Astronomy / Space Some cool astronomy shots

Source: Astronomy picture of the day
http://www.phys.ncku.edu.tw/~astrolab/mirrors/apod_e/archivepix.html

It's been a while since I checked in with the Cassini Probe. Turns out that it's been doing some pretty cool stuff.

newrings_cassini_big.jpg

Explanation: In the shadow of Saturn, unexpected wonders appear. The robotic Cassini spacecraft now orbiting Saturn recently drifted in giant planet's shadow for about 12 hours and looked back toward the eclipsed Sun. Cassini saw a view unlike any other. First, the night side of Saturn is seen to be partly lit by light reflected from its own majestic ring system. Next, the rings themselves appear dark when silhouetted against Saturn, but quite bright when viewed away from Saturn and slightly scattering sunlight, in the above exaggerated color image. Saturn's rings light up so much that new rings were discovered, although they are hard to see in the above image. Visible in spectacular detail, however, is Saturn's E ring, the ring created by the newly discovered ice-fountains of the moon Enceladus, and the outermost ring visible above. Far in the distance, visible on the image left just above the bright main rings, is the almost ignorable pale blue dot of Earth.

iapetus3_cassini_big.jpg

Explanation: What has happened to Saturn's moon Iapetus? Vast sections of this strange world are dark as coal, while others are as bright as ice. The composition of the dark material is unknown, but infrared spectra indicate that it possibly contains some dark form of carbon. Iapetus also has an unusual equatorial ridge that makes it appear like a walnut. To help better understand this seemingly painted moon, NASA directed the robotic Cassini spacecraft orbiting Saturn to swoop within 2,000 kilometers in 2007. Pictured above, from about 75,000 kilometers out, Cassini's trajectory allowed unprecedented imaging of the hemisphere of Iapetus that is always trailing. A huge impact crater seen in the south spans a tremendous 450 kilometers and appears superposed on an older crater of similar size. The dark material is seen increasingly coating the easternmost part of Iapetus, darkening craters and highlands alike. Close inspection indicates that the dark coating typically faces the moon's equator and is less than a meter thick. A leading hypothesis is that the dark material is mostly dirt leftover when relatively warm but dirty ice sublimates. An initial coating of dark material may have been effectively painted on by the accretion of meteor-liberated debris from other moons. This and other images from Cassini's Iapetus flyby are being studied for even greater clues.

Full res: http://www.phys.ncku.edu.tw/~astrolab/mirrors/apod_e/image/0908/iapetus3_cassini_big.jpg

Do check out this Large version and have a look in the middle - it's very very cool: http://www.phys.ncku.edu.tw/~astrolab/mirrors/apod_e/image/0908/ttauri_noao_big.jpg

ttauri_noao_big.jpg

Explanation: What does a star look like when it is forming? The prototypical example is the variable star T Tauri, visible as the bright orange star near the image center. The orange star centered in this remarkable telescopic skyview is T Tauri, prototype of the class of T Tauri variable stars. Surrounding T Tauri is a dusty yellow cosmic cloud named the Hind's Variable Nebula (NGC 1555/1554). Over 400 light-years away, at the edge of a molecular cloud, both star and nebula are seen to vary significantly in brightness but not necessarily at the same time, adding to the mystery of the intriguing region. T Tauri stars are now generally recognized as young -- less than a few million years old -- sun-like stars still in the early stages of formation. To further complicate the picture, infrared observations indicate that T Tauri itself is part of a multiple star system. Surprisingly, due to a close gravitational pass near one of these stars, T Tauri may now be headed out of the system. The dramatic color image above captures a region that spans about 4 light-years.

How small do you feel? http://www.phys.ncku.edu.tw/~astrolab/mirrors/apod_e/image/0908/NGC7331-hager.jpg

NGC7331-hager.jpg

Explanation: This wide, sharp telescopic view reveals galaxies scattered beyond the stars at the northern boundary of the high-flying constellation Pegasus. Prominent at the upper right is NGC 7331. A mere 50 million light-years away, the large spiral is one of the brighter galaxies not included in Charles Messier's famous 18th century catalog. The disturbed looking group of galaxies at the lower left is well-known as Stephan's Quintet. About 300 million light-years distant, the quintet dramatically illustrates a multiple galaxy collision, its powerful, ongoing interactions posed for a brief cosmic snapshot. On the sky, the quintet and NGC 7331 are separated by about half a degree.

Amazing stuff Steve! That first one looks completely unreal. I'm puzzled that the rings in front of the planet appear magnified. Gravitational lensing came to mind but I don't think it would work that way. Any thoughts?

Amazing stuff Steve! That first one looks completely unreal. I'm puzzled that the rings in front of the planet appear magnified. Gravitational lensing came to mind but I don't think it would work that way. Any thoughts?

I was thinking that it was a result of the light refracting through Saturns atmosphere and the resulting mix of the shadows and light creating the rather odd effect. It's an epic photo tho.

