Ships Ship request for FDL Variant: Fer-de-Lance GT (Grand Tourer)

The FDL GT (literally Grand Tourer)
For those of us that like the idea of having a rich mans long distance explorer/traveller/mission ship.

I think this seems rational ... but I do tend to see that everyone's wish list ship tends to be overpowered, so what do people think about this?
Where have I gone wrong?

There would be very little graphic coding changes necessary to make this ship happen.

Yes, I know there is no chance but dreaming is fun :)

These are my wishlist differences from the standard FDL:

Positives:
1. Larger 16T fuel tank
2. Larger class 5 jump drive
3. 2 class 5 internal modules

Neutral/negative:
4. Configured for exploration with locked/unchangeable slots for ADS and DSS and class 3 fuel scoop (reducing one class 4 module to class 3)

Negatives:
5. Reduction of weapons: 2 Large and 2 medium hard points (4 hardpoints total on ship)
(this would be the only required coding change. Huge hardpoint disappears but 2 large would need to fit into current medium slots
6. Reduction of utility mounts: 4 only
7. Reduction of power distributor: Class 5

- Negatives (including locking down a few internal slots) are designed to stop people re-configuring into an even better FDL combat ship.

+ Positives are designed to allow us to travel further & carry a little more cargo (mainly for doing multiple missions at once)

There would still be way cheaper, longer distance exploring ships (Asp & DBE), much better multi-purpose ships (Python) and the standard FDL would still be the better combat ship (more weaponry including huge hardpoint, more useable internal slots and external utility modules for SCB and boosters, and larger power distributor)

Price: $100M ....okay I don't really have a reason for that price other than I think it should be exclusive and high end like an Aston Martin GT :)

Thoughts?
Would you fly this?

Negatives:
5. Reduction of weapons: 2 Large and 2 medium hard points (4 hardpoints total on ship)
(this would be the only required coding change. Huge hardpoint disappears but 2 large would need to fit into current medium slots
6. Reduction of utility mounts: 4 only

I would rather have 2 large + 2 medium than current hardpoints on FDL. Also, 4 utilities are enough. I don't see this changes as negatives :D

There was a thread a while back about adding some additional range to the FDL quite entertaining ;) https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=180777&highlight=fdl+range

The biggest problem is that a 5A FSD would give the current combat equipped FDL a range of over 30 LY, stripped out it'd be close to 40 LY, if you want to do the sums have a look here

http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Frame_Shift_Drive

Basically the FDL needs class 4.5 FSD or a Military/Naval FSD to give it a range of 20 - 22 LY as the current class 4 is too small and the class 5 is too big.

There was a thread a while back about adding some additional range to the FDL quite entertaining ;) https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=180777&highlight=fdl+range

The biggest problem is that a 5A FSD would give the current combat equipped FDL a range of over 30 LY, stripped out it'd be close to 40 LY, if you want to do the sums have a look here

http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Frame_Shift_Drive

Basically the FDL needs class 4.5 FSD or a Military/Naval FSD to give it a range of 20 - 22 LY as the current class 4 is too small and the class 5 is too big.

Interesting.
I agree totally .... I don't picture my imaginary FDL GT to hit 30ly jump range. That should be reserved for dedicated extreme range explorers.
I was picturing exactly as you've stated - 20-22lys, 25lys max if people want to strip it down to go further.

That is more than enough to go distance exploring. I've done it and had fun in a Python that could do 18.

In the FDL description it says that Sand Kruger does a variant of the ship, so maybe a fancier FDL that has a better jump range but lesser combat capabilities could be possible. I'll definitely get it!

I'm sure everyone is for a FdL buff or mk 2 or variant, the poor FdL lacks to much in every direction, raw "in your face" shield and offensive power are not worth all the trouble, sacrifices and high skilled needed.

Top Bottom