Setting Up Background Simulation

You do not need any software and can just as easily run a faction on XBox
You can simply pick any faction to support, join an existing player faction or you can apply to Frontier to have your own put in the game.

Great I am looking to can apply to Frontier to have your own put in the game researching at the moment! any help would be great!

There are quite a few requirements that have to be met.. you kinda have to make a presentation to them, and justify why your clan/group should be put in the game. Join one first, see what you think.. drop me a line in game, and I'll invite you to mine. On xbox the groups are quite small.

So my communication and context on this forum is clear and to the point " Setting up of Background Simulation" a link to the requirements page would be great, an outline of what the proposal requirements maybe or how to create a minor faction page?

This one.

No software or nothing. Be aware, the galaxy is getting quite full these days.

Trying to register our Minor Faction after registering our Group but we are unable to find a suitable home system. We keep getting an error " The star system that you entered could not be found or is unavailable. Did you mean: Fincien or Mingin or Vincana or Ngola or Lenchis ? " for a lot of the systems where we found no other Player Minor Factions. Is there a way to search for Systems using EDDB or Inara to find systems that are available for Minor Factions to establish as Home Systems.

Trying to register our Minor Faction after registering our Group but we are unable to find a suitable home system. We keep getting an error " The star system that you entered could not be found or is unavailable. Did you mean: Fincien or Mingin or Vincana or Ngola or Lenchis ? " for a lot of the systems where we found no other Player Minor Factions. Is there a way to search for Systems using EDDB or Inara to find systems that are available for Minor Factions to establish as Home Systems.
Not directly.

I have seen unconfirmed reports that you can't use a system which has a Fleet Carrier in it (presumably because it counts the Fleet Carrier virtual faction against the maximum), so if you've parked one there, try moving it out and retrying the form.

Choose a superpower of the 4, then a government type. Then search for that on things like EDDB, Inara etc. Then go have a look through every system, and get a shortlist of ones that don't say player or have player symbol on

Our first 2 choices it said the same thing, did you mean this other system? We managed to get another 2 choices. Research first will help. And space to expand too. Being further to the edges of the Core Systems bubble will be quieter, the last thing you want is your home system to be neighbours with the biggest player factions around after all. You can check on Inara for nearest inhabited systems. We looked through the nearest 20 light years and counted how many inhabited systems there were and how many had a player minor faction in.
We're on Xbox too and not long started, so might be able to help with some tips etc

Choose a superpower of the 4, then a government type. Then search for that on things like EDDB, Inara etc. Then go have a look through every system, and get a shortlist of ones that don't say player or have player symbol on

Our first 2 choices it said the same thing, did you mean this other system? We managed to get another 2 choices. Research first will help. And space to expand too. Being further to the edges of the Core Systems bubble will be quieter, the last thing you want is your home system to be neighbours with the biggest player factions around after all. You can check on Inara for nearest inhabited systems. We looked through the nearest 20 light years and counted how many inhabited systems there were and how many had a player minor faction in.
We're on Xbox too and not long started, so might be able to help with some tips etc
Thanks for your response. That's the issue I'm having. The system we are trying to establish as our Home system does not have any player factions in it (only non-player). It is the home system for one of the non-player faction but I didn't think that non-player factions would prevent you from claiming the system as your home. Aside from that, I'm surprised there isn't an easy way to list all available systems and at least give you a starting point to explore further to see if they match your SuperPower and gov't type as you suggest. Maybe I'll see if the developers of EDDB will add that to their System search.

This might be useful for you - a list of all systems which EDDB doesn't think has a PMF in them.
Caveats:
  1. I downloaded the EDDB dataset used for this on Sunday, so changes in the last few days aren't there
  2. EDDB may occasionally be wrong about which factions are PMFs
  3. Some fringe systems only get a player sending an update to EDDB every few weeks, so they're possibly also out of date.
  4. I've not made any attempt to exclude systems which are ineligible for PMF addition for other reasons.

For the curious, the command to run on the EDDB export files factions.jsonl and systems_populated.jsonl to generate it.
Bash:
grep -vf <(grep 'is_player_faction":true' factions.jsonl | cut -f2 -d:  | cut -f1 -d, | sed -e 's/^/minor_faction_id":/' | sed -e 's/$/,/') systems_populated.jsonl | grep -Eo '"name":"[^"]+","x"' | cut -d: -f2 | cut -d, -f1

Attachments

• nopmfs.txt
    70 KB · Views: 98
This might be useful for you - a list of all systems which EDDB doesn't think has a PMF in them.
Caveats:
  1. I downloaded the EDDB dataset used for this on Sunday, so changes in the last few days aren't there
  2. EDDB may occasionally be wrong about which factions are PMFs
  3. Some fringe systems only get a player sending an update to EDDB every few weeks, so they're possibly also out of date.
  4. I've not made any attempt to exclude systems which are ineligible for PMF addition for other reasons.

For the curious, the command to run on the EDDB export files factions.jsonl and systems_populated.jsonl to generate it.
Bash:
grep -vf <(grep 'is_player_faction":true' factions.jsonl | cut -f2 -d:  | cut -f1 -d, | sed -e 's/^/minor_faction_id":/' | sed -e 's/$/,/') systems_populated.jsonl | grep -Eo '"name":"[^"]+","x"' | cut -d: -f2 | cut -d, -f1
Thanks, it's a big list but it's a start. What would some of the other possible reasons a system would be ineligible for PMF additions?

If it has more than 7 minor factions in
If has no starport
If it's lore important
If it's permit locked
Afaik, a fleet carrier can mess things up, but that's not been seen by me on official lists of things
If more than 500ly from Sol
If has any player minor faction or NPC minor faction that's been adopted by a player group

When applying, you must at one point choose Fed, Emp, All, Indy, then you choose government type, like Democracy, Dictator, Theocracy, Corporate. Then your up to 3 choices must match that. If you choose Empire Patronage, your 3 choices must be already controlled by Empire Patronage minor faction
It can't have a rare commodity either, like Fujin Tea, Xihe Alien Pets etc

I'd say get a list of 6 to 8 and rank them too.

We copied and pasted the relevant 2000 systems into excel, then looked up each one and deleted the row that had PMF in. That left 84 for our category of system. Then we went through the list on Inara, went by number of stations, how many PMF in neighbouring systems there were, distance from the star etc

What counts as lore important I'm not sure, as powerplay headquarters have PMF in. In essence, just type the systems in on the form and if they don't work, try the next one. Be aware Inara and EDDB wasn't up to date for a few of our choices as they are backwaters so you'll prob wanna go to the system map in game and check

What counts as lore important I'm not sure, as powerplay headquarters have PMF in
Some of those will have got in before that rule was added - the rules have been added to quite a bit over the years, so where existing PMFs are isn't a good guide to where they can be added now.

And of course some of them expanded in from elsewhere - if you want a system that's not eligible for addition itself, pick one nearby and use that as a basis.

Top Bottom