Ship's Cat

in reality cats are just solitary animals

Not really.
They can thrive as solittary animals, but they are family animals and they love and care for the others cats that are part of their family.
It will take a while until the human companion will be perceived as family, but when it happens the cats will show an impressive amount of love towards the human

aslo, cats can be trained.
Check this out... Agility!!!

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6-uuEgQZhM

Not really.
They can thrive as solittary animals, but they are family animals and they love and care for the others cats that are part of their family.
It will take a while until the human companion will be perceived as family, but when it happens the cats will show an impressive amount of love towards the human

aslo, cats can be trained.
Check this out... Agility!!!

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6-uuEgQZhM

that's pretty awesome. indeed, it's not black and white, just wanted to underline how different they are from dogs. there are amazing examples but it's still not the rule.

also, our livestyles are changing fast and cats are adapting to that as well. it's been a while that their role as companion pets has superseeded that of being convenient pest control, now we usually don't want them to kill little critters any more, there are actually trends for them to be super cute(tm), so for the last few decades there have been different selection pressures, at least on the populations that end up as pets. i guess at some point some will be professional facebook/youtube star breeds :D

tricks are very unlikely to work with a random street cat that didn't have an opportunity to bond with humans early in its life, though, even if it's still considered a domestic cat that tolerates humans being around. a feral one i would approach with extreme caution ;)

MOST cats fit the typical view, and I've had a few. But SIAMESE are vastly different. Very effective guard cats, very loyal, very regimented. At least mine were. I'd take one to space. Not a tabby.. and most certainly not an orange tabby. Orange cats are psycho.

But I like dogs too. Have a dog now, it chose me, not the other way around. Also very loyal. A dog would have died attacking the Xenomorph in Aliens. Or maybe it would have gotten it's own face hugger..

Out of all the animals on the planet, dogs and cats will be the last ones we wipe out.

Given the ability to land, take off AND survive ina 9G environment, I think the"no gravity" thing is kinda more myth than fact.
Until one violent combat maneuver later and your favorite fuzzball is a blood splatter on a console or bulkhead.

'Only one cockpit cat that I need...

tXsYNnC.jpg

I heard this great thing once, the difference between a cat and a dog is:

If you're up a stepladder changing a lightbulb, the cat looks at you with pure disdain, as if to ask. "What on Earth are you doing you fool?".

A dog looks at you like it was saying, "I have no idea what you're doing but I love you anyway".
Dog: "They feed me, the care for me. They must be gods."
Cat: "They feed me, they care for me. I must be a god."

Update: Fat Sue’s older bro Dash is now also banned from leaving port, as he has an annoying tendency to jump straight into the pilot’s seat as soon as my behind leaves it to take a natural function, and usually plots his route via the control console.

Off topic addition; while I always considered myself a dog person, cats are hilarious. We adopted Fat Sue because the vets suggested that Dash was having slight behavioural problems because of loneliness. It was about half a success, because although He absolutely adores her and follows her everywhere She despises him! Seriously, it’s the funniest and most heart-warming tale of unrequited love since Shakespeare. Probably.

Top Bottom