Guide / Tutorial Ship Power Systems

I just got a multi cannon for my Cobra and i couldnt maintain a constant fire. It would cut out mid fire and splutter a bit. Do i need a better power distributor?

Last edited:
I just got a multi cannon for my Cobra and i couldnt maintain a constant fire. It would cut out mid fire and splutter a bit. Do i need a better power distributor?

Its either reloading or if ur getting a warning its underpowered and need more pips to wep.

thanks for the info, just one thing, when I got Lakon Type 7 and used my FDL drive, heat seemed be less after upgrading my power plant or distributor.

Am I right or wrong about that?

The Reactor
Your ships reactor outputs a maximum amount of power. That's it. Nothing special. It has no impact on how fast anything charges, how much you can fire, how far you jump, anything.
Wiki mentions one more difference for better power plant:

Upgrading increases the Heat Efficiency which means that heat will dissipate faster and thus is useful when your ship is in heat intensive situations (fuel scooping for example).

Thanks

This is really in depth, as is the game itself. Thanks for explaining this clearly. I'll be adjusting to my gameplay as suggested.

I recommend the life support at 2 rather than 1 because even if it shuts down, you have at least 5 minutes to get out of the situation, retract your hardpoints for a moment to reset the clock, or get blown up.

Little note on this - after lots of power juggling in my Vulture I've noticed that re-enabling Life Support doesn't reset the reserve timer anymore, it continues to count down from its previous amount.

Something else I've discovered is that the only issue with having your Power Distributor disabled is that you can't adjust your pips on the fly (in my case I retract hardpoints). It remembers your current pip allocation and doesn't affect capacitor recharge rates or engine speed/maneuverability. Only advisable in a comfortable environment where surprises are unlikely though!

After researching the 're-enable life support not resetting the reserve timer' issue, I've found that there is a bug report filed and acknowledged by FDev, awaiting check & response: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=126766

Personally I suspect it may have been seen as a mild exploit when the timer reset, so it was nerfed. I lowered life support priority a few times even though it was always a risky option, just to max out the potential of my Vulture.

Just to add.. More pips doesn't increase the recharge speed on your shields - your shields pull a set amount of power (better A rated shields pull more power, hence recharge faster than E rated shields).
What it does do is recharge the power 'store' that the shields pull power from.

From what I've read more pips in there also increases the strength of your shields (not confirmed myself tbh).
So if you're about to be rammed or hit something, 4 pips in there quick.

If your distributor has enough storage capacity, you might be able to get shields up purely from the stored power bars while having 0 pips the whole time.
Better power distributors have more capacity and also push more power out per second.

While max pips to sys may not RECHARGE your shields any faster (unless your power bar is bottomed out), it does increase your shield REGENERATION rate when your shields have been taken out (after they start regenerating)

I came across this thread searching for info about power plant and/or power distributor and boost. I suspect one of my recent changes is causing the "insufficient power" message I get when I try to boost. Is that something that could be addressed through prioritization?...or maybe I went too low on the plant trying to maximize jump range.

Looking at ships / equipment in coriolis.io I notice some numbers. Weps (27 MJ / 2.9 MW) next to the 5E power distribution module. Then I see that the small pulse laser says (damage 2 (2 MJ)) and the large beam says (damage 6 (24 MJ).

am I right in thinking that the 5e PD can sink 27 MJ of heat, therefore 13 small pulses, or 1 large beam, and one small pulse, but not 2 large pulses? Are there figures available that will let you say " these weaps and PD, I can hold the trigger down for a long time, and these I can use / cool/ use, and that set I cannot even run on this PD"?

Best regards,
Sevin Dragoon

Question, I purchased a Viper mkIV.
I then replaced the reactor with a 4A powerplant.
Then a 3A power distributor,
Then I added a shield module.
Now I want to add a new thruster but they are red out. claiming that they are too big for my ship...all of them.
What did I do wrong, besides not getting them right after the powerplant?

Word about heat generation. Power plants generate heat based on rating (A-E) and the power consumed, not max power capacity. This means that 2E and 8E with load of 9 MW generate same amount of heat or 9 units/s. A and B rated engines produce 0.4 units/MW used, C produces 0.5, D 0.8 and E is 1 unit/MW used.

You can use this in the game, like in fuel scooping. If you turn of every extra system in your ship before fuel scooping, you can dive in faster and get more fuel/second before overheating as the heat from power plant is less. Same thing in combat, everything you absolutely do not need and takes power should be turned off before engaging to off-set the weapon heat. Big fuel scoop powered up does not help you in combat, but powered off it might keep your weapons from frying.

But! I strongly recommend that you never ever do not turn off FSD or any other system that you might need in a hurry. They all have boot-up times. FSD takes 10 seconds to come back online and if it is queued to to come back after weapons are retracted, that is 10 seconds you are just sitting in a possibly hopeless combat situation with shields gone. Only after that 10 seconds does the FSD start charging.

Just a few things I have found.

Top Bottom