Shp/Landing Pad size.

Does the game handle the issue of landing Pad size?What i mean is,will it only show Starports/Outposts that have the correct size for your ship?

No it wont. I asked the same question elsewhere and i was told that it wont tell you. You need to know the following:

1. Coriolis and Orbis stations (and presumably asteroids) (with letterboxes) take all size ships.
2. Platforms take small and medium sized ships only.
3. planetary bases take small and medium and (may) take large depending on the station.
4. use the system map to determine what systems have stations likely to take your ship.

carry on commander...o7

On pc you just couldnt land on them if you were too big, basically anything bigger than a python you couldnt land on any outposts, so maybe you have to be careful not to get involved in things that involve outposts if you are too big. But that was then, maybe now it warns you first, or maybe even now theres some outposts big enough to land a big ship, I still got a little one, so not sure :)

The mission system does handle this for its own part, it tells if your ship is too large for the destination and won't let you take the mission.

Otherwise you need to remember that Outposts don't have large pads.
IIRC all planetary bases do have large pads.

Last edited:
As a noob, you've made me courious. If ya accept the mission, and can't dock because it's tooooooooo small. What next, abandoment. Which brings me to another question; What's the largest coolest ship that will fit a medium dock?

As a noob, you've made me courious. If ya accept the mission, and can't dock because it's tooooooooo small. What next, abandoment. Which brings me to another question; What's the largest coolest ship that will fit a medium dock?

Python and FDL.

If you're taking a mission for an outpost in a large ship, the mission should say 'ship too large'.
Outposts only have medium pads, all surface ports and stations have large pads

1 - you won't be able to accept a mission that requires a pad size smaller than your ship. You simply won't be offered the mission in the first place.
2 - Python. The Python is almost embarrassingly good at pretty much everything, once - and this is important - you've A-rated most of it. Engineering helps as well. The only things it's not best suited for are PvP combat, and exploration (since you'll struggle to get the jump range north of 25-30)

My Python is basically my go-to ship for mission running. A trader with teeth.

You can switch ships while you have missions (not if you have passengers), so you can always trade down to land the mission - depends if that is worthwhile to you

Otherwise you need to remember that Outposts don't have large pads.
IIRC all planetary bases do have large pads.

Indeed, all planetary surface bases have all sizes of pads, as do all starports (Coriolis, Ocellus, Orbis and asteroid). It's only Outposts that don't have large pads.

1 - you won't be able to accept a mission that requires a pad size smaller than your ship. You simply won't be offered the mission in the first place.

That's something I was worried about too. Blindly accepting a mission, only to find I can't deliver. Good to know, thanks GreyAreaUK :)

Indeed, all planetary surface bases have all sizes of pads, as do all starports (Coriolis, Ocellus, Orbis and asteroid). It's only Outposts that don't have large pads.

They may have the pads, but someone really skimped on the letterbox - one of these days I'll knock the top of my Type-7 on that.

2 - Python. The Python is almost embarrassingly good at pretty much everything, once - and this is important - you've A-rated most of it. Engineering helps as well. The only things it's not best suited for are PvP combat, and exploration (since you'll struggle to get the jump range north of 25-30)

Is that the reason some mission are unavailable to my t6 which is a medium. Because though I have an complely empty ship, capable of hauling 64 tons, the brokers won't let me have one even if it only 10 tons of cargo. What's up with that?

I would trade in my conda for a python if the python had a fighter hanger allowance. But sadly, we can't have everything and I refuse to fly a keelback.

I would trade in my conda for a python if the python had a fighter hanger allowance. But sadly, we can't have everything and I refuse to fly a keelback.

You are missing out on a fun ship in that case. I think the keepback is a great little "no mr pirate, YOU just made a mistake" ship, as well as not being bad for exploring (I have one fitted with fighter bay and srv bay and I happily did load of the Guardian sites with it :)

...plus, those side-mounted firefly-like engines! :-D

Yeah but 57 million to buy and probably 4 times that to fully outfit... T6 is a lot less cargo fully outfitted yes - but its only 1 million and change and about another 2 or 3 to fully outfit.

Top Bottom