General Ship-Interiors - Gameplayloops

Alright … So we didn’t get ship interiors because there’s no gameplay for it and it would be boring to run through your ship 1000 times.

Let’s solve this problem from the perspective of someone who is used to the most boring gameplay in all of Elite: From the exploration perspective. :)

I’m sure that others will have more and better ideas. BUT this is what I came up with in less than 10 minutes.

Boarding and Disembarking

You open your bottom menu and choose “Disembark” for the OG Frontier “Armstrong Moment” OR you choose “Get up” and find yourself on your feet inside your cockpit and you walk the corridor(s) of your ship towards your Exit-hatch.
Now you can fade to black and put us outside, preferable on top of the steps is the ship has them.

To board your ship you can just walk up the Steps and choose “Board” or “Board to Cockpit” Simple. And we even can choose to walk the corridor(s) for the 100th time or not.

With that out of the way we can fill our interiors:

Exobiology-Gameplay/Geology-Gameplay (if that’s a thing at some point):

We found a bunch of strange new biological things we don’t know and took samples.
We enter the ship and walk up our Science station where we enter our sample containers, which will get cleaned and prepared for reuse.
We enter the menu and analyze the samples in some kind of Minigame. (NOT reaction based) Through this game we are able to increase the worth of our finds and therefore increase the reward from Vista Genomics.

We also can look at our Catalogue, which shows us know species and all the Stuff we have found.

After finishing our work, we can grab our cleaned sampling containers. The number of containers available depends on the size of the science station your ship can fit.

RP-Gameplay:

After a long day of flying or while being docked or landed, you feel like you have to tell the world what you’re up to or you just want to create a log entry.

Great! You enter your cabin and use the terminal on your desk. You can now write an entry for your logbook and attach recent finds or even screenshots. You can also post a message on some kind of Galaxy-wide social feed for everyone to see. Or maybe just your Squad. (And no, this doesn’t break lore or any tech-rules … you can request a ship-transfer instantly through half the galaxy. You can also send a message!)

Exploration-, Combatplanning- and Travel Gameplay:

You walk up to your Navigation Terminal which brings up an enhanced version of the Galaxy map.

You let the System search for Systems with certain resources, star types, combat zones or commodities and plot proper waypoints. You can plan long range trips and put notes on waypoints and/or Systems.

And if you’re a filthy ganker, you can track the movement and look for the most visited systems.

Random/general gameplay:

You crashed into a star or got a hit too much from the last pirate you killed? No problem. > Walk to the engine room and repair your burning powerplant or whatever internal component is defective to some extent.

You looted a base or derelict ship? > Nice! If you found a memento of this adventure, place it in your ship. There’s a lot of space on those walls.

You came back from your last salvage mission with a few more holes in your body? > Well … Just visit the sick bay of your ship. Get some bandages from the shelf and get back to health.

Want some great deals? > Check your Terminal for the current prices across the markets in your area.

You have some shady stuff going on and something to hide? > Put it behind a wall hatch or in a space below the floor. But be aware! Just as easy as the authorities scan you, they can check your ship after you landed. … and (maybe) find your smuggled goods.

I came up with this stuff within a few minutes and I'm sure the community has alot more ideas. Hell... FDev wouldn't even need to design those loops, because the community already did. Just take those ideas and implement them.

Not fulfilling the NUMBER ONE requested feature across the whole playerbase because there's no gameplay for interiors is nothing but a lazy excuse.

Just give me a Browser panel in ship,
that I can use to connect to any of the 3rd party info sites like INARA,
then get rid of the need to drop out at each star while traveling.
And I could use that time for a real purpose, rather than the Bored to Death, Jump-De-Jump Loop.
Later add legs and Interiors to the Ships.

Just give me a Browser panel in ship,
that I can use to connect to any of the 3rd party info sites like INARA,
then get rid of the need to drop out at each star while traveling.
And I could use that time for a real purpose, rather than the Bored to Death, Jump-De-Jump Loop.
Later add legs and Interiors to the Ships.
Jumping from system to system and dropping out at each jump is THE base mechanic of travel in Elite. Travel would become much more boring and you'd miss so many pretty systems. Definitely something that shouldn't be removed. If you don't like this kind of travel, you should use one of the many Carrier taxis that exist now. =)

Jumping from system to system and dropping out at each jump is THE base mechanic of travel in Elite. Travel would become much more boring and you'd miss so many pretty systems. Definitely something that shouldn't be removed. If you don't like this kind of travel, you should use one of the many Carrier taxis t
What you been smoking, it's one of the most boring and tedious things in ED.
I propose having the option to drop out when and if you want, otherwise continue on.
Most times I am going to a location for a reason, not just sight seeing, even when
exploring I am looking for a special type of planet, and would rather be scanning,
than wasting time staring at a Sun, over and over.

Last edited:
Nice ideas, I'd love the smuggling path. But as long as you only can sell to a black market it will not get the drive it needs.
Unfotunately I can't see FD willing to bring the big changes to markets even if I would love to see them.
Regards,
Miklos

I'd like to see:

• combat
  • diplomacy
  • DIY patchwork maintenance
  • decontamination
  • base building
  • ship and module tweaking
  • passenger gameplay
  • crew management
  • smuggling

And have it all tied in to the existing mission systems and gameplay loops to start with. In other words: start simply by deepening existing parts of the game and laying a foundation for more.

I would not touch the power plant. Thats not repairable by limpets for a reason. The reason is risk. At some point you risk to loose everything. Slow death so to say. At this point reboot is a fine option to keep it running. I also would like to be able to get rid of the repair limpets whatsoever and replace it with gameplay.
Equip your arc cutter, got to weld mode and repair the stuff like in subnautica, using up your collected recources.
I always imagine a Wookie on the roof of my ship welding. Gg

Also, space walk would be great to do it in open space. Also as a pirate you could board the ship of an oponent, that had been immobilized, have on foot combat on the ship and be able to steal the complete ship. It is then refunded by the insurance company of course but the pirates got a complete ship and modules additionally. All of them hot forever.
This idea give me the shivers.

There's also the fact that we could also actually go into wrecks with proper ship interiors and have much the same gameplay as we have in FPS. Imagine fighting through a decaying, ancient Anaconda as you hunt room by room for an ancient data tablet while sparks flick off corroded, crumbling hull metal as you return laser fire with the pirates who've been using it as a base for the last 10 years.

Also if you say, that the magentic boots only work on the floor, there is no need for walk up the walls.
I read Elite Dangerous: Wanted at the moment. That is exactly such a scene of ship boarding at the beginning.
Just imagine you hide in the ship and picking out the pirates one by one, finally rebooting the ship and escaping.

Top Bottom