Simple Solution to Gankers versus Carebears

Can I just get some context here...

How many gankers are there compared to PvE folk?

I'm betting that the PvE folk outnumber them 20 to 1.

That being the case, the odds of you getting ganked are pretty damn slim. In fact 20 to 1 (Being generous) means that it's a pretty small chance.

But nooo the gankers are a universal threat who can appear at any place at any time. Only within 5 or so populated systems...

I draw your attention to this:

You ARE banned from Mobius is you shoot at anyone else. It's not that difficult to understand.

Fun fact! I was kicked, along with others, for simply not being very fond of them. Never broke any of their rules.

It's not a big deal to me but illustrates the political aspect of this discussion. There's a real hearts and minds thing going on, as weird as that might seem.

dxm55

Banned
Just like in any other PvP game: your ship being destroyed by another player.
I am talking about a possible open-PvE solution, maybe I wasn't clear enough. Sorry for that.
I wouldn't touch current open, because it's fine as it is.

I also mentioned somewhere, that an Open-PVE mode wouldn't make sense.
Because put simply, if players on opposing factions met, wouldn't that make them NOT FRIENDLY in the first place?

You will always have enemies somewhere, be it NPCs or Players. And it simply does not make sense that if I meet you in a game mode as an enemy, I cannot open fire on you because of Friendly Fire restrictions amongst ENEMIES.

Sorry man. The concept just seems warped to me. Won't work.

Just get into a private group or go solo. I know I do that when I want to mine and make quick cash without being needled by some ganker.

Fun fact! I was kicked, along with others, for simply not being very fond of them. Never broke any of their rules.

It's not a big deal to me but illustrates the political aspect of this discussion. There's a real hearts and minds thing going on, as weird as that might seem.
That's why I prefer the solution which is mine and it belongs to me. And it's mine. 😂
It's impartial and all disputes regarding harassment are left for FD employees to resolve, just like they're now.

That's unlucky, but I think it shows that a player-run group isn't really the ideal way to provide PvE.

dxm55

Banned
That's unlucky, but I think it shows that a player-run group isn't really the ideal way to provide PvE.

I can imagine that if an Open PVE mode was indeed implemented, there'd be a lot of whining and finger pointing amongst carebears for legit cases of accidental death and destruction due to actual friendly fire incidents.

You heard it here first. Or maybe not. ROFLMAO.

It's sad. All this time and effort spent discussing methods to eliminate gankers when the tools to neutralize them are already in the game.
The sad thing is that so little effort has been put in to make the interaction between a players that hunt for players and those that do other tasks, more fun. It could have been something exciting, but it's really quite dull.

Personally I rarely encounter anyone with the intention of harming me. I usually have to seek out dangerous spots, if I want to be attacked. The last time I did that, was the Maia passenger rescue mission. I honestly thought it would be fun to run the gauntlet in Open and I had a ship that could do the job.
It wasn't fun at all. The few PKers I met had no serious chance of harming me. I could outrun them or jump, but mostly I could just dock before they noticed me.
On the other hand, there was zero point in me trying to engage them. Their ships were probably practically immune to an attack from me.

All I got from playing in Open was having to break of the landing and escape a few times. More annoying than thrilling.
I doubt the player hunters had much fun with me either. They have to rely on unprepared players for their fun.

I don't know exactly what should be done, but it's not working well as it. 😞

I also mentioned somewhere, that an Open-PVE mode wouldn't make sense.
Because put simply, if players on opposing factions met, wouldn't that make them NOT FRIENDLY in the first place?

You will always have enemies somewhere, be it NPCs or Players. And it simply does not make sense that if I meet you in a game mode as an enemy, I cannot open fire on you because of Friendly Fire restrictions amongst ENEMIES.

Sorry man. The concept just seems warped to me. Won't work.

Just get into a private group or go solo. I know I do that when I want to mine and make quick cash without being needled by some ganker.
If you can't see any sense in it, that still doesn't mean that the sense isn't there.

The sad thing is that so little effort has been put in to make the interaction between a players that hunt for players and those that do other tasks, more fun. It could have been something exciting, but it's really quite dull.

Personally I rarely encounter anyone with the intention of harming me. I usually have to seek out dangerous spots, if I want to be attacked. The last time I did that, was the Maia passenger rescue mission. I honestly thought it would be fun to run the gauntlet in Open and I had a ship that could do the job.
It wasn't fun at all. The few PKers I met had no serious chance of harming me. I could outrun them or jump, but mostly I could just dock before they noticed me.
On the other hand, there was zero point in me trying to engage them. Their ships were probably practically immune to an attack from me.

All I got from playing in Open was having to break of the landing and escape a few times. More annoying than thrilling.
I doubt the player hunters had much fun with me either. They have to rely on unprepared players for their fun.

I don't know exactly what should be done, but it's not working well as it. 😞

This is sad to hear, but I appreciate hearing it all the same. Gonna give it a good think for sure.

LOLwut?

Traders, fine. Exploration ships...defenses? You must be new around here...

Nice to see that jab at PvP, take it you are one of those "MANDATORY OPEN PvE FOR ALL" types?

I guess I'm new then, considering I don't go anywhere, not even outside of bubble without shields unless it's a shieldless build, I find that much easier than to complain to Fdev that someone shot at me while it was my fault to begin with (eg. lack of shields). It's not a jab at pvp, generally when building a pvp ship it's a non issue, everything is getting maxed out, engineering bypasses the limitations. While in trading you can't engineer your cargo hold to hold more cargo to compensate for having stronger shields. Exploration the same, if you want to have defenses you have to trade in your range, or are you suggesting no one ever got blown up returning to the bubble, or even "grazed" a planet a bit harder?

I guess I'm new then, considering I don't go anywhere, not even outside of bubble without shields unless it's a shieldless build, I find that much easier than to complain to Fdev that someone shot at me while it was my fault to begin with (eg. lack of shields). It's not a jab at pvp, generally when building a pvp ship it's a non issue, everything is getting maxed out, engineering bypasses the limitations. While in trading you can't engineer your cargo hold to hold more cargo to compensate for having stronger shields. Exploration the same, if you want to have defenses you have to trade in your range, or are you suggesting no one ever got blown up returning to the bubble, or even "grazed" a planet a bit harder?

The amount of cargo and jump range traders and explorers have to sacrifice for good defense is a pittance compared to what's gained.

It's the maxed out trade or exploration builds that get their butts handed to them.

But that's the case in private groups also. It's just that the rules prevent you from attacking the other player, even if they are a legitimate enemy.

The modes are still fine as they are, though. :)

Top Bottom