Newcomer / Intro SOLVED: Black market: Can I not sell mined Painite?

Howdy,

I mined stuff and wanted to sell on black market, but regardless what filter setting, I see nothing in the sell page, despite I have some cargo of stuff that Fandom Wiki had listed to be able to trade on black markets. What did I miss?

As far as I know you'd have to have 'stolen' the painite to be able to sell it at a black market. It's the stealing part that flags it as illegal cargo. There is an invisible flag applied to materials that are ripped out of a ships hold by hatch breaker limpets.

:) Always helpful hands around here! Thanks much. So, the only way yo acquire stuff for BM's is via hatch braker limpets, or does stuff for example collected from killed bounty ships RE-sites count as well, and a last one, do I get flagged then as wanted?

Oh, forgot one... I always look at black markets, but I never saw anything for sale.... how comes?

:) Always helpful hands around here! Thanks much. So, the only way yo acquire stuff for BM's is via hatch braker limpets, or does stuff for example collected from killed bounty ships RE-sites count as well, and a last one, do I get flagged then as wanted?
You can also buy some goods that are illegal elsewhere. Landmines are often illegal, but some will sell them. Also Slaves and some others. Stations list in the sys map what they prohibit. Make sure they have a Black Market though ;)

If you get scanned carrying illegal / stolen goods then you will be fined - you can pay off the fine when you land. But try and avoid being scanned - good smuggling in elite for methods.

Oh, forgot one... I always look at black markets, but I never saw anything for sale.... how comes?
Because they don't sell anything. One day...

IIRC some of the stuff you can find in Signal Sources also gets flagged as illegal/stolen on pickup and can only be sold to BMs.

If you get scanned carrying illegal / stolen goods then you will be fined - you can pay off the fine when you land. But try and avoid being scanned - good smuggling in elite for methods.
..fined without being send to a penal colony multiple jumps away? I don;t know yet how to smuggle... one more thing to learn.

..fined without being send to a penal colony multiple jumps away? I don;t know yet how to smuggle... one more thing to learn.

That's the difference between a fine and a bounty
A fine you can pay off like a parking ticket, and everything's ok again. Also like a parking ticket from another country, you can also completely ignore it unless you want to dock again at a station that belongs to the faction which issued that fine (that reminds me - got to remember to pay off a couple of fines form my last session...).
A bounty is a bit more problematic. Unless you have notoriety (for killing another ship), you can pay it off at any interstellar factor (for a slight surcharge of 25% - that also works for fines, btw.). However, if you want to pay it off at the faction that wants you, you need to "hand yourself in", which includes a free trip to a prison facility of their choice.

Regarding smuggling, there's only one rule: don't get caught (i.e. scanned - local authority ships are worst, but any other ship can also be bad news). As for evading scans, there's various methods. I usually use a combination af speed and stealth (cold ship, with silent running). Other people also reported that shooting at the ship that started to scan you will interrupt that scan - but may give you further problems. I'm currently running two stealth ships - a Krait Phantom for passenger/cargo missions and a Viper for those lucrative data retrieval missions. The Viper is somewhat faster, a bit less stealthy (still ample time to make it into any station on silent running) and has no cargo space. On the other hand, the Phantom has three nice passenger cabins and I've given up on timing how long she can run silent without having to drop a heat sink.
Just don't assume that silent running makes you invisible - it only makes you hard to detect (and scan), but once they come close enough, they can acquire you visually.

Ashnak

Good reply!
But if you want a fast, stealthy mission runner with cargo, buy the Dolphin, and you can upgrade as you go.
Here is my tricked out stealth runner, and as the name says, yes she is, and runs under 19°, so easy to avoid dem scans!

Have fun with smuggling and illegal black box collections.
Pro tip on the black box, drop into the area, sit and WAIT for 1 min, this will allow any other "hostile" to drop in, scan you and see nothing(have no cargo, only a few limpets) and then they will fly off.
Want something faster, try this... A little work is involved to unlock it, but it is uber fun!
Then cops won't know what went past them!

When docking, go in fairly fast(400m/s +) once just past the toast rack, throttle back, auto dock kicks in, and lands for you... Unless you are going 500m/s + then it may struggle, but you should easily get in with this ship.

