Shields glowing Purple?

Hey all,

So, the past few nights we've noticed that sometimes when being hit, our shields are glowing Purple rather than the usual colour. I was wondering if there's an explanation for this?

My friend initially mentioned he saw my shields glow purple when he accidentally hit me while we were fighting a group of NPC's. So, I took that as the reason and thought no more of it. However, a short while later I noticed my friends shields were glowing purple while being hit...by NPC's - certainly not me.

I did do a very quick search on this, and someone spoke about Biweaves glowing purple when hit. However, we've been using Biweaves for ages and have never seen this. Indeed last night I wasn't using Biweaves in my ship, yet they were still glowing purple from my friends perspective from time to time.

So, is there a valid reason for a shield glowing purple when hit? I'm asking purely out of curiosity, as purple shield glow is something neither of us have ever noticed before.

Scoob.

Why did the shields on my Corvette - standard 7A's albeit engineered - also glow purple from my friends perspective then? Remember, he was the first to point it out after accidentally hitting me.

Additionally, I've seen him get hit - a lot lol - by NPC's during our many many hours playing around in HazRes sites, yet this is a new thing. I'd say that the purple glow I'm seeing is far from subtle and not something I'd have missed previously.

Edit: just to add that his shields weren't glowing purple with every hit, just from time to time. I.e. I see one attacker shoot him, remark on the purple glow. He is then engaged by subsequent attackers, no purple glow, just the normal one.

Like I said, he pointed this out first, then I noticed it when he was being shot a little later. He does have Biweaves, so if it was just him getting the purple glow effect that that'd be it. However, my non-biweaves are also glowing Purple.

I'm not denying that this should be the effect Biiweaves have when hit. Just that I'm not using Biweaves, plus this is something that only just started happening - despite most of my ships (and his) using Biweaves exclusively. I'd simply tweaked by Corvette to have bug shields instead, pretty much every other ship I have uses Biweaves though.

Some graphical anomaly maybe? I'm using the same GPU, same monitor and same settings I always have. Only recent change is I updated my nVidia drivers a few days ago - but then I always keep them up to date.

Also, unless something's not been working properly in my game, this means I've NEVER encountered an NPC using Biweaves, but surely they do. Right?

Summary: Wingmate sees purple glow from my non-Biweave 7A shields when he hits me. He's not commented on seeing the effect previously, though I get hit a lot by NPC's too of course.

Scoob.

You're using regular 7A? Not Prismatics or anything?

Not sure, was your friend using Bi-Weaves? And did he have a special effect on his weapons when he accidentally hit you?

I wish I could see "how purple" this was.

Not sure, was your friend using Bi-Weaves? And did he have a special effect on his weapons when he accidentally hit you?

Prismatics are ghastly green :)

Is your experimental multi-weave? (my favourite choice) That may be it...

I've engineered the 7A's for thermal resistance with the Thermo Block (I think it's called) Experimental effect on this particular build.

Yep, regular 7A Engineered as mentioned above.

Yes, he has Biweaves on his ships. He uses Thermal Vent on his Beams, not sure what he's got on his Kinetic weapons.

Remember, I mentioned his shield didn't have that purple glow - and it really was in yer face purple glow, very bright - on every hit he took, which is what made it remarkable in that respect - it wasn't consistent.

Note: to clarify, he did mention my shields were sometimes glowing purple from NPC hits too, not just his. Again though, not every time.

Scoob.

Is this what you're seeing ?

Purple Shield.PNG

Took this capture from D2EA video Time Stamp 1:10 / 20:50 -->

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSlfF_nfXec&list=TLPQMjcwMTIwMjA_YRXzgrQbNw&index=2

Last edited:
Not quite. The entire shield isn't glowing purple like that, just the impact points. The rest of the shield flickers blue, sorry, I wasn't very clear on that - but then I've not once seen the entire shield go purple like in your image.

Scoob.

I've been playing this game close to three years and had no idea that bi-weave glowed a different color than regular shields. I'm always learning something new!

Not quite. The entire shield isn't glowing purple like that, just the impact points. The rest of the shield flickers blue, sorry, I wasn't very clear on that - but then I've not once seen the entire shield go purple like in your image.

Scoob.

The full purple shown looks to be from a shield cell bank pulse effect, earlier in the video it shows blue and some purple splash marks as normaI strike effects.

The full purple shown looks to be from a shield cell bank pulse effect, earlier in the video it shows blue and some purple splash marks as normaI strike effects.

Ah, ok - that explains it. I guess the shot was taken between the "pulses" that signify an SCB is in use. Neither myself nor my wingmate were using SCB's last night, though my Type 10 does and it has a Biweave.

I'm with @Old Duck on this one, I - and my friend - have been playing since the original Beta and have never noticed the purple glow with Biweaves - or anything else - previously. This is of course why we were wondering about it last night.

Scoob.

Top Bottom