So if I understand this right about Odyssey is that VR players are shafted?

I mean, its not practically possible for a pure VR player to play Odyssey?
1. You cant just take of the headset and look at the monitor since it is not setup for 2d use.
2. Extreme hassle to put on and off the headset with a monitor and VR setup. Will wear out the headset?

So I as a pure VR player am simply shafted from this DLC?

• Like (+1)
Reactions: Y2K
It's a bit early, but:

1. Horizons/Base game will continue with VR as-is
2. Odyssey is likely to be launcher-blocked from VR at this time

Whether a hybrid approach can happen; i.e. VR in ships, then a floaty window in legs; is up for debate since so far we've only had "no VR at launch" from FDev.

So the liklihood is that if you play Elite Dangerous: Odyssey from the launcher, there will be no VR at all.

1. You cant just take of the headset and look at the monitor since it is not setup for 2d use.
2. Extreme hassle to put on and off the headset with a monitor and VR setup. Will wear out the headset?

Its harsh but a possible reality. Which is sad as it will mean the end of VR for elite. Sure you can play Horizons, but I doubt it will be maintained much if there is a wide gap to Odyssey.

Sad that a game that sported "built for VR" on its website is now - in 2020 when HMD's are more up to the task - dropping it all together.
... all to make room for a run of the mill first person shooter.

Well since they said they have mechanics, and gameplay that won’t work with VR, I imagine you are as shafted as any other game that wasn’t designed for VR.

I also love VR, but Elite was always a flat screen ported experience. It’s was never VR designed. VR supported whereit could be, but never by design.

Well since they said they have mechanics, and gameplay that won’t work with VR, I imagine you are as shafted as any other game that wasn’t designed for VR.

I also love VR, but Elite was always a flat screen ported experience. It’s was never VR designed. VR supported whereit could be, but never by design.
In before the mods close this thread...or may be not.

It has had VR since the beginning. Well before release. So you got that a bit wrong there.

In before the mods close this thread...or may be not.

It has had VR since the beginning. Well before release. So you got that a bit wrong there.
Having VR because it is in a state where the gameplay allows it to be ported over is different than a game designed for VR. Elite was always a VR port from the beginning. A great one mind you.

Examples: Lone Echo is a VR designed game, it wouldnt work on a flat screen.

Exception. No Mans Sky VR is actually VR designed. There are new assets, gameplay and mechanics only experienced by VR players. Likewise NMS on flat screen has things that VR players don’t get to experience.

I hope that there is a team at Frontier that can work on some VR specific development that allows to have new experiences.

Having VR because it is in a state where the gameplay allows it to be ported over is different than a game designed for VR. Elite was always a VR port from the beginning. A great one mind you.

Examples: Lone Echo is a VR designed game, it wouldnt work on a flat screen.

Exception. No Mans Sky VR is actually VR designed. There are new assets, gameplay and mechanics only experienced by VR players. Likewise NMS on flat screen has things that VR players don’t get to experience.

I hope that there is a team at Frontier that can work on some VR specific development that allows to have new experiences.
Had this discussion with another poster who said it wasn't a VR game because it wasn't designed for touch controllers. Bit of a problem to do that back then because there weren't any. How much more VR could they have put in back then? BTW it took one dev a day to do it.

Is there any way of making it so the non VR bits are visible in 2d through ones headset? I would go for that rather than nothing.
Well you can play 2d games wearing a headset, so I don't see why not. Your headset now could replace your monitor if you are that way inclined.

Not quite agree.

ED was until now a space flight simulator. VR was therefore fully justified. VR is now a standard for seated simulators.

The game was not designed for this at the start of ED, because it was the very beginning of VR. Then, few years later, VR was very well integrated into Horizons, with some improvements to be made, of course, that unfortunately was never made. But many VR users were thrilled and invested money in this game.

But for FPS, you're right, VR isn't fully mature for that. But it's a shame to abandon VR for the entire seated simulation part. They could at least have foreseen this part.

Last edited:
Had this discussion with another poster who said it wasn't a VR game because it wasn't designed for touch controllers. Bit of a problem to do that back then because there weren't any. How much more VR could they have put in back then? BTW it took one dev a day to do it.
That’s what I’m saying. It the time, porting it to VR was possible and worked. The cracks where the flat screen design shows are clear in the galaxy map. That could have used some attention, the UI is very clearly a floating 2D plane. Touch controllers don’t matter, they came to VR later, but do elevate the presence in a virtual world for sure.