Smuggling made easy:

Drop into the station instance
Stay 9k from the station, this is outside any scan radius, now cruise about and line up with the mail slot(makes life easy!)
Throttle up
Ask for docking, make sure you get permissions!
Boost if you feel confident you can nail the mail slot opening
hit Chaff(prevents scans man)
You made get scanned 2x times,f so simply use a heat sink, keep a look out for incoming / outbound ships, avoid contact(they will hurt!)
You should be VERY close to the station by now, get ready to dock..
Skim the toast rack(preferred just inside of it..), throttle back full, you will cruise through the force field(blue thing)
Auto dock now kicks in, and fights to slow and dock your ship - Hopefully you will NOT be as landing pad 1(pain in the ass).
Auto dock has full control and can land, better than you can with FA off, thrusters in reveres and throttle 100% reverse. This also means that your ship does not behave like a fish out of water, hopping, and flopping about...
Auto lands, and you sell your illegal goods :p

Enjoy, and repeat.
You can also use the same build principles for any other ship, medium and large.
It does get a bit more complex, but the rules are-
Power plant-run either armoured or low emissions power plant(depending upon how much power you need) Use monsterd mod if you need a bit of extra juice, or thermal spread for the chill factor.
Thrusters -use clean drives + thermal spread for max temp drop(emissions = heat, heat = i see you easily), yes you can go armoured, but this reduces speed and jump distance.
Jump drive mod(your choice)+ thermal spread
Shield- Enhanced low power- low draw for bigger shields, as this can drop your power plant size down a grade(saving a lot of cash).
Power distributor - you have a choice of charge enhanced or engine focused, as the do nearly exactly the same. It all depends on your materials, and if you are willing to lock the ship down to one role or to use it for multi purpose. If you choose multipurpose, then go charge enhanced.
Shield boosters are a luxury and also give off thermals, so less is more, in the case of stealth.

Here is my larger smuggler https://s.orbis.zone/4olq

So be bold, and become a smuggler!

Fly safe and don't get scanned

Last edited:
Ranualf,

that's quite a tutorial you folks write here. :cool: Thanks very much for that. I still have some parsec to cover before I can do smuggling. Just did my first basic moderate Python engineering, well engineered a Krait to be precise, and transferred the goodies now. Distributers, fsd, thrusters, shields, shield booster, and frags, experimenting, making errors of course, wasting mats, need for more mats, you know the drill. At the moment I learn about mining and very basic combat. That Novice bar is filling up uncomfortably fast. Mining is quite relaxing, still have to blow up an asteroid, then I have them basics covered. Never looked into power play either, still independent. Would love some of them engineered pacifiers, but I feel too independent to sign a contract. Guns should stay with cmdrs once they stayed for a certain amount of time with a power in my opinion, but as it is, if you cancel your contract at any time, the goodies are gone too.

Such a bloody deep game, square eyed nights in deed. ;)

........ Guns should stay with cmdrs once they stayed for a certain amount of time with a power in my opinion, but as it is, if you cancel your contract at any time, the goodies are gone too.

You don't lose the stuff you bought, you just don't qualify for further purchases.

Would love some of them engineered pacifiers, but I feel too independent to sign a contract. Guns should stay with cmdrs once they stayed for a certain amount of time with a power in my opinion, but as it is, if you cancel your contract at any time, the goodies are gone too.

I don't participate in Powerplay, but as far as I know, the powerplay modules you already bought stay with you.

Ohhh.... That is interesting! Then I need to pledge for a while and whack some stuff into storage for later then. Twin packhounds engineered with 1. drag and 2. cascade should do for annoying NPC's , then we have pacifiers, prismatics etc. here comes the next grind.... :) Hmmm cytoscramblers, nice, choices, choices, choices....

Last edited:
Ohhh.... That is interesting! Then I need to pledge for a while and whack some stuff into storage for later then. Twin packhounds engineered with 1. drag and 2. cascade should do for annoying NPC's , then we have pacifiers, prismatics etc. here comes the next grind.... :) Hmmm cytoscramblers, nice, choices, choices, choices....

Exactly - though I have to admit to having no PP modules in any account - only ever pledged once to help out a fellow commander - unpledged after a couple of days as I hated seeing the red "hostile" in the UI over the Fuel Gauge (if that is the correct notice, it was so long ago).

Top Bottom