Signal Sources.

Are these REALLY worth the time?I scanned 2 got a small and large Data Package out if them.......both now Stolen!!!

There's a whole bunch of different types, and you get different things in different systems. The survey scan data is a little useless, only the large is really worth smuggling into stations, and bad things might happen. You can get data from scanning data beacons, and material of many types, as well as a few legal escape pods (which pirates will attempt to steal, for some reason...), and a couple legal other things, but a lot of "illegal salvage" crap that really isn't worth the effort.

I explored to Elite, and whenever I did run across survey data, I just rammed them. Smash. Problem solved. You don't want me to scoop black boxes? Fine. You can scrape the remains off my shield if you love it so much.

Once you start using Engineers to upgrade things certain upgrades will require certain materials that can only be found from unidentified signal sources.

For example you'll need pharmaceutical isolators for dirty drives and these can only be found from high grade emission sources found in systems that are in a state of outbreak. Or military super capacitors which can only be found in states of war/civil war.

Depends what the signal source is (once you get close enough it will tell you (Convoy dispersal pattern threat level 4, weapons fire detected threat level 2 and so on...)), what you are looking for and if you are interested in Fdev 'mysteries'. During a PS4 livestream they made a big deal out of unidentified signal sources in relation to 'unregistered beacons / transmitters'. These are in essence where FDev hide clues - usually small clues to bigger things apparently - if you are of a Cannon minded bent you can go decode this and so on...

AND yes as the others pointed out they may have materials for engineers.

Here's a list I came up with awhile back when I was engineering all my ships after getting Horizons finally. This helped me remember what sort of things I was finding in each, so this might help you (or others) a bit. It's not totally 100% complete, but just the things I found in them when I started to document them:

Updated 8/10/17

DEGRADED
Systems: Anarchy, Low Security
Info: Usually a ship has just been destroyed. Often has other ships there already, and contents are canisters of goods and such.
Materials:
May have data beacons (fly into the area closer)
Conductive Components
Mechanical Equipment
Chemical Processers
Galvanising Alloys
Heat Conduction Wiring
Heat Dispersion Plate
Hybrid Capacitors
Mechanical Scrap
Salvaged Alloys
Shield Emitters
Worn Shield Emitters

ENCODED
Systems: any
Location: Shipping lanes, but also outside of the lanes as well including deep space
Info: Contains usually data beacons you can scan
Materials: Common and Uncommon
Chemical Manipulators
Chemical Processors
Compound Shielding
Configurable Components
Electrochemical Arrays
Focus Crystals
Flawed Focus Crystals
Galvanising Alloys
Grid Resistors
Heat Conduction Wiring
High Density Composites
Hybrid Capacitors
Mechanical Equipment
Phase Alloys
Refined Focus Chrystals
Salvaged Alloys
Shield Emitters
Shielding Sensors
Worn Shield Emitters
Modified Embedded Firmware

HIGH GRADE (HGE)
Systems: High population (over 1 million), some say boom state is good, but outbreak, retreat is also good
Location: Deep Space or at least out of shipping lane, 100-1000ls from star
Info: These seem dependent on the system state as to what you get, but you find more in higher pop areas.
Materials: Rare
Core Dynamics (Fed and retreat)
Imperial Shielding (Empire systems)
Improvised Components (Civil Unrest systems, better with Independent and Refinery/Industry)
Military Grade/Military Super Capacitors (War or Civil War)
Pharmaceutical isolators (Outbreak)
Proprietary Composites (retreat)
Proto Heat Radiators
Proto Light Alloys
Proto Radiolic Alloys

COMBAT AFTERMATH
System: State: None, Retreat, War, Civil War,
GOVT: Any,
SECURITY: High
Info: Left over
Materials:
Chemical Manipulator
Chemical Processors
Conductive Ceramics
Conductive Components
Configurable Components
Heat Conduction Wiring
Heat Exchangers
Heat Dispersion Plate
Heat Vanes
Mechanical Components
Mechanical Scrap

DISTRESS SIGNAL
Systems: Everywhere
Info: Has Threat Level. Could be a ship being attacked or out of fuel.
Materials:

WEAPON FIRE
Info: Has Threat Level. Has a rating from 0-4 of danger level (and how many ships). This is an attack, so you can pick a side or just loot
Materials:
Canisters, etc.