They said that the new mechanics and gameplay in Odessy aren’t suited to VR so they had to make the decision to move forward. I’m curious over what those could be. We have no information. Perhaps once more is revealed, we’ll all go “Ohhhh, now I see why it would t work.” It’s a mystery until then.

But for FPS, you're right, VR isn't fully mature for that. But it's a shame to abandon VR for the entire seated simulation part. They could at least have foreseen this part.
I’m not sure where the “abandon VR” narrative came from. All I’ve read from the development team is that Odessy is going to have gameplay and mechanics that aren’t as suited to VR so they won’t have it. What these new things are have not been revealed.

Only just appearing back on the scene, and this news is not welcome. I invested a lot of money into ED, partly because of VR, none of it because of space legs. Surely it would have made more sense to keep VR and introduce space legs when VR tech had got to an acceptable level to do it properly. Not amused.

Not quite agree.

ED was until now a space flight simulator. VR was therefore fully justified. VR is now a standard for seated simulators.

The game was not designed for this at the start of the ED, because it was the very beginning of VR. Then, few years later, VR was very well integrated into Horizons, with some improvements to be made, of course, that unfortunately was never made. But many VR users were thrilled and invested money in this game.

Like I've said in other threads, I think they are going after the Star Citizen money. SC is PC only so there are lots of console users thinking it looks cool and they would love to play it. In reality it's really janky, with a load of flashy trailers and screenshots spewed out to look like a fully playable game. But the kids don't know this because they can't play it without a PC. ED doesn't have "legs" like SC so they aren't interested. Now with new consoles coming they have the chance to play a space game with legs. Drop the VR because they don't need it. Shareholders will be laughing. If it's any good of course.

I’m not sure where the “abandon VR” narrative came from. All I’ve read from the development team is that Odessy is going to have gameplay and mechanics that aren’t as suited to VR so they won’t have it. What these new things are have not been revealed.
Not at release is Frontier speak for you're not getting it. See PSVR. The only new mechanic will be the walking. This is obviously too difficult or costly for FD to work on so they will dump it. I can't see any reason why new graphics effects would affect VR. The only way to play VR will be in Horizons.

As I have been saying alot, its a business decision they made. Most likely in 2018 when development for Odyssey started.
Back then VR was in a bit of a limbo. Vive Pro was the "best" out there at the time and a high price, and GFX cards was struggling.

Fast forward 2 years and in the meantime HTC (Vive) released 2 new HMD's. Valve released the Index. Oculus released 2 HMD's... Rift S and Quest (which later supported PC via link cable). HP released Reverb and announced the G2 just recently. GFX cards have caught up too.

Sure, its somewhat of an investment - but people ARE buying this stuff. ED players ARE buying it.

But FD are locked in their basements with all the secrets, telling no-one whats to come. If they just announced the death of VR for Elite in 2018 (or when they decided it), I would not be sitting here and writing this now. And this forum would be full of appraisals from people who still thinks they are going EVA in space and walking stations.

That’s what I’m saying. It the time, porting it to VR was possible and worked. The cracks where the flat screen design shows are clear in the galaxy map. That could have used some attention, the UI is very clearly a floating 2D plane. Touch controllers don’t matter, they came to VR later, but do elevate the presence in a virtual world for sure.

They said that the new mechanics and gameplay in Odessy aren’t suited to VR so they had to make the decision to move forward. I’m curious over what those could be. We have no information. Perhaps once more is revealed, we’ll all go “Ohhhh, now I see why it would t work.” It’s a mystery until then.

Sorry, but I dont believe for a sec that the mechanics and gameplay is not suited for VR. Its just to excuse increased development cost for little value.
If NMS and HL:A can do FPS VR then Frontier can.
I can absolutely not go back to flatscreen Elite after playing it since years back in VR. No chance at all.

Sorry, but I dont believe for a sec that the mechanics and gameplay is not suited for VR. Its just to excuse increased development cost for little value.
If NMS and HL:A can do FPS VR then Frontier can.
I can absolutely not go back to flatscreen Elite after playing it since years back in VR. No chance at all.
At the end of the day, people either choose to believe a developer or not. They are the ones who said they had new gameplay and mechanics. Dismissing it based on no information about what that could be is a little reactionary. It’ll be good to get an actual idea of what they have planned.

I’m the meantime NMSs latest update adds full body VR and all platform cross-play, yea they are kind of twisting the knife a little. :)

Top Bottom