So, do we get AEGIS back or something better or Salvation, again?

Now that things have gone 'horribly wrong' and knowing that AEGIS was sabotaged, set up for the fall and dismantled:

Are we going the get AEGIS back? Do we want them back?

Will we get something else in AEGIS' place? Will it be any better?

How will the currently unknown Salvation whereabouts play into all of this?

What will the Super Powers do next? Their own thing, individually, or will they combine their Wonder Twin Powers™️ to fight the new threat?

wonder-twins-powers.gif

Last edited:
Now that things have gone 'horribly wrong' and knowing that AEGIS was sabotaged, set up for the fall and dismantled:

Are we going the get AEGIS back? Do we want them back?

Will we get something else in AEGIS' place? Will it be any better?

How will the currently unknown Salvation whereabouts play into all of this?

What will the Super Powers do next? Their own thing, individually, or will they combine their Wonder Twin Powers:tm: to fight the new threat?

wonder-twins-powers.gif
A rational reaction would be to reinstate Aegis.
I expect the politicians in charge of the Superpowers to set up a kangaroo court to pin blame on someone else.
Prediction 1; Hudson and Tanner go after the Musashi.
Someone will want Psykit's head on a stick.

Last edited:
I can see them ressurecting Aegis in the interim but behind the scenes trying to talk to the Thargoids to avert an extiction event

Last edited:
The problem with reinstating Aegis is that one of its former leaders is in prison, most of its former pilots and military assets were probably lost on Tuesday, and all three superpower leaderships are in an extremely politically precarious position right now having backed Salvation so strongly. The Baumann report also wasn't wrong about a lot of the failings of Aegis - which are perhaps intrinsic to that sort of inter-superpower co-operation.

There's perhaps room for voices like Winters or Kaine to demand it, but to actually have it happen would need them to be able to go from the current situation to actually being in charge. Routes for that in each superpower and power:

- Federation: vote of no confidence in Hudson is possible and would probably succeed, but no guarantee that it would be Winters rather than Archer getting made President afterwards, since the Republicans still hold the balance of power in Congress and Archer's domestic focus has meant he hasn't really got any of this crisis on him. Hudson might be persuaded to resign in favour of Archer to avoid a VoNC, perhaps?

- Empire: obviously ALD is the absolute dictator and that isn't going to change (and was sensible enough to slightly hedge her support for Salvation's plan, too). With Tesreau, Aisling Duval and Hadrian Duval all opposed to working with Salvation in advance - and Tesreau, at least, ALD seems to respect personally - I expect she'd be happy to look for alternative routes. That said, Hadrian Duval can say "this is what happens when we work with the other superpowers" and argue for isolationism just as much as Tesreau can argue for that sort of co-operation in terms of Aegis.

- Alliance: the Assembly can of course get rid of Mahon in favour of Kaine (or perhaps Corcoran) at any time, though Mahon of course was pro-Aegis anyway. He's likely to try a "with Salvation dead, Sirius is the only partner offering us support against the Thargoids" approach to reinforce his position, I think, and wouldn't oppose bringing Aegis back if anyone else was interested.

- Sirius: they get to bill the Alliance for the significant loss of personnel and materiel and of course would welcome Aegis returning and needing lots of kit selling to it at emergency prices. Their worry is Mahon being replaced by Kaine (who hates them) or Corcoran (who'd likely sooner be rid of them) so expect some action from them to try to stabilise his position.

- Utopia: not really militaristic in the same way as the other powers. Antal opposed Salvation but never really backed Aegis either. Did suggest the peace conference between the superpowers initially, of course, so might make a reasonable neutral-ish broker to try to set things up again.

- Grom: opposed Salvation, but is never going to trust the Federation enough to work with them on any sort of joint project either.

- Delaine: the one Salvation-supporting leader who is unlikely to face any consequences for it, because his group likely still agrees that wiping out the Thargoids is a good idea and it's just that Salvation went about it the wrong way, because he probably didn't take any actual losses when it went wrong, and because he's already successfully fought off a coup attempt recently and it'll be years before anyone can get the organisation together for another.

- Colonia: not a militarily significant power, and its xenological research is mainly not Thargoid or Guardian related. Likely holding emergency Council meetings right now to ensure that supplies and accommodation are prepared for a substantial wave of refugees in the event that the Thargoids press the attack.

All in all, I do not expect any significant inter-power co-operation in what comes next...

