Show more intergalactic objects when looking far from the galactic plane

Right now, when you're on edge of the galactic, there is just an empty black space on half of the skybox... Looks not cool, universe has a lot of other galactics, gas clouds etc - they can be shown when very few stars are visible

Here is my photo of a fleetcar with current intergalactic background
star-background.jpg

yeah we already see some of them, but very few

The point being, you can't actually see many of them without some serious telescopic magnification. With the unaided aye there are only a few galaxies you would see, try looking up into the night sky and spotting Andromeda (M31), the nearest galaxy. In most direction you look you would be lucky to see anything. There are a few floaty clouds around that mark the dwarf galaxies in orbit around ours, but for the most part the view would be black.

Yes, you can see a few other galaxies without using a telescope! Our nearest neighbors, the Large and Small Magellanic Clouds, are easy to see from the southern hemisphere. However, one of the most beautiful galaxies we can see with the naked eye is visible in the night sky all this month (November). The nearby Andromeda Galaxy, also called M31, is bright enough to be seen by the naked eye on dark, moonless nights. The Andromeda Galaxy is the only other (besides the Milky Way) spiral galaxy we can see with the naked eye.

So to sum it up, two galaxies, our own (or course) and Andromeda are visible with the naked eye and the Large and Small Magellanic Clouds, that's it, it's just darkness out there as far as our eyes are concerned!

you can't actually see many of them without some serious telescopic magnification
That's true for an observation from Earth surface, also while being surrounded by a lot of nearby stars... I seriously doubt that outside of the galaxy our eye will only see the blackness.
One more thing - it's a game, all in all. Don't you surprised that we can see a lot of dim stars from inside a lit cockpit?

That's true for an observation from Earth surface, also while being surrounded by a lot of nearby stars... I seriously doubt that outside of the galaxy our eye will only see the blackness.
One more thing - it's a game, all in all. Don't you surprised that we can see a lot of dim stars from inside a lit cockpit?

No, the resolution and light detecting abilities of the human eye don't vary at all regardless of where you are. FDEV have gone as much as possible for realism in the game, and there are in fact a few distant galaxies seen from the edge, I don't think in discussion with real astronomers and physicists they they are going to get that much wrong.

And no we can't actually see that many individual stars from our cockpit, the stars we see are the ones calculated to be visible from our position in the galaxy. I mean sure they could have made it so we couldn't see anything at all until we turn the lights out, but it's a game, so that would be silly. But as far as trying to model the galaxy and universe as accurately as possible, I think that's a step they should take, there are some areas where realism simply must trump gaminess, so no, we wouldn't be able to see many other galaxies from the edge and that's the correct way to do it.

Top Bottom