So I’m just gonna say it. I’m using the advanced docking computer as a vet...

I use auto dock/undock on cargo/passenger/large ships as a safety precaution, while smaller ones don't really need it. Supercruise assist, however, is a godsend for me. I'm so glad they put a slot for it on every ship. I used to start falling asleep during supercruise from the relaxing music and doing very little, speeding past my target, but now I can just set it and do some other activity with minimal attention on navigation, using the autopilot like any transit airplane has today. I only have to watch for interdictions and avoid bodies my target might be tucked behind, but everything else is taken care of. It definitely makes trading and passenger runs more efficient for me.

I use it for my larger ships (Beluga especially) and I totally agree with OP... I gifted the game to two friends (and share library with a third), and all three of them gave up after trying to figure out how to dock. Shame on them for short attention spans and inability to stick something out, but if a docking computer can make the game more accessible then I'm all for it.

It's like how I ditched my Warthog HOTAS after 50 hours on the PC version... was just too tiring. Now I play with controller on PC and Xbox version and will never stray from them again.

I actually brought a sidewinder recently and for the first time since release on xbox i experienced the auto launch and auto dock sequence as it came standard.

Its really slow compared to manual and obviously less fun.

Im not going to bash on this n00b module, what i will say is i dont think it should be standard, if you dont want to play the game you can deal with it taking a slot.

I use it for my larger ships (Beluga especially) and I totally agree with OP... I gifted the game to two friends (and share library with a third), and all three of them gave up after trying to figure out how to dock. Shame on them for short attention spans and inability to stick something out, but if a docking computer can make the game more accessible then I'm all for it.

It's like how I ditched my Warthog HOTAS after 50 hours on the PC version... was just too tiring. Now I play with controller on PC and Xbox version and will never stray from them again.
I don't have a HOTAS, and have been contemplating whether to get one, so I'm curious: why did you feel it was tiring?

I don't have a HOTAS, and have been contemplating whether to get one, so I'm curious: why did you feel it was tiring?
Clearly I can't answer for them at all (I'm curious as to their rationale, too), but using a stick and throttle can potentially be a bit of a pain in terms of the set-up. Some people find easy, comfortable solutions, or can DIY something rather amazing, but many people will just make do, or perhaps struggle with space (erm, in their rooms. not the space in the game... ).

So, going from my own experience, that's one way they can be a bit of a hassle (if 'tiring' wasn't used literally). It was the same for me when using a racewheel and pedals last gen. I have the MS Elite controller, so not the terrible vanilla gamepad, but since getting the HOTAS I don't think I've 'played' more than about a minute of Elite with a pad, so for me any relative nuisance is definitely outweighed by the vast array of positives (even with the XB1 HOTAs, which doesn't exactly have the best build quality).

Clearly I can't answer for them at all (I'm curious as to their rationale, too), but using a stick and throttle can potentially be a bit of a pain in terms of the set-up. Some people find easy, comfortable solutions, or can DIY something rather amazing, but many people will just make do, or perhaps struggle with space (erm, in their rooms. not the space in the game... ).

So, going from my own experience, that's one way they can be a bit of a hassle (if 'tiring' wasn't used literally). It was the same for me when using a racewheel and pedals last gen. I have the MS Elite controller, so not the terrible vanilla gamepad, but since getting the HOTAS I don't think I've 'played' more than about a minute of Elite with a pad, so for me any relative nuisance is definitely outweighed by the vast array of positives (even with the XB1 HOTAs, which doesn't exactly have the best build quality).
Yeah, I play while sitting on my bed, so it'll probably be a bit difficult to find a good place to store a HOTAS, but besides poor build quality, I don't expect too many issues, which is why I'm wondering what DarkMellie meant.

Yeah, I play while sitting on my bed, so it'll probably be a bit difficult to find a good place to store a HOTAS, but besides poor build quality, I don't expect too many issues, which is why I'm wondering what DarkMellie meant.
Some can use it with the throttle and stick clipped together at the base on their lap, or/and on some kind of tray/rest, but it's all so wildly subjective re posture, comfort, play durations, storage, and so on. The only way you'll know is if you give it a go. If you expect your playing environment to change/improve in the next year or two, then a HOTAS can still be a good investment - especially if you think you might also use it on PC, or on one of the other, er, two or three games on XB1 that utilises it (an Ace Combat, and, um... can't think of any others right now).

Deleted member 38366

D
Totally using it myself on all my Trade Ships.

I can hit "launch" and spend a moment in the Galaxy & System Maps, knowing the Ship doesn't still sit launched on the Pad.
I can fly within Range of the Destination Station, request docking and then ALT+TAB to check something else until safe down.

Plus, how else could I listen to the Blue Danube in the Game? ;)

I have the Warthog which is beautifully built with a very solid trigger and used a cat scratching post between my legs for the stick, had the throttle on the upturned box it came in to my left, and then saitek pedals under the desk. When I say tiring I wasn't exhausted and I mean two specific things;

1. freedom of movement... once I was in my 'cockpit' getting up was a pain in the and there was always cords everywhere under the desk, underneath my legs, it was just really annoying to get into and out of the space.
2. For long sessions I just got tired of using all arms and legs and head (trackIR) to play the game. I wanted to feel more relaxed.

With that said, I still use my racing wheel regularly but that feels far more essential to racing than the hotas did to elite.

Once I switched to controller I wanted to play more and for longer. The control scheme is simply the best set of complicated controls on twiddle sticks (I feel it paved the way for kerbals, stellaris and more) and I really only trade off the one axis (lateral thrust) which I have quick access to via left-stick-click anyway, and the ability to free-look (on xbox anyway) at the blue zone when I'm looping around my supercruise target.

Total noob here ..... only managed a few days worth of ED play.

Most of the time I use the ADC but have already started attempting docking without it. Most of the time I use it as playing with TrackIR it allows me to dock safely whilst having a good look around at the eye-candy.

I have to wonder why these craft wouldn't have some form of auto dock.
My car has cruise control, others have automated bay parking and driverless cars are already on the roads. We have aircraft & drones that can pretty much take off, fly and land themselves so a 1000+ years from now they'd damn well better have advanced on from the extras you can add to a Ford Focus :LOL:

I have to wonder why these craft wouldn't have some form of auto dock.
My car has cruise control, others have automated bay parking and driverless cars are already on the roads. We have aircraft & drones that can pretty much take off, fly and land themselves so a 1000+ years from now they'd damn well better have advanced on from the extras you can add to a Ford Focus :LOL:
Yeah, when you actually think of it in terms of spec-fic sci-fi it also makes zero sense... These are large, massive, dangerous craft and it's not especially realistic to think that station control would just let every nomark with a spaceship approach the station and dock and/or depart manually.

It's obviously a game conceit, so that's fine, but I've always felt an option for automated docking/departing should be a default option on all ships - and not a module, just part of the ship's systems.

I've fitted an ADC on my passenger ship - previously it had a standard DC.

It seems to me that ADC is using different algorithms for docking sequence when docking at outposts
  • I found it boosting on station approach, the old DC boosted only on approach to planetary bases, never in space (this is not a bad thing, just unusual)
  • It does not align the ship properly with the landing pad on the vertical approach (Outposts), which means it has to do some extra maneuvers on the last seconds before touchdown.
Also, when auto-launching from Stations it seems really unpolished. Sometimes it grazes other ships, some other times it grazes the right side of the mailslot.

Think i will get back to the DC.

Top Bottom