Screwed

As a person who has played Elite for as long as it’s been in existence ( with only one break) I feel extremely slighted by Frontier, Odyssey has had 7 updates with no PC release in sight for the Consoles. This is unforgivable and Frontier should do something to makeup for the time we have lost in gameplay and console players not having the opportunity to be first in many discoveries. FRONTIER GET YOUR STUFF TOGETHER, YOU SHOULD HAVE NOT RELEASED ODYSSEY UNTIL EVERYONE HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO SHARE THIS EXPERIENCE. DO THE RIGHT THING.

yes, but they did release, now you want it bugged on console, even knowing that even newer cards struggle to keep up with it and it is still bugged after 7 updates?

i really can't understand why would someone want a car that doesnt work and doesnt have wheels just cause the neighbour have one.

but they did, for whatever reasons, and they won't roll back i suppose.

Now what? As i see console players have 2 options: ask to have the update(unlikely), and run the game on single digit fps with game-breaking bugs, or waiting till the PC players (AKA QA testers) help them iron out the bugs and get something almost stable in a couple of months.

i wish i was left out of the lags and bugs, but i bought it and there's no refund option anymore

but they did, for whatever reasons, and they won't roll back i suppose.

Now what? As i see console players have 2 options: ask to have the update(unlikely), and run the game on single digit fps with game-breaking bugs, or waiting till the PC players (AKA QA testers) help them iron out the bugs and get something almost stable in a couple of months.

i wish i was left out of the lags and bugs, but i bought it and there's no refund option anymore
Have to admit with the way feedback is going for both console platforms, think its going to be a long long long time before consoles will have enough info to even make an educated guess of when development would even be started, I'm undecided as to whether it even got started earlier this year even with the tag line "Console development continues in background with an autumn release still on schedule" being voiced repeatedly. I suppose you never know though Frontier may surprise us 🤔

Its not that I want it broken, you got that wrong, they should not have released it at all. All they did was to alienate the console owners. I have played this game since it’s beginning in the 80’s, I love this game, just feeling left out.
Listen I understand your sentiment and I agree with everything your saying. No they shouldn't have released it yet; but they did and now theres nothing we can do about that. Alot of people are saying were getting dropped but I dont think that's the case. The dev team are including the word console in addition to Horizons when posting change logs which is a glimmer of hope they still have us on the back burner. I know how bad this whole situation sucks but theres nothing we can do about it atm.

The best thing you can do right now is either play the game doing something different than your used too like learning FA off or thargoid combat to keep it fresh or try a new game. At least if you get into a new game and then they announce were getting dropped you're already that much further along from breaking away and if they do continue to bring us along then you've been preoccupied and wont have spent the whole time stressing over it.

PS I personally believe the reason weve not seen thargoid ground combat yet is because they are waiting for us. Well see I guess.

I'll put it bluntly; the way Odyssey released on PC, it probably wouldn't have made it through the certification process to be released on Xbox or PlayStation. Frontier seems to have originally estimated that they could launch the game in a "completed" state early-on on PC, squash any bugs that came up, then have the console version ported and released in three months. Grumblings around the player base indicate that this was done to meet a revenue target in Q1.

Long story short, that was a really bad decision which backfired completely as we all know. Even now, the version of Odyssey that the PC players are working with still has bugs to squash even this far in. And the new features being released in these updates are largely things that should have been (and may have been planned to be) in the game at launch; emotes, better integration of ships and vehicles in settlement combat zones, the new planet generation system actually working correctly, etc. We're not all the way there yet, but in my opinion Odyssey has started to look like what FDev said they were selling us.

Why that's important is that at some point in (I believe) the near future, Frontier is going to tell the PC people "we've got Odyssey where we need it to be, we're going to put PC development down now for a while and port to console". When they do that, they're going to start that porting process (I hope) with the version of Odyssey that they end up at by that time. When console does finally get a release date (and you will, because not updating the game on consoles is a huge loss of revenue for Frontier), the version of the game you get is going to (hopefully) be more feature complete, less buggy, and at a higher standard than what the PC people got. Because it will have to get through the console certification process to be released, and by then it'll be able to.

It's unfair to consoles that FDev chose to break up this release the way they did, and it's unfair that the console release got delayed and pushed back. But we PC people also aren't kidding when we say that the PC release of Odyssey feels like a paid beta test. The fact that it's feeling less so now is at least a good indicator that we're getting closer to FDev being able to stop being in damage control mode and devote resources to the console port. I am hopeful for you guys that when you get your version of this thing, it feels a whole lot better than our launch felt.

If this is what you get on PC:
(1 FPS on a RTX 3090)

Imagine how it would run on PS4 and XBOX One.

Be patient. We PC players aren't happy on its state either.

If this is what you get on PC:
(1 FPS on a RTX 3090)

Imagine how it would run on PS4 and XBOX One.

Be patient. We PC players aren't happy on its state either.
On the bright side, difference wont be more than 1 FPS. :p

I would be very surprised if Odyssey gets to a good state on PC. The earlier parts of content were never done well and now its a mountain of issues. TO be clear…

The base game+Horizons for years used to crash 99% of the time just by trying to fly to a planet On consoles regardless of the xbox used.
With each new xbox one console, the game never performed much better. You have issues where the map views populate and then swapping back, the games colors are missing For years.

There’s the glaring omissions of anything inside of ships and I dont mean just ship interiors. Think…why would you have a space sim that pilot who has all the cockpit set and body, suits, etc not be able to get up from his seat? I understand these things dont just happen but decisions were made against the details used to crowdfund. Lets look at the millions of planets we can fly to but where 95% of them have nothing there. Literally nothing there but textures and formations…and I get this is to be more realistic than fantasy but….you really want me to believe I can fly clear across the Milky Way alone where other NPCs have done the same and nothing much is going on. The logs and such rarely even match the world we play in…and I think a lot of the logs are great stories that we only hear and never see or experience anything.

Odyssey at the very least should have began with experiencing all those locations, abandoned stations, stations in disrepair, and added much more of this. They just released a portion to initiate sales…and then seemingly wiped away many of our prior Horizons purchases at the same time for suits.

Horizons at its basic form needed to work very well and things like co-op, multi-crew, planetary bases, and even the stations should feel more immersive. I don’t expect Star Citizen level of details but I would say I do expect No Mans Sky level of detail minus the crafting.

From my point of view and I could be very uninformed…this game went from bringing a great 3d experience of an old game to trying to pull off something entirely separate.

My concern is the base game was never finished…neither was Horizons…Fleet Carriers and Thargoid content…never finished and now they are on Odyssey.

Last edited:
Its not that I want it broken, you got that wrong, they should not have released it at all. All they did was to alienate the console owners.

They actually alienated everyone, including FD themselves.

1633690798017.png

That's 👆
35% positive reviews in the last 30 days
31% positive reviews since launch.

They could have gotten a lot easier (for them) if they released the game as Early Access - at least each update/patch would have been met with applause since they would be getting closer to release - but still, that would have been PC only.

No way consoles like PS4 and XBox One are able to properly run Odyssey in its current state
I even had to replace my 2 year old laptop (i7-9750h, GTX1660TI, 16GB ram) with an RTX3080 laptop to be able to properly run Odyssey - and certain bugs still manage to have a detrimental outcome on my general gaming experience

I upgraded my Xbox one to a series X because I don't think the one can handle EDO .
On PC you get min specs and if you want to play you need those specs . Why try and get EDO on Xbox 1 ?

Top Bottom