So, the new Chieftain, Tech Broker...is FD once again focusing on pew-pew?

The reality is that most players are probably interested in pew-pew, so FD is simply focusing on the core customer experience.

The beta may have a sorts of enhancements for missions and trade, but they aren't as exciting as the pew-pew stuff to market.

Hoping Q4 has the cool exploration enhancements. At the moment, other than to get nice screenshots, no personal motivation to go and explore.

Jeeez. Sometimes the community here is similar to the way the anti-SJW community behaves, and gets triggered by just a hint that combat may get ANYTHING in the next update. The tech broker is far from a headline feature, guys.

Tech broker is not just about combat, so that leaves just the chieftain.

Well, we HOPE the tech broker is not just combat content. So far weapons and a cargo rack are all we've seen from it. You could say that engineers are not just combat content either, yet they are 90% combat and 10% non combat blueprints. Will the tech brokers be slanted similarly, or will the non combat players get more attention than usual here?

What's funny about the OP, is that I think combat is also not in a good state.

Combat is in a far, FAR better state than any other aspect in the game. It's gotten the most headline update features, it's gotten the most new ships, it's gotten the majority of engineer blueprints, and it's gotten the majority of development time since 1.0. No wonder it's in the best state in the game with all of that dev attention.

I was personally hoping that Beyond was going to be devoted to raising the rest of the game up to combat's level of development. However, I'd be lying if I said that I didn't feel similarly to the OP in this thread. Combat is yet again getting focused on by Frontier. Sure there are some great non combat improvements coming in 3.0 too, but combat is still getting at least equal attention despite it being in an already far superior state. C&P is purely about rebalancing combat antics in Open. Engineer revamp is very nice but like I said above 90% combat development. The new ship for 3.0 is a pure combat ship when we had just gotten the combat T10 in the last major patch, so two combat ships in a row (will the next ship, the Krait, also be a combat devoted ship?). 3.0 is introducing great new mega ship content which seems devoted to piracy and combat, and it looks nice but again combat.

The trade improvements look jaw dropping fantastic and the new planet shaders look great, but it still feels like combat is getting the bulk of the dev attention for 3.0. The Q2 and Q3 updates sound like minor ones so the end of the year is non-combat's last chance to be elevated to combat's stature, that's not a lot of real estate to achieve it. How much of the Q4 update will be combat content too? Three minutes of the livestream were devoted to a change which will affect the entire galaxy and billions of planets. Three minutes. More than half of the livestream was about combat content. It's no wonder that many people get the feeling that combat is yet again getting the lion's share of attention, I mean who can blame them for feeling that way?

Look, I hate sounding so negative because I love a lot of what 3.0 is bringing, and I still hold hope that Beyond will turn Frontier's constant combat focus towards other things in a major way, but I have to be honest, the start of Beyond has not contained the focus on non combat mechanics like I'd hoped it would. Frontier has still maintained a hard focus on combat too, and I dearly hope the focus breaks soon and turns toward other aspects in a major, MAJOR way. It's time. No, it's way past time.

Well, we HOPE the tech broker is not just combat content. So far weapons and a cargo rack are all we've seen from it. You could say that engineers are not just combat content either, yet they are 90% combat and 10% non combat blueprints. Will the tech brokers be slanted similarly, or will the non combat players get more attention than usual here?

We also saw a meta-alloy hull reinforcement upgrade.

Disagree.

Across the board changes are coming to far more than just combat. And the changes to combat are long over due. The ATR in particular to stamp down the out of control griefing.

Last edited:
It's a space combat game.

If diplomacy was important, they would have put some diplomatic features in the game.

If exploration was important, they would have made traveling in space part of the game, rather than just give you load screens and sc.

If trading was important, they wouldn't have given us the exact same spreadsheet design and trucker mechanic concocted 30 years ago.

If building/creating was important, they would have implemented something to build.

Now, I'm not against space combat games. Just not sure why it surprises anyone years after release what the game focuses on. It hasn't changed since release. Combat. Hopefully they can incorporate some changes so the npc's are actually worth installing Shields for.

It's a space combat game.

If diplomacy was important, they would have put some diplomatic features in the game.

If exploration was important, they would have made traveling in space part of the game, rather than just give you load screens and sc.

If trading was important, they wouldn't have given us the exact same spreadsheet design and trucker mechanic concocted 30 years ago.

If building/creating was important, they would have implemented something to build.

Now, I'm not against space combat games. Just not sure why it surprises anyone years after release what the game focuses on. It hasn't changed since release. Combat. Hopefully they can incorporate some changes so the npc's are actually worth installing Shields for.

gY8AE3v.png

Yep, the Trade and Exploration ranks are only there to look good. The game isn't about that stuff at all, only combat. :rolleyes:

Although, the update history does tend to prove your theory more than I care to admit....[sad]

Last edited:
What I would like to hear about are some non-combat related improvements and additions to multi-crew. There are many features in Elite with lots of potential, but that one seems like the most neglected. I really hope the exploration and mining overhauls later this year are built with multi-crew in mind.

I think FD doesnt know how to make a fun game without combat.

The barebones gameplay of mining, trading, exploration and smuggling is a proof of that.

I think FD doesnt know how to make a fun game without combat.

The barebones gameplay of mining, trading, exploration and smuggling is a proof of that.

Ugh. And when smuggling was fun *cough* Robigo *cough* they nerfed it because it made too much money... Which was a laughable pittance compared to today's passenger runs :rolleyes:

Oh my Deity(s) do I hope they rework smuggling and heat mechanics...

Ugh. And when smuggling was fun *cough* Robigo *cough* they nerfed it because it made too much money... Which was a laughable pittance compared to today's passenger runs :rolleyes:

What was fun about Robigo for me was the option to fill my hold (sadly with the help of mode swaps) with long distance deliveries to a certain area and then getting a good amount of money for my time and efforts.
I would have rather have seen it down tuned a bit then totally removed.
We need more missions suited for big cargo haulers.

Oh my Deity(s) do I hope they rework smuggling and heat mechanics...

I do completely agree with that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom