Screening shell - what, exactly, does it do?

I've been running OC with screening but they are a waste of time using on anything with half decent shields. You may as well be fireing blanks. So I've just switched to incendiary to see if that helps but have yet to test them. At the moment I see a frag build being best used as part of a wing because it's always handy to have a can opener

I find that frags can smash shields just by brute force.

Is there any benefit in leaving an OC weapon without a special effect?

I put screening on any remaining ones after I have corrosive and drag applied.
I did not mean to imply that screening is poorly fit for PVP as I use screening there too, based on input from people vastly more experienced than myself.

I must be doing something wrong then lol because I can't even get close to dropping the shields on a PvP fdl before i run out of ammo. I can take out any NPC ship very quickly though

Sounds to me like you're running into high kinetic resistance, ie reinforced prismatics, in which case the incendiary ought to help since they probably have a thermal weakness.

The post you quoted is accurate. Their primary purpose is shooting down ordnance. The reload speed is secondary to that. The average firing window of frags is 3 seconds or less making a reload upgrade effective only against stationary or very slow moving targets, not much of a dps increase in the average encounter.

If you are using screen shell frags to primarily shoot down torps (or missiles), you are objectively doing it wrong.

I've been running OC with screening but they are a waste of time using on anything with half decent shields. You may as well be fireing blanks. So I've just switched to incendiary to see if that helps but have yet to test them. At the moment I see a frag build being best used as part of a wing because it's always handy to have a can opener

Depends. Most players have shields engineered to have equal-ish levels of resists. PvE, shields are so weak you still hit them like a truck.

If you are using screen shell frags to primarily shoot down torps (or missiles), you are objectively doing it wrong.
The clue is in the name 'screening' shell. It provides a screen from ordnance. Not sure what to tell you, except that if you are using this mod in pvp and not to shoot down seekers or torps, you have wasted a special, the reload is of very limited value, as I've explained. Corrosive and Incendiary are far more valuable in the current meta. Ask anyone who pvps.

Last edited:
Depends. Most players have shields engineered to have equal-ish levels of resists. PvE, shields are so weak you still hit them like a truck.
Most players do not have balanced shield resistances, typically thermal is 10-15% lower. In pve the difference is even more marked.

Corrosive and drag don't stack so it's no sense adding more of those, and it's easy enough not to fire if you don't want to.
You can also often fire just your screening frags and still have time for them all to sync again immediately afterwards.
I think of it as "better to have and not need it..."

I based that choice on the advice of some very experienced PVP folks, ftr.
So the implication that there is some wide consensus to the contrary is false.

The clue is in the name 'screening' shell. It provides a screen from ordnance. Not sure what to tell you, except that if you are using this mod in pvp and not to shoot down seekers or torps, you have wasted a special, the reload is of very limited value, as I've explained. Corrosive and Incendiary are far more valuable in the current meta. Ask anyone who pvps.

Never once made a comment on the relative value vs other mods, but thanks for the deflection.

If you put "screening" in a search query at the GCI discord, you will see lots of positive feedback, and it's generally DPS/reload time related.

A vulture with OC SS frags is like a jackhammer. It doesn't care about resistances, it just sits on top of you and rapidly whittles away your structural integrity.

I find that frags can smash shields just by brute force.

Yup. OC frags with screening shell are the epitome of, "If brute force isn't working you aren't using enough."

OP, what kind of ship are you using? I'm running four OC frags (three screening shell and one drag drive) plus an efficient PA in the huge slot on my FDL. Loving it. Time the PA shot to land just as you're in optimal range with the frags. You can do three times (I think?) before having to recharge the distributor. Run 2-4-0 or 3-3-0 then pip up SYS if you want land a ram in there too.

EDIT: Three frag volleys and two PA shots until distro need recharge.

Last edited:
It also depends on the platform you're mounting them on. If you're in a jouster like the Mamba then reload time isn't as important and you've got enough hardpoints, especially those smalls, to happily put utility effects like corrosive and drag on without seriously impacting your DPS (or burst damage, which is probably the more important metric here). As RELSPI pointed out, something like a vulture with the agility and speed to just sit on someone's tail and unload into them benefits pretty well from SS, and loses more to utility effects than most ships do since it doesn't have any small hardpoints to sacrifice.

Last edited:
Top Bottom