Scope mod example, with the Manticore Executioner

Just about to start the long road of upgrades for on-foot weapons and I'm searching for the best / latest info before sinking time into the process.
Try and avoid the trap of thinking that you need to upgrade and modify all the weapons available. Concentrate on a secondary and a couple of primary weapons. Even limiting to that short list is a lot of materials and effort. Pointless engineering stuff that you are not going to use. Try to buy G3 with one of the mods that you want to give you a head start.

Steve 07.

Just about to start the long road of upgrades for on-foot weapons and I'm searching for the best / latest info before sinking time into the process.
Besides what Steve already said, don't worry so much on several weapons. It's okay to stick with 2 or 3 that you like.
Finding pre-engineered weapons is your best bet, since it'll save you not only the few resources for up to the first two levels, but also an engineering, which is the most important, since it means less rare materials in most cases AND unlocking an engineer. And since missions barely require gunfight most of the time, you'll be more pressed to learn the ropes than actually upgrading weapons to do them (weapon levels WILL still be critical in combat zones).
I myself use a TK Aphelion + Karma AR-50 combo (Dominator suit allows two primaries), and the switching is really fast. I end up using mostly the Karma (since most unaltered enemies leave shields down, except some assassination targets), and it's great for even middle/long range (the Karma AR-50 came with Stability, and aim keeps basically dead center while shooting).
Keep in mind that for infiltration/stealth work you need both Audio Masking AND Noise Suppressor, so you're left with two slots for what you want. And that enemy AI uses vision and sound to find you, so even on CZs where everyone is full alert and has radar, you can still pick enemies off one by one if you're fast enough with weapons that don't make sound (since the rest won't hear gunshots until the target shoots back).

And Scope reduces spread on Shotguns?
That's fishy.
If it was "Stability reduces spread" I would understand, but, looking closer reduces spread feels like something that will be patched later. I wonder if changing FOV also changes spread.

Try and avoid the trap of thinking that you need to upgrade and modify all the weapons available. Concentrate on a secondary and a couple of primary weapons. Even limiting to that short list is a lot of materials and effort. Pointless engineering stuff that you are not going to use. Try to buy G3 with one of the mods that you want to give you a head start.

Steve 07.
Hey SteveWW57, thanks for taking the time to respond !
Yes, good advice.
I've been trialling which weapons I like the 'feel' of - the most satisfying to use for me.
Also, your idea of trying the G3 ones with different mods before spending the time upgrading, is great advice (y)

Hi R4dioS1lence,​

yes, I'm thinking that limiting to 2 or 3 that I can use and enjoy is also good advice!
I have a plan of using noise suppressor on an 'internal' weapon, and audio masking on an 'external' option - which will give me 3 options for both 😁
There are some videos from a few months ago which show tests on the 'shotgun' - side by side with and without scope, so I will investigate it when I've gathered the materials for it!

Thank you again for your help chaps - o7

Thank you sir ! Very helpful. Have you any plans on further weapon upgrade videos / data collection?
There are a few on youtube, and some discussions I've found, but most are 4months or more old - so I am not sure of the accuracy of the information?
It will probably take me a few weeks to upgrade both my suits and the weapons + mods... I do not get as much time as I'd like to explore these things :giggle:
So I really appreciate you making your data and thoughts available (y):D
o7
Hopefully it will take a "few weeks" 😅😅, but you know how ED is. Having all the necessary material would take you a year at least, I recommend that you improve 1 or 2 weapons with only or 3 modifications, that would take many months, but it is more achievable. but it is not really necessary to improve them, you can defend yourself with level 1 if you are relatively good at this type of game.

Hah, people here claiming FD don't know much about shooters whilst demonstrating they don't know most shooters use a zoomed field of view on the whole raster layer to achieve a cheap scope effect.

My only complaint is the optics are more a hindrance than a help. Give me a red dot any day.
As does Star Citizen. Probably why the thread went all quiet about it. Ho hum...

Mod?
That's a freakin cheat.
Yeap, using a "mod" that's giving you an advantage over a player that is using the game as provided by FDev is simply cheating.

Mod?
That's a freakin cheat.
Yeap, using a "mod" that's giving you an advantage over a player that is using the game as provided by FDev is simply cheating.
I think you are confused. This thread is about the scope engineering you can apply. I didn't see any references to a "mod" in the sense of "game mod".

In my opinion, upgrading the scope is a complete waste of time.
There is no sniper mechanic worth being called that.
Improving weapons for damage and ammunition is more effective.

In my opinion, upgrading the scope is a complete waste of time.
There is no sniper mechanic worth being called that.
Improving weapons for damage and ammunition is more effective.
The scope on the Executioner works very well, it would put it on again every time. Allows you to snipe a whole settlement from a rooftop (provided you can aim and lead the plasma projectile properly) and also doubles as binoculars.

The thing I find weirdest about the scope mod is, when you look through it, your movement slows down. Anyone that's used a magnified view of any kind knows that's the opposite of what happens.

Top Bottom