CEREMONIAL
Systems: Common in Tourism Systems
Materials:

CONVOY DISPERSAL
Systems: Everywhere (Common in Boom, Tourism)
Info: Transport and Combat ships for scanning (or attacking if in an Anarchy system)
Materials:

ANOMALY
Systems: 130-150 Ly from Merope (Pleides Nebula)
Materials:
Unknown Artifacts (you can destroy for unknown fragements)

Last edited:
Here's a list I came up with awhile back when I was engineering all my ships after getting Horizons finally. This helped me remember what sort of things I was finding in each, so this might help you (or others) a bit. It's not totally 100% complete, but just the things I found in them when I started to document them:

DEGRADED
Systems: Anarchy, Low Security
Info: Usually a ship has just been destroyed. Often has other ships there already, and contents are canisters of goods and such.
Materials:
May have data beacons
Mechanical Equipment
Chemical Processers
Heat Dispersion Plate
Hybrid Capacitors
Mechanical Scrap
Salvaged Alloys
Shield Emitters
Worn Shield Emitters

ENCODED
Systems: any
Info: Contains usually data beacons you can scan
Materials: Common and Uncommon
Chemical Manipulators
Compound Shielding
Configurable Components
Focus Crystals
Galvanising Alloys
Grid Resistors
Heat Conduction Wiring
High Density Composits
Hybrid Capacitors
Mechanical Equipment
Refined Focus Chrystals
Salvaged Alloys
Shield Emitters
Worn Shield Emitters

HIGH GRADE (HGE)
Systems: High population (over 1 million), some say boom state is good, but outbreak, retreat is also good
Location: Deep Space or at least out of shipping lane, 100-1000ls from star
Info: These seem dependent on the system state as to what you get, but you find more in higher pop areas.
Materials: Rare
Core Dynamics (Fed and retreat) such as G 41-14
Imperial Shielding (Empire systems) Achenar
Improvised Components (Civil Unrest systems, better with Independent and Refinery/Industry - Djinaura)
Military Grade/Military Super Capacitors (War or Civil War) (eg. LTT 16218)
Pharmaceutical isolators (Outbreak)
Proprietary Composites (retreat)
Proto Heat Radiators (none) Achenar, Wolf 359
Proto Light Alloys (none) Achenar
Proto Radiolic Alloys (none) Achenar

COMBAT AFTERMATH
System: Retreat, War, Civil War, None (Anarchy, Low security systems are best)
Info: Left over
Materials:
Chemical Manipulators
Conductive Ceramics
Conductive Components
Configurable Components
Heat Conduction Wiring
Heat Dispersion Plate
Heat Vanes
Mechanical Components

DISTRESS SIGNAL
Info: Has Threat Level. Could be a ship being attacked or out of fuel.
Materials:

WEAPON FIRE
Info: Has Threat Level. Has a rating from 0-4 of danger level (and how many ships). This is an attack, so you can pick a side or just loot
Materials:
Canisters, etc.

CEREMONIAL
Systems: Common in Tourism Systems
Materials:

CONVOY DISPERSAL
Systems: Everywhere (Common in Boom, Tourism)
Info: Transport ships mainly so can get a lot of mats for some engineer like (Lei Cheung). Best to attack in Anarchy systems to not get a bounty or security.
Materials:

ANOMALY
Systems: 130-150 Ly from Merope (Pleides Nebula)
Materials:
Unknown Artifacts (you can destroy for unknown fragements)

That's a really useful list - thanks! I've linked it into my sticky "Best of forum" thread.

That's a really useful list - thanks! I've linked it into my sticky "Best of forum" thread.

Cool. I actually have a document I made years ago when I first started that is now about 300 pages long with my "how to do" so that came from that as I was having a hard time trying to simply find what contains what. Seemed there were so many sources of information, but it wasn't all scattered all over so I just decided to do one myself instead...

Top Bottom