Should I get a joystick?

So somewhat in summary, get a HOTAS (ie. joystick + throttle controller) if you want the most immersive experience (after all, that's exactly what's in-game, if you look down when flying a ship), but you get better and more maneuverability with two joystics instead (similarly to how an game controller works).

In the first case I'm leaning towards the Logitech X56 HOTAS.

In the second case I suppose 2x VKB Gladiator NXT EVO Premium Space Combat Edition. Or maybe 2x Turtle Beach VelocityOne Flight Stick.

one isn't "better" than the other. It is a matter of preference, really. A preference you, sadly, have to find out by yourself :). Having said that, a VKB with the Onmi Throttle can be set up either as HOTAS (or HOTAS plus X-axis) or HOSAS, so it is really best of both worlds.

or get invited to a friend's who has quite a collection of old and new ;)
whatever you decide good luck in giving it some stick!

Last edited:
And after the joysticks I suppose the next step is getting HOTAS chair mounts, for an even more immersive and comfortable experience.

And after the joysticks I suppose the next step is getting HOTAS chair mounts, for an even more immersive and comfortable experience.
My desk has a shelf that pulls out for the keyboard and mouse and my sticks are mounted on either side. My arms lay across the armrests of the chair and the sticks are right there in my grasp at the end of the arm rests.

The Commander's Chair-min.jpg

I have a similar leather recliner as crank my monitor is suspended so legs feet go under...….. else all you will see is a chatpad x box controller everything else is voice controlled apart from a head tracker(baseballcap) as I like to play fully reclined as i prefer monitor close like a desk surround speakers an pc concealed
my next upgrade will porbably be a rum an coke drinking tube lol as constant refills required @tm :mad: where the large pre mixed bottle will be in front of ac outlet behind during the heatwaves (which may help minimize the rum always gone factor hopefully)

Last edited:
In short, for the money the Turtle Beach is the best joystick I've used. Currently using it with X-56 throttle, but I may at some point swap the throttle for another Turtle Beach stick (each has two throttles built in anyway, as well as a mouse and a mouse wheel!).

Contactless sensors, really good feel, and controlling the SRV with it is simply sublime compared to the inaccuracy of the X-56 stick.
Curious on this, can you shar your key bindings, I have recently picked up the verlocityone flight stick and i'm just a noob at key biding. Thanks bro

I have the x56 Rhino, its not very good at all. Should have paid more and got the Warthog, no one ever complains about the Warthog. :(

I have the x56 Rhino, its not very good at all. Should have paid more and got the Warthog, no one ever complains about the Warthog. :(
Not until the cheap plastic gimbal holding all that metal together breaks.....

My Warthog got shelved after less than 100 hours of use.

Top Bottom