Planet Coaster Sizes of toolkit objects are to big

So many beautiful items had been created with graphic tools like blender or similiar software. But what about the size of those objects? There are houses created in planet coaster which size is 0,004Mb. But nearly all community creations are more than 1 MB. 'Cause of the reason, that fps are the most factor in planet coaster, I think those objects are not usebale unless there will be found a method to reduce the sizes. What do you think about that fact? Is it not sad to have the possibility to create own scenario items, but using them will reduce the speed of the system in such a way, that the game becomes unplayable? [cry]

Vampiro

Volunteer Moderator
So many beautiful items had been created with graphic tools like blender or similiar software. But what about the size of those objects? There are houses created in planet coaster which size is 0,004Mb. But nearly all community creations are more than 1 MB. 'Cause of the reason, that fps are the most factor in planet coaster, I think those objects are not usebale unless there will be found a method to reduce the sizes. What do you think about that fact? Is it not sad to have the possibility to create own scenario items, but using them will reduce the speed of the system in such a way, that the game becomes unplayable? [cry]

Are you sure ingame items are really that small? Where do you see that number?

Hi Vampiro, I swear I've seen this size in the workshop this morning, but now I cound not find it. But I've collected some items (and there are many, many more) which sizes are nearly 0,004 MB:

Asian Lantern (0,005MB)
Western Kirche (0,007MB)
Simple Village House002 (0,005MB)
Festive Shop (0,008MB)
Carribean Villa Staff Building (0,005MB)
Pirate Coffee (0,007MB)
Cordo Japones (0,007MB)
Tower of Elements (0,006MB)
Popcorn (0,007MB)
and so on. If you are looking under "Small Buildings" you will find much more. I think the problem is, if we use the Thememaker Toolkit objects the frame rate of the game will drop very fast to an unplayable status. So I hope there will be find a method to reduce the size. I want to use the creations of the community 'cause the objects are really beautiful, but at the moment I think it will "Kill the delight" in playing.

I'll agree, there's some gorgeous new assets people have made, but the file size can be pretty worrisome...3.7 MB for a small rock? 6.9 MB for a fire extinguisher?

Make no mistake - they look fantastic...but how many rocks will likely be placed in a park? I can use dozens myself. How many fire extinguishers would we likely place? If you going for realism probably dozens.

I don't know but I suspect most of that file size is being used up for large textures, but do they really need a 2048x2048 texture for a rock? Is a 2048x2048 texture for a fire extinguisher required so you can read the instructions printed on it? What does that add to the game when the in-game textures aren't that detailed?

There's a few items with large file sizes that likely would only be used once or twice in an entire park. I might be willing to use them if they fill my purposes, but things like the rock where I'm likely to use quite a few of them just don't justify the expenditure of the games limited resources on for me personally, so I'll likely pass on downloading them. Which is sad.

I'd love to see these object remade with smaller versions of the same textures to see if the difference in quality is that noticeable...

Just my opinion.

Vampiro

Volunteer Moderator
Hi Vampiro, I swear I've seen this size in the workshop this morning, but now I cound not find it. But I've collected some items (and there are many, many more) which sizes are nearly 0,004 MB:

Asian Lantern (0,005MB)
Western Kirche (0,007MB)
Simple Village House002 (0,005MB)
Festive Shop (0,008MB)
Carribean Villa Staff Building (0,005MB)
Pirate Coffee (0,007MB)
Cordo Japones (0,007MB)
Tower of Elements (0,006MB)
Popcorn (0,007MB)
and so on. If you are looking under "Small Buildings" you will find much more. I think the problem is, if we use the Thememaker Toolkit objects the frame rate of the game will drop very fast to an unplayable status. So I hope there will be find a method to reduce the size. I want to use the creations of the community 'cause the objects are really beautiful, but at the moment I think it will "Kill the delight" in playing.

Are you talking about blueprints then? Or TMT items?

I think (not 100% sure) you can't compare blueprints with TMT items. As the TMT files actually hold models and textures while i don't think this is the case for blueprints. The textures and models of those are in the gamefiles. I will check sometime later but i assume they are a bit bigger as well. Have to agree though that 15Mb items are a bit too large for my taste.

(Or did i horribly misunderstood you now?)

Blueprint files contain purely metadata that tells the game which of the existing models and textures to load and where to put them. The models themselves are stored in the Planet Coaster install directory, and the total size of the all the game content is currently roughly 10 GB.

When you download a TMT item, it contains everything, including the custom model and custom texture. Since they are custom, so the game doesn't already know about them.

This is why the TMT files are so much larger.

Saying that however, the .pcugc files appear to not be compressed like the rest of the game files are. This is perhaps to make sure the game loads faster, but even with compressed files, the models would still use the same amount of RAM when loaded into the game. No way to avoid it unless you just don't use TMT items.

Big size difference

Hi Vampiro, sorry for that misunderstanding. I'm always talking about blueprints only, the one which had been created of frontier scenery items and the one which had been created by using blender. Within the workshop library behind each item you can see the file size. If you compare the items you will find out that there is a big, big size difference.

Then it is not comparable. it is just numbers in a file telling "this object go to this coordinate" and it is small.

If you figured out how to measure the actual ingame assets, then it would be something to compare with. :)

That's what I mean. For example yesterday the item "Possesed Painting 01" was released. It's an awesome creation and I would like to use it in my park. But the size of this creation is 16.338 MB which is much more bigger than completed parks(!!). So I think if those creations are exist of this sizes they are not useable.

Again, the save file for parks is not same thing because it is just numbers there. No actual textures saved in the save files. So you can't compare park files and blueprint files with TMT files.
Because, until now, the park files and blueprint files just contain numbers, basically a list of text telling "this object go to this coordinate and this object go to that coordinate" and save file a little more about rides and guests.

Actual asset data, as texture files etc aren't saved in those files because why do that? The assets are already on the hard disk!

But for TMT it needs to be done because it is not on the hard disk already. So the TMT files will always be larger.

But with that said, many of the objects do have excessive texture files. How large should the TMT files? It depend on the content. If it is a single color solid color with default material object then it can be quite small, maybe a quarter megabyte at most.

(many do not realize they can make tiny texture file if it is solid color, then it can be basically 8x8 pixels size and still be plenty, hey it is enough with 1x1 pixels haha, however I do not know if it is actually supported to go this small)

Then it go bigger when adding detailed texture. Adding flexicolor fields files, adding material feel files, adding... So it depend on what kind object it is.

But really, 16 megabyte IS excessive!

Top Bottom