived what it originally set out to do which was to allow the playerbase to build the powers as they exist today.
That wasn't so bad and did what it was supposed to do, it just seemed it wasn't given a chance to evolve beyond that... reasons unknown.
Also, all ears to hear a better way for ppl to play with each other, regards telepresence?
Just what i remember... so far.
Would also say, Ed had Sandro's back on numerous occasions on streams back in the day.
Jus' sayin'.

Also, all ears to hear a better way for ppl to play with each other, regards telepresence?
Sure. There have been plenty of suggestions and such, if you'd rather not read up on those, let me just give you one specific, simple example. There is a common issue and complaint: people who join an explorer and help them with the FSS minigame get no credit rewards for their effort. I understand and agree that they shouldn't get discovery tags, but they should get credit vouchers at least.
Back when I regularly opened a seat while exploring, I had a choice to make: either I tell them that they'll get no credits, and then 9 times out of 10, they'd immediately leave, or I don't tell them that, which would make me a liar (by omission). There is (was) real demand for exploration multicrew, but the system's design has killed it.

Well, i don't know why they didn't do that but it might have had something to do with concerns about credit farming, or maybe the minigame just wasn't designed to be multiplayer.
I'm just guessing here but there's usually a reasoon.

Sandro's stance
1683443893869.png

Good for endurance training and forum fu

Source: https://twitter.com/smorganmoore/status/1661794107730149377?s=20

Sandro Sammarco, principal designer and co-writer of the story, describes Realms of Ruin as "a burst of real-time strategy goodness." The goal is to get players right into the action without any barriers to entry—and then reveal more and more tactical depth as you play.

It's really nice to see Sandro back and looking going well, I still remember old ED streams with him and his legendary space loach :)

Last edited:
Hmm, I guess Piers Jackson is on RoR, as well.

Don't know whether a games director manages more than one project at a time, but otherwise I guess he transferred over at some point after Odyssey was done...

"It's the first big-budget game to release in the world of Age of Sigmar, and developer Frontier has huge ambitions for it."

I have zero confidence that frontier will be able to crack rts. If they're calling it challenging already, its a little mad they're event trying. Proof: Jurassic World Evolution 1 and 2, and f1 manager. Such bright and clear examples that general gaming actually does require the extra push / filling that frontier have never ever done as a developer.

Oh yeah there's elite as well, but it was coincidence that truck sim and farm sim are the same indie sandboxes.

Ps. if frontier are trying a first and are going for full narrative and meat as well as bones, ill be keen to see it. But at the same time, the pitch for the game is an rts without the early middle game resource building so looks like they're trying frontiering a new genre again....

Seems the knives are out.
I just have some points to make which may not be that popular but meh, just a discussion...
PP acheived what it originally set out to do which was to allow the playerbase to build the powers as they exist today.
That wasn't so bad and did what it was supposed to do, it just seemed it wasn't given a chance to evolve beyond that... reasons unknown.
Just what i remember... so far.
Would also say, Ed had Sandro's back on numerous occasions on streams back in the day.
Jus' sayin'.

PP's didn't achieve what it set out to do because it was abandoned before it was even finished. It was decided that it wasn't achieving it's purpose enough to even complete the game mechanic.
Players dont drive the powers any more than you drive a minor faction. In it's incomplete state it's little more than a BGS layer with an associated pretty map and assortment of exclusive modules that were mostly rendered useless by their limited size and subsequent release of engineers.

It's intended purpose requires power collapse and power promotion. Player activity was to have actual persistent effect on the galaxy with the elimination of powers over time and the creation of new ones. All centered around what the players chose to do.

That never happened. All we have now is a pointless infinite loop of activity with no goal / no purpose because it's a fixed state until fdev decides to make a change. The player agency is over things that dont really matter, like the bgs and most other things. Which was the entire point of the introduction of powerplay. to offer a thing that was different to the rest of the game and provide that agency that some of the playerbase missed from the existing game design.

Last edited:
Can someone in the know update us on Sandro's stance regarding the Panther Clipper?
Asking for a friend.
It's gotta be a barebones unfinished ship that will only shine after goin through excessive engineering which will take the average player 2 years and then it will be rebalanced because Sandro respects player time so much.

Top Bottom