SCANNING

OK, I know there's a teacher out there that's works with 2nd graders or the . Though the latter is probably me.

I've got a t6 fully "A" graded, which includes the best scanner money can buy (1,500,000 cr's)
Sometimes there doesn't seem to be a destination, when I asked, I was informed to scan a NAV beacon close to the star I jumped into. OK, fell out of hyper, clicked on the nearest NAV beacon and went to it. Opened my weapon's fired up the scanner, in a couple of seconds it was complete, looked in my destination menu, lots of new undiscovered items, but no destination.

Can someone please explain the process to me like they would to a ?

What type of destination are you trying to find?
If it's a tourist beacon, they will become visible in your nav panel when you are within 1000ls of them. This will happen automatically, they are just like RES and CZ in this respect (but only that respect ;)).
Also check the filter settings for your nav panel, have you deselected anything?

Last edited:
The less objectionable term is ELI5 - Explain It Like I'm 5

Anyway - what type of destination / mission are you doing?
And: What type of scanner did you buy - Discovery or Detailed Surface?

You want an Advanced Discovery Scanner (ADS), that should show every object in the system. If you 'fire' the ADS you do not need to go to the beacon - just fire it on entry to the system. It should make a honking sound when done, do it's called 'honking' :)

If you do not have an ADS then go to the beacon. Target the WHITE target when you drop out of supercruise (SC) at the beacon. It will go all spinny for a new seconds and then tell you where everything is.

But still, tell us the mission type, please. Screenshot would be good, though possible too difficult for a five yr old ;)

Edit: Agree with Wyaston about Tourist Beacons - the Passenger Mission told you the planet, so you can go there - though you will need to count if you use the ADS, Beacon would be easier for a 5 yr old (when there is one).

Last edited:
Never go full ...

Your A grade scanner will detect all navigable objects within range. If you're attempting a salvage mission for example, you should receive an updated mission critical message after scanning, whereupon the destination will appear in your navigation panel. To 'discover' the 'undiscovered' objects, your ship needs to be within range whilst the object is targeted.

The less objectionable term is ELI5 - Explain It Like I'm 5

Anyway - what type of destination / mission are you doing?
And: What type of scanner did you buy - Discovery or Detailed Surface?

You want an Advanced Discovery Scanner (ADS), that should show every object in the system. If you 'fire' the ADS you do not need to go to the beacon - just fire it on entry to the system. It should make a honking sound when done, do it's called 'honking' :)

If you do not have an ADS then go to the beacon. Target the WHITE target when you drop out of supercruise (SC) at the beacon. It will go all spinny for a new seconds and then tell you where everything is.

But still, tell us the mission type, please. Screenshot would be good, though possible too difficult for a five yr old ;)

Edit: Agree with Wyaston about Tourist Beacons - the Passenger Mission told you the planet, so you can go there - though you will need to count if you use the ADS, Beacon would be easier for a 5 yr old (when there is one).

I've got the ADS paid a million and a half for it, all menu items are checked, do I stay in super or drop out to impules (normal)? My destinations are always the same, landing docks (stations, outposts, planets), to off load cargo and or passengers. I only do booms and one way passenger's.

I've got the ADS paid a million and a half for it, all menu items are checked, do I stay in super or drop out to impules (normal)? My destinations are always the same, landing docks (stations, outposts, planets), to off load cargo and or passengers. I only do booms and one way passenger's.

Platforms & Station usually 'just show up', even before you scan. You are looking in the Navigation Tab or on the System map aren't you? (They won't be in contacts)

On-planet bases might need a scan of the planet.

A screenshot with your nav panel and another of the transaction. Or just tell us where you are & where you are trying to find, might give us a clue. We promise not to hunt you down ;)

Nav beacons will automatically be scanned when you are so close to them. I do not believe you need the Advanced Scanner for that except to maybe find the beacon itself. The location you refer to, is it for a mission or your next destination?

Typically what occurs when you jump into a system you get a heads up that there are planets to scan. Then you start your Advanced scan. When it completes it will indicate how many, if any, new bodies have been found. When you have this information you can open your system map, in the left hand menu lower, and see what is in the system. If there is say a station you can choose it with the first option in it's menu (looks like a cone) and set off for it.

If this has to do with a mission then after scanning the beacon your information should be updated telling you where to proceed.

Chief

OK, when you do an ADS scan it tells you where everything is but not what they are. So any planetary bases on a unknown planet will also be shown as unknown. When you have targeted that planet and flown close enough for your scanner to identify them they will appear as planetary bases in your nav panel.
Now I think that after the ADS scan if you go to system map you should have all the bases named in the last tab, even if they are 'unknown' and going into planet view will give the wireframe view with the bases on, so they can be selected that way (I think so will check).

