Ship Builds & Load Outs Shields and 4 pips in SYS

2. Increases the amount of shield resistance.

I'd say it increases the base value of the shields. On top of that the resists are calculated
I wouldn't use "resistance" to avoid confusion with the thermal, explosive and kinetic resistances that are explicitly acknowledged in the game as resistances ontop of the absolute values (and to maintain cohesion with absolute damage that ignores resistances, but not the PIPS)

Check this EDSY build.
Check shields values: RAW (base value), Absolute (after pips is applied, 0 Pips = Raw value), After Resists
Play with PIPS while checking how shields values are affected

Conclusion:
  • 0 PIPS Absolute shields equals RAW Value
  • 1 PIPS Absolute shields equals 122% RAW Value
  • 2 PIPS Absolute shields equals 150% RAW Value
  • 3 PIPS Absolute shields equals 188% RAW Value
  • 4 PIPS Absolute shields equals 250% RAW Value
Resists are calculated ontop the Absolute value

Edit: and maybe it's worth mentioning that Collisions (that includes ramming other ships) are doing Absolute damage.
And remembering to put 4 PIPS into SYS before a collision might mean the difference between living to tell the story and the rebuy screen

Last edited:
No. I fly on the joystick and I have trouble aiming in faoff mode, but if I don't have enough rotation I just fly backwards.

That being the case, if those Fer-de-Lance pilots use full boosts to escape view then they will also leave themselves soaring away such that you can turn quite easily. The Landing Gear allows a level of control over a boost which gives agility far beyond any other way to fly, the primary features being the enhanced laterals during the boost, and how it limits the speed due to boosting (actually leaving it in the blue zone when gear is retracted). I also like to give it a moment with Flight Assist off at the start of the boost for the increased turning, followed by Flight Assist on for velocity redirection.

Do try it; you should find it useful on any starship, including the Corvette. That said, in the hands of a medium starship pilot, it will prevent a Corvette acquiring any sort of visual. It is also powerful enough to reevaluate the Mamba's agility, because boosts now feed more directly into agility as a concept when using that method, and the Mamba boost acceleration multiplier is superior enough to bring the Mamba and Fer-de-Lance into a somewhat closer agility comparison than the numbers otherwise admit.

I'm sure more experienced pilots know this, I have discovered, for myself, when boosting you're shields you will get a more or a higher boost with 4 pips as opposed to 1, 2 or 3 pips.

I'd say it increases the base value of the shields. On top of that the resists are calculated
I wouldn't use "resistance" to avoid confusion with the thermal, explosive and kinetic resistances that are explicitly acknowledged in the game as resistances ontop of the absolute values (and to maintain cohesion with absolute damage that ignores resistances, but not the PIPS)

Check this EDSY build.
Check shields values: RAW (base value), Absolute (after pips is applied, 0 Pips = Raw value), After Resists
Play with PIPS while checking how shields values are affected

Conclusion:
  • 0 PIPS Absolute shields equals RAW Value
  • 1 PIPS Absolute shields equals 122% RAW Value
  • 2 PIPS Absolute shields equals 150% RAW Value
  • 3 PIPS Absolute shields equals 188% RAW Value
  • 4 PIPS Absolute shields equals 250% RAW Value
Resists are calculated ontop the Absolute value
I'm sorry, but I don't agree.
If it were, the shields would charge at 3 pips faster than at 4. And if there is enough distributor the charging time does not change.

It's the resistance ...

UPD. Although I understand what you wrote about the analogy. So you can understand it that way.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but I don't agree.
If it were, the shields would charge at 3 pips faster than at 4. And if there is enough distributor the charging time does not change.

I was talking about observed PIPS effects on shield strength.
And i explained why i wouldn't use the term "resistance"
And how Absolute damage (100% for collisions and 60% of Plasma damage) is ignoring resists, but not PIPS setting.

Shield recharge rates are related only to the RAW value of the shields (the one that can be observed in the right panel of your ship), shield generator recharge rate and the state of the SYS Capacitor
PD is not directly recharging shields, PIPS setting is altering the rate of charging the SYS Capacitor which in turns charges the shields and whatever equipment is using the same Capacitor
So as long the Shield regen rates are not exceeding the PD charge values that are used to keep the SYS capacitor charged, it doesnt matter how many PIPS you have in SYS.
For example a 7A Prismatic Shield will recharge as fast from a 7A PD even if you have 1 PIP or 4 PIP In SYS - because it's recharge rates are really slow
But a 7C Bi-Weave will need 2.5 PIPS in SYS to maintain the full recharge rates (and keep the SYS Capacitor topped), but there would be no difference in shield recharge rates between 2.5, 3 and 4 PIPS in SYS

However, there are some particularities:
  • putting 4 PIPS in shields will double the shield regen rate from broken state (but not when they're up and recharging)
  • getting into supercruise will double the shield regen rates.
  • being on a landing pad will increase the shield regen rates like 10 times (iirc)
  • doing a reboot and repair (below 50m/s speed and without taking damage) will always restore the shields to 50% capacity, no matter how small or how big the shields are, and the entire operation takes only 30s

Top Bottom