Settlement Raid: 10th scavenger can't be found

Took a mission to kill 10 scavs at an Odyssey settlement. The last one is missing. Didn't we have this before and it was supposedly fixed?

Screenshot_0097.jpgScreenshot_0098.jpgScreenshot_0099.jpg

So, we are in another play around the bugs game loop. Plus all the other flaws: graphics performance, CTDs, support missions are very rare, irregular markers with a threat level are rare, NPCs have night vision ... they see you and you don't see them.

Last edited:
Took a mission to kill 10 scavs at an Odyssey settlement. The last one is missing. Didn't we have this before and it was supposedly fixed?
Just done a restore mission and the a 10th scav that is supposed to be there does not show on the SRV scanner.

I have a theory. The scav went walkabout. Left the settlement and headed out into the oulu. Went to find himself. Or on a shovel recce (for reference, watch "Ice Cold in Alex"). The evidence I have for this is that I once saw it. I think it was a scout. I was approaching the base and saw one scav on its own. Ah ha! says I, at the other end of the base and just ripe for the taking out. So I skirted the base heading in his general direction, and his marker was beyond the base. No problem says I as I start to chase him down. After at least 500m I see him in the distance with the SRVs night vision ambling along away from the base, without a care in the world. Getting to about 100m, I decide to dismount and have some target practice with my Executioner. So I start popping away, and because he is not moving directly away from me but partially laterally, the first half dozen or so rounds miss. He does not notice he is being shot at! (audio masking, yeah!). Finally, I get the lead just right and take him down. So, it seems that every now and then the AI will have an NPC do something strange.

Steve 07.

Last edited:
Sometimes an NPC wanders off indeed. They keep walking in a straight line away from the settlement.
I find that to be true especially when they start chasing you and then lose you: at that point they simply wander off.
Better be aware of where your chasers are *
If they choose to be stuck in a wall, instead, just be sure to have your missile launcher handy*

*until it gets (hopefully) fixed

Do they show in the SRV scanner?

Steve 07.

Yes, so it does not apply to the case you described, unfortunately.
Those stuck in the walls are also able to shoot you effectively.

In your case the wandering off scenario seems more plausible; it's happened to me a few times. The first time I was lucky to realise that he was walking away without trying to come back, so after that I always keep an eye out.

NPCs never had night vision before, if you stepped into their flashlight cone you got seen of course.

So did they change this?

Edit: Just tried a scavenger mission at night. Something isn't right. I don't think they can necessarily see at night but they were all 100% static, not moving, no flashlight on and they saw me at the range they'd normally see me (with flashlight). And two sort of saw me when I'm certain they shouldn't have been able to. But they couldn't move so it's unclear what was going on.

Couldn't find the last of 7 taregets though. And it crashed when I left my ship after trying to locate the last one on contacts... Not feeling right either way, but I've seen the static NPC bug before so I'll try again.

Edit2: Lol what the hell? Just tried again, they're all still static, all red when I loaded in. Then my frame rate drops to 15fps permanently... Did this one pass QA?

Last edited:
NPCs never had night vision before, if you stepped into their flashlight cone you got seen of course.

So did they change this?
I can only speak for my experience so far with Update 6, but...

NPCs no longer have flashlights - which is I think why people are saying that they have night vision. I think the flashlight cone is bugged, because I've seen some people mention that their own disappears when using the external camera.

They do seem MUCH more aggressive, and can seemingly spot us from a serious distance. I landed at a tourist site just now about 2km out, making the subsequent 1.5km in the SRV and last 500m on foot. Right when I parked the SRV I targeted an NPC to verify range. Their shields were up and were closing on me at speed - within about 20 seconds I was under fire from five of them. I've also noticed that when I do get into a settlement undetected, I'm quickly spotted at distance by NPCs long before they're within on-foot scanning range, or on my suit radar. (Bearing in mind I just started doing on-foot stuff last week, so am still dealing with defenceless and mostly defenceless)

NPCs no longer have flashlights - which is I think why people are saying that they have night vision. I think the flashlight cone is bugged, because I've seen some people mention that their own disappears when using the external camera.