The problem with reinstating Aegis is that one of its former leaders is in prison, most of its former pilots and military assets were probably lost on Tuesday, and all three superpower leaderships are in an extremely politically precarious position right now having backed Salvation so strongly. The Baumann report also wasn't wrong about a lot of the failings of Aegis - which are perhaps intrinsic to that sort of inter-superpower co-operation.
Sure, and there will be lots of finger point in the near future politically...

There's perhaps room for voices like Winters or Kaine to demand it, but to actually have it happen would need them to be able to go from the current situation to actually being in charge. Routes for that in each superpower and power:

- Federation: vote of no confidence in Hudson is possible and would probably succeed, but no guarantee that it would be Winters rather than Archer getting made President afterwards, since the Republicans still hold the balance of power in Congress and Archer's domestic focus has meant he hasn't really got any of this crisis on him. Hudson might be persuaded to resign in favour of Archer to avoid a VoNC, perhaps?
I'm not sure Archer would be any better than Hudson, after all, will the PDB be usable against the goids? It hasn't done any thing yet in that respect...that I'm aware of anyway...

- Empire: obviously ALD is the absolute dictator and that isn't going to change (and was sensible enough to slightly hedge her support for Salvation's plan, too). With Tesreau, Aisling Duval and Hadrian Duval all opposed to working with Salvation in advance - and Tesreau, at least, ALD seems to respect personally - I expect she'd be happy to look for alternative routes. That said, Hadrian Duval can say "this is what happens when we work with the other superpowers" and argue for isolationism just as much as Tesreau can argue for that sort of co-operation in terms of Aegis.
I concur...

- Alliance: the Assembly can of course get rid of Mahon in favour of Kaine (or perhaps Corcoran) at any time, though Mahon of course was pro-Aegis anyway. He's likely to try a "with Salvation dead, Sirius is the only partner offering us support against the Thargoids" approach to reinforce his position, I think, and wouldn't oppose bringing Aegis back if anyone else was interested.

- Sirius: they get to bill the Alliance for the significant loss of personnel and materiel and of course would welcome Aegis returning and needing lots of kit selling to it at emergency prices. Their worry is Mahon being replaced by Kaine (who hates them) or Corcoran (who'd likely sooner be rid of them) so expect some action from them to try to stabilise his position.
More interference from Sirius in Alliance affairs is not something I'd like to see, but could get interesting.

- Utopia: not really militaristic in the same way as the other powers. Antal opposed Salvation but never really backed Aegis either. Did suggest the peace conference between the superpowers initially, of course, so might make a reasonable neutral-ish broker to try to set things up again.

- Grom: opposed Salvation, but is never going to trust the Federation enough to work with them on any sort of joint project either.

- Delaine: the one Salvation-supporting leader who is unlikely to face any consequences for it, because his group likely still agrees that wiping out the Thargoids is a good idea and it's just that Salvation went about it the wrong way, because he probably didn't take any actual losses when it went wrong, and because he's already successfully fought off a coup attempt recently and it'll be years before anyone can get the organisation together for another.

- Colonia: not a militarily significant power, and its xenological research is mainly not Thargoid or Guardian related. Likely holding emergency Council meetings right now to ensure that supplies and accommodation are prepared for a substantial wave of refugees in the event that the Thargoids press the attack.
(y)

All in all, I do not expect any significant inter-power co-operation in what comes next...
Certainly not in the next 3 to 6 months anyway...depends on where the narrative goes though and who (power wise), if any one power, gets hit harder than any of the others...

And for an interesting story I hope they never do- and its then when FD should turn the Thargoid screw.

And for an interesting story I hope they never do- and its then when FD should turn the Thargoid screw.
I think this will be all about the goids in the short term, if yesterdays galnet is anything to go by, but there's a few sub-plots out there developing as well. The main powers may want an enquiry about events may be one...
So far, i think it's been a good thing... well, for my imagination and the surprises and curveballs, breaking the mold.

Aegis was corrupted, a research organisation turned into an arms dealer being used by the powers to secure meta-alloys, and so what if that took a war. We don't need that again. I'm sure the powers are already working on their next mistake.

Tesreau is okay as an independent, even if I think her claims of focusing on communication are perhaps exaggerated. She was also pushing to invade Thargoid territory to claim the meta alloys there, surely she didn't think that'd aid relations?

Top Bottom