So I got Odyssey to give me the console experience.

4Sno2Q3.jpg
jWcou9Z.jpg

So using a combination of disparate technologies, namely a Steam Link and moonlight on a spare thumb drive I have been able to replicate the console experience on my tv. Now for those who will undoubtedly search for and find out, that the steamlink hardware is discontinued, I did find out, you can "make" one, with a raspberry pi and the moonlight software installed on it. Essentially what I'm doing is streaming my nearby gaming PC into my TV and playing with a controller attached, all of this going through my wired local network. The frame rates are pretty good, I havent noticed any lag, either input or display lag. So if anyone misses the console experience you might want to give this a try.

4Sno2Q3.jpg
jWcou9Z.jpg

So using a combination of disparate technologies, namely a Steam Link and moonlight on a spare thumb drive I have been able to replicate the console experience on my tv. Now for those who will undoubtedly search for and find out, that the steamlink hardware is discontinued, I did find out, you can "make" one, with a raspberry pi and the moonlight software installed on it. Essentially what I'm doing is streaming my nearby gaming PC into my TV and playing with a controller attached, all of this going through my wired local network. The frame rates are pretty good, I havent noticed any lag, either input or display lag. So if anyone misses the console experience you might want to give this a try.

You do know that HDMI cables are a thing and they allow you to connect your gaming pc directly to the TV, right?

You do know that HDMI cables are a thing and they allow you to connect your gaming pc directly to the TV, right?
I'm not running a 30 ft cables from my pc to my TV, and that also doesn't solve the issue of inputs, either run 30 ft usb cables, or go wireless and run the risk of cut outs or interference. Not to mention clean up when I'm done and rerun it when I play again

I want to be able to sit down run the steam link boot elite dangerous and go.

For others reading...
If you have an Apple TV you may allready have this function...
If you have Android OS based TV you again may have this function allready...
Some Samsung TV also had this function...
AMD has their own Version to mirror PC, but support for it is very low as its too new...

Check your existing hardware already if your not going the Geforce now route...

Uh why do all this when you can just use a Xbox controller on the PC version of the game and get the same experience as console? lol
Something something couch.
But, again, HDMI is a thing.
"I don't wanna run a 30 foot cable"
If you're worried about it being in the way, use tape. Even then from the image it looks like the PC set up is right next to the larger screen, so 10 feet would be sufficient.

Don't know about you, but an HDMI cable hooked up to my laptop does more-or-less the same thing.
Been using it for a few months. Works fine on my end.

Something something couch.
But, again, HDMI is a thing.
"I don't wanna run a 30 foot cable"
If you're worried about it being in the way, use tape. Even then from the image it looks like the PC set up is right next to the larger screen, so 10 feet would be sufficient.
that's not the PC, that's a test bench box I use for certain random projects and a server I use for other non-related project to this, IE file server, media server, bot server, crypto coordinator, wifi controller, etc. Main gaming PC is on the other side of the room. I may just bite the bullet and run an hdmi cable around the perimeter of the room behind the couch and around to the tv, may be 50-60 ft, and just hook up my xbox dongle to the pc and an HDMI switch so i can switch back and forth between the PC monitor and the TV.

Or, I could just re-imagine the room layout and move my desk to the wall where that book shelf is now. Honestly I'm not sure what I want to do yet.

Last edited:
Or, I could just re-imagine the room layout and move my desk to the wall where that book shelf is now. Honestly I'm not sure what I want to do yet.
Honestly, if what you got works, stick with it. It's moreso you just coulda saved yourself 13 headaches by just sticking with something that practically everyone else uses.

It's like walking for 8 hours to a place when you coulda drove that in like 10 minutes.

4Sno2Q3.jpg
jWcou9Z.jpg

so connect a computer to the tv and use an xbox controller....

4Sno2Q3.jpg
jWcou9Z.jpg

I love tinkering with tech, so I enjoy reading about other people doing the same. I am glad you found a solution you are happy with! o7

For others reading...
If you have an Apple TV you may allready have this function...
If you have Android OS based TV you again may have this function allready...
Some Samsung TV also had this function...
AMD has their own Version to mirror PC, but support for it is very low as its too new...

Check your existing hardware already if your not going the Geforce now route...

We are very close to a hardware-agnostic future where we can play/watch anything on almost anything. I am constantly finding fun ways to use my cheap Chromebook for PC gaming or remote computing. New TVs are now coming with Stadia and/or Xcloud already installed. It is an exciting time for gaming!

All hail our cloud overlords!

Last edited:
that's not the PC, that's a test bench box I use for certain random projects and a server I use for other non-related project to this, IE file server, media server, bot server, crypto coordinator, wifi controller, etc. Main gaming PC is on the other side of the room. I may just bite the bullet and run an hdmi cable around the perimeter of the room behind the couch and around to the tv, may be 50-60 ft, and just hook up my xbox dongle to the pc and an HDMI switch so i can switch back and forth between the PC monitor and the TV.

Or consider buying a new TV possessing 'screen share' out of all the money saved from no longer needing to buy yourself migraine tablets?

Honestly, if what you got works, stick with it. It's moreso you just coulda saved yourself 13 headaches by just sticking with something that practically everyone else uses.

It's like walking for 8 hours to a place when you coulda drove that in like 10 minutes.
Yeah yeah, but at the time I wanted to see if it could be done. I've gone ahead and bit the bullet and bought a 50 ft HDMI (have to go around the circumference of the room the long ways to get to the tv) cable and hdmi splitter that conveys audio and is in 4k. Plus a Xbox controller dongle to go wireless. less technology in the way. Oh well.

next step is to finance a processor and video card upgrade to run Odyssey at recommended specs.

Top Bottom