Nav beacons will automatically be scanned when you are so close to them. I do not believe you need the Advanced Scanner for that except to maybe find the beacon itself. The location you refer to, is it for a mission or your next destination?

Typically what occurs when you jump into a system you get a heads up that there are planets to scan. Then you start your Advanced scan. When it completes it will indicate how many, if any, new bodies have been found. When you have this information you can open your system map, in the left hand menu lower, and see what is in the system. If there is say a station you can choose it with the first option in it's menu (looks like a cone) and set off for it.

If this has to do with a mission then after scanning the beacon your information should be updated telling you where to proceed.

Chief

I've noticed that after a scan some of the undiscovered will have the little cone as you stated. Sometimes several, I pick the closet hope for the best. It's a crap shoot. Scanning in super cruise is ok right or do I need to drop out to just cruise?

Nav beacons will automatically be scanned when you are so close to them. I do not believe you need the Advanced Scanner for that except to maybe find the beacon itself.

The Nav Beacon is always (famous last words) within a few ls of the star, so you will always be able to see it - ADS do not expose them, being within 1000ls expose them (like tourist beacons).

The ADS is for systems without a beacon, or just of you don't want to visit the beacon. But an ADS does not tell you all the planet names, they all end up as 'unknown', but you can work out which is which by counting - first is 1, second is .. 2. Stars are A, B, C. Moons are a b c, asteroid belts don't get numbers.

Here's the nav panel after an ADS, the asteroid is identified (propbably was beforehand as well), everything else is known, but 'unknown' until you surface scan (using a DSS, not an ADS).

liKuIjS.png

I've noticed that after a scan some of the undiscovered will have the little cone as you stated. Sometimes several, I pick the closet hope for the best. It's a crap shoot. Scanning in super cruise is ok right or do I need to drop out to just cruise?

Do you means the cones like the one next to Blackmount Orbital in my pic? That just shows what is targeted. Please tell us where you are & where you are being asked to go in the system. You should be able to get straight to any location, but it's really difficult to help when you won't tell us what you are trying to do.

The Nav Beacon is always (famous last words) within a few ls of the star, so you will always be able to see it - ADS do not expose them, being within 1000ls expose them (like tourist beacons).

The ADS is for systems without a beacon, or just of you don't want to visit the beacon. But an ADS does not tell you all the planet names, they all end up as 'unknown', but you can work out which is which by counting - first is 1, second is .. 2. Stars are A, B, C. Moons are a b c, asteroid belts don't get numbers.

Here's the nav panel after an ADS, the asteroid is identified (propbably was beforehand as well), everything else is known, but 'unknown' until you surface scan (using a DSS, not an ADS).

http://i.imgur.com/liKuIjS.png

So, your saying I need two scanner's to get the actual name, does the DDS give me the name of station on a planet before I waste time and head down to it? Your picture is what I get after a scan with my ADS. I don't have a DDS, as of yet.

So, your saying I need two scanner's to get the actual name, does the DDS give me the name of station on a planet before I waste time and head down to it? Your picture is what I get after a scan with my ADS. I don't have a DDS, as of yet.

Sorry, you did ask for ELI5:

WHAT SYSTEM ARE YOU IN?

WHERE ARE YOU TRYING TO GO?

You do NOT need a DDS, your inbuilt scanner (that's always on your ship) is all your need it identify planets.
If you are looking for a specific station on a planet Do this:
Open your system map.
Go to the 4th Tab.
This will show you all the stations plus all the landable planets AND All the stations on those planets by name.
Now you know where the station is and can select it's planet.

Hope this helps :)

Good point from Wyaston

You should also be able to see where you should be going on the Nav panel. In te shot below I have missions to Obsidian Orbital and Moni's Hub - the 'world' icon indicates that the location is a mission destination (even if you don't know it's name). You do know that the nav panel list on the right scrolls up & down ??

jJCPHo6.png

similar icons for the system map:

jKAEQsV.png

and the galaxy map:

xgYTHla.png

Really struggling to work out how you cannot find mission locations if you are honking - still want your location & mission target if you know how to find those ;)

You do NOT need a DDS, your inbuilt scanner (that's always on your ship) is all your need it identify planets.
If you are looking for a specific station on a planet Do this:
Open your system map.
Go to the 4th Tab.
This will show you all the stations plus all the landable planets AND All the stations on those planets by name.
Now you know where the station is and can select it's planet.

Hope this helps :)

System map, 4th tab, select destination. Sounds to easy, but then, I am only a few years older than 5. Thanks for your imput.

Top Bottom