Horizons Self-defense against a NPC results in bounty?

Somehow I think my understanding of crime and powerplay is either outdated or outright wrong
I just arrived in the Lave System which, according to the galaxy map, belongs to the Alliance. My allegiance is with Felicia Winters. The alliance is neutral towards me, the Empire is friendly. I have some minor bounties in far far away federal systems.

Shortly before I reached the Lave Station one of Patreus minions ("Patreus Sentinel") interdicted me. Patreus, if my informations are not outdated, still belongs to the Empire.
The NPC was flying a viper, I was in a fully kitted out Vulture and I actually wanted to log out after landing, which meant I was going to make him pay for the interdiction. Here comes the part I don't get : he was clean. as far as I remembered this doesn't matter for "powerplay fights", but I still let him shoot me first a couple of time (his chances of disabling my shields were practically nil). I didn't get any "scanning detected" message. He *stayed* clean, which I took as confirmation about my assumption and I proceeded to destroy him as fast as possible.
Half a minute later I had a bounty on my head in the Lave System ... despite the NPC clearly interdicting me and shooting first.

Anybody got an idea why I became Wanted?

It's because you shot a clean ship. Why the ship stayed clean is beyond my understanding though.

If you see Wanted, Hostile, or Lawless in red, you are weapons free. Anything else and you're better off legging it.

I've had this happen a few times already. It's a little upsetting, I'll say that

On the other hand, I am pledged with Zachary Hudson. Those guys that shot me had been pledged to different people. I'm guessing it might have something to do with that? I'm sure it was for that reason alone, because I shot someone in their system that was not controlled by Hudson, giving the NPC all the more right to be able to shoot me.

Other than that, I haven't a single clue either, but I can confirm this has happened to me a couple times already.

Last edited:
Wolfmonster, yeah ... I know THAT mechanic. The "staying clean" part is what I don't understand.
LameoveR, I wasn't going to waste ammo on him ... so it took a bit longer than it should.
Flandre-SDM, good to know I am not the one to whom this happened. It's only a minor nuisance, but definitely weird.

Last edited:
Wolfmonster, yeah ... I know THAT mechanic. The "staying clean" part is what I don't understand.
LameoveR, I wasn't going to waste ammo on him ... so it took a bit longer than it should.
Flandre-SDM, good to know I am not the one to whom this happened. It's only a minor nuisance, but definitely weird.

Did you disable the "warn authorities when attacked" option? Because that could be it.

Did you disable the "warn authorities when attacked" option? Because that could be it.

That's what I was going to say, coming into the thread, but the op said this was a PP engagement, so reporting crimes against him shouldn't matter if the PP engagement wasn't a crime. If I'm not mistaken, the only time you should get a bounty against you for attacking or killing a PP target is if you're undermining (in a hostile PP system), although someone might confirm if this is also the case in neutral systems (as the op was). So this needs to be confirmed first. If it is, then the next question would be "did you have report crimes off".

What I don't get is the comment about getting the bounty later. It doesn't make sense that the op got the bounty later. If you commit a crime it gets logged immediately. This isn't clear at all in the op.

Last edited:
Somehow I think my understanding of crime and powerplay is either outdated or outright wrong
I just arrived in the Lave System which, according to the galaxy map, belongs to the Alliance. My allegiance is with Felicia Winters.
In Powerplay, you are pledged with a power aligned with the Federation. You were in a system exploited by Edmund Mahon, who is aligned with the Alliance. This makes you a target for any non-Federation Powerplay NPCs in the system, not only the ones from Mahon. Because you are in hostile Powerplay territory, they are free to shoot you but you will become wanted if you shoot back.

Your reputation with various major factions isn't relevant, this is purely a Powerplay thing.

what i noticed is: if i have bounties some where else, some npc's seem to kws me and then they stay clean if they attack me.

you also have the issue of if you shoot them before scan complete that you become wanted..

but honestly i think you are being hot with a KWS and thats that.

What I don't get is the comment about getting the bounty later. It doesn't make sense that the op got the bounty later. If you commit a crime it gets logged immediately. This isn't clear at all in the op.

I meant it took about 30 seconds to destroy the puny viper. The bounty appeared right away of course. Sorry for not being clearer.
And you and Vaerah are probably right: I did have "report Crime" turned to OFF. So that's probably why it happened. Honest thanks for clearing that up, as it had me baffled.

EDIT: what Markkuk said might have been the actual factor then ... or maybe a combination of Crime OFF + being in an "hostile" environment.

Last edited:
NPC1: Hey all, New to here and I want to be a pirate,any suggestions? Wait....I've just found a single vulture....I'll take him as my first prize! BB in 1min XD
pew pew...boom....
NPC2: Hi there, I'm new to here too, want to add me as firend?
20mins past.....
NPC2: Uh....are you still alive?

I have that 20 times a day. It's perfectly legit. I am usually in systems where I am declared hostile and I always run from interdictions of the AI of that power there because I know I am not allowed to shoot back.
In return I know whatever or whoever I meet in my power's system that is pledged to another one I can kill the same way without getting a bounty. That's how it works and it makes sense. But it is annoying if you fly a lot in enemy territory :)

Top Bottom