They do seem MUCH more aggressive, and can seemingly spot us from a serious distance. I landed at a tourist site just now about 2km out, making the subsequent 1.5km in the SRV and last 500m on foot. Right when I parked the SRV I targeted an NPC to verify range. Their shields were up and were closing on me at speed - within about 20 seconds I was under fire from five of them. I've also noticed that when I do get into a settlement undetected, I'm quickly spotted at distance by NPCs long before they're within on-foot scanning range, or on my suit radar. (Bearing in mind I just started doing on-foot stuff last week, so am still dealing with defenceless and mostly defenceless)
The whole thing seems horrendously bugged to me. They don't even move. And my frame rate just plumetted to a figure way lower than I've ever experienced.

Edit: Frame rate settled and now they can move. Still all wonky though. I think Fdev could use a more rigorous testing process.

Performance is absolutely terrible for me. Crashed twice, frame rate drops constantly. Just gone down the potty hole.

Last edited:

Everything you say has happened to me, too.

To top it off, 3 of the 4 scavenger extermination missions I've taken didn't actually spawn any scavengers at the site. Leaving the site via supercruise and returning didn't spawn any, and logging out to desktop and back in did - but in doing so stripped all assets from the settlements. (And in all occasions, the scavengers that spawned via that method weren't "the ones I was sent to take out" apparently)

View attachment 254097View attachment 254099View attachment 254100

So, we are in another play around the bugs game loop. Plus all the other flaws: graphics performance, CTDs, support missions are very rare, irregular markers with a threat level are rare, NPCs have night vision ... they see you and you don't see them.
I had this today, but after a relog all 10 of them spawned. Most likely it bugged while I tried it for the first time, and the relog reseted it.

And last target in massacre still underground bug...

I think the issues with missions have just got worse in update 6, not better. Significanty disappointed.

1627854775402.png

Edit: Managed to work a way around this by killing this target first.

Last edited:
These flaws drain the fun out of the game. Blaze your own trail? How, if most of the game loops you enjoy are bugged or non-existent. I'm jumping about in the bubble trying to find support missions ... looking for infrastructure systems with the main faction owning settlements ... Inara lists them ... I go there ... zero support missions.

Combat missions are all over the place, but that's not my trail.

They do sometimes wander out of range. I had a settlement massacre mission today that seemed to be one short 19/22 with 2 on the staff list. Killed one and heard a disembodied voice. Went back to the terminal which now had 2 staff remaining. Found the one that was previously missing from the list wandering around at the edge of the settlement, blundering into barriers. Killed them and went back to find the last one. Unfortunately they were stuck under the floor of the PWR building, they could see me and shoot at me, but I couldn't get them. So I gave up, turned off the atmosphere and nicked the power regulator. Since there is still time left I might have to try it again and hope that it resets properly.

make sure they are not invisible!
just had a mission with two invisible scavs.
they appeared on the radar and i could use the scanner tool to aim at them and then my executioner to take them out.
the scanners crosshair turns green when you aim at them.
once dead they became visible.
some screenshots:

watch the radar and mission kill count.
two invisible men:
20210802223541_1.jpg

now one dead to my feet. at that point i choose to take more screenshots.
1st shot is me not aiming at the second invisible guy, but second is. notice the scanners green crosshair in the second pic:
20210802223630_1.jpg
20210802223632_1.jpg

invisible guy two walked on, never expected that plasma bolt. we will remember you bob.
the first invisible guy, the one thats to my feet in the two pictures above, is to the right:
20210802223652_1.jpg

so make sure they are not invisible.
in my opinion, we should call this the bob-incidence!
the moment the universe learned about the existence of personal frame-shifting-devices

Last edited:
Top Bottom