Sir.Tj

The Moderator who shall not be Blamed....
Volunteer Moderator
The picture of Saturn is stunning. I've just bought a telescope which is capable of seeing Saturn...may not be quite as nice as that though.

The picture of Saturn is stunning. I've just bought a telescope which is capable of seeing Saturn...may not be quite as nice as that though.
No, but you will have fun. My LX90 is gathering dust in the corner of this very room; me bad :(

Sir.Tj

The Moderator who shall not be Blamed....
Volunteer Moderator
No, but you will have fun. My LX90 is gathering dust in the corner of this very room; me bad :(

I'll never let that happen.....:rolleyes: just yet :) wel not this week anyway.

Looking forward to setting it up and me and the kids exploring the sky. (once I work out how to do it anyway.

I'd love to get some time with a tracking telescope and connect up my SLR. there is something about a good milkyway shot.

Yep it's the Devils Tower from Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind.
devilstower_pacholka.jpg

Glad our moon looks more pleasant than Saturn's moon Iapetus :)

I dunno, Iapetus is covered in dirty snow - seems like winter in the UK - must remind you a little of home :p haha

I want to know what the deal is with the large ridge that runs around it, seems very odd.

Edit: from Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iapetus_(moon)
Equatorial ridge
A further mystery of Iapetus is the equatorial ridge that runs along the center of Cassini Regio, about 1,300 km long, 20 km wide, 13 km high. It was discovered when the Cassini spacecraft imaged Iapetus on December 31, 2004. Parts of the ridge rise more than 20 km above the surrounding plains. The ridge forms a complex system including isolated peaks, segments of more than 200 km and sections with three near parallel ridges.[20] Within the bright regions there is no ridge, but there are a series of isolated 10 km peaks along the equator.[21] The ridge system is heavily cratered, indicating that it is ancient. The prominent equatorial bulge gives the moon a walnut-like appearance.

It is not clear how the ridge formed. One difficulty is to explain why it follows the equator almost perfectly. There are at least three current hypotheses, but none of them explains why the ridge is confined to Cassini Regio.

1.A team of scientists associated with the Cassini mission have argued that the ridge could be a remnant of the oblate shape of the young Iapetus, when it was rotating more rapidly than it does today.[22] The height of the ridge suggests a maximum rotational period of 17 hours. If Iapetus cooled fast enough to preserve the ridge but remain plastic long enough for the tides raised by Saturn to have slowed the rotation to its current tidally locked 79 days, Iapetus must have been heated by the radioactive decay of aluminium-26. This isotope appears to have been abundant in the solar nebula from which Saturn formed, but has since all decayed. The quantities of aluminium-26 needed to heat Iapetus to the required temperature give a tentative date to its formation relative to the rest of the Solar System: Iapetus must have come together earlier than expected, only two million years after the asteroids started to form.
2.The ridge could be icy material that welled up from beneath the surface and then solidified. If it had formed away from the then equator, this hypothesis requires that the rotational axis would have been driven to its current position by the ridge.[citation needed]
3.It has also been suggested that Iapetus could have had a ring system during its formation due to its large Hill sphere, and that the equatorial ridge was then produced by collisional accretion of this ring.[23] However, the ridge appears too solid to be the result of a collapsed ring. Also, recent images show tectonic faults running through the ridge, apparently inconsistent with the collapsed ring hypothesis[17].

It reminds me of the sprue you get with injection mouldings: maybe Slartibartfast's handiwork? (sorry, wrong virtual universe).
The more I stare at the Saturn Eclipse photo, the odder it looks: impossible to realise it's a natural image not computer-generated. Extraordinary!

Last edited:
It reminds me of the sprue you get with injection mouldings: maybe Slartibartfast's handiwork? (sorry, wrong virtual universe).
The more I stare at the Saturn Eclipse photo, the odder it looks: impossible to realise it's a natural image not computer-generated. Extraordinary!

It is what they call an Exaggerated Colour Image and is the combination of 165 photos taken over three hours.

http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA08329

Original
PIA08329_modest.jpg

Do any of those moons have the potential to foster life? (like Mars or our own Moon could do - with a bit of work :p )

I think there is speculation that there could potentially be some form of life in Titan as it's the only moon in the Solar System that has a dense atmosphere.

There is also speculation regarding the possibility of Europa harbouring life beneat it's icy surface. It's surfact temp is -170C but if there is liquid beneath the surface then there is a distinct possibility of life.

There's an idea - a mission to Europa where you land on the surface and get out of the ship, take a lift way down below the surface where there is an underwater base. Would be an interesting setting for a mission.

The mission objective could be to find a big black obelisk that says :
"Hello Dave. I don't think you should do that Dave. Daisy Daisy ... ..." :D

I think Ganymede, Callisto and Europa are all thought to have liquid water under the crusts. Europa is the most inviting because the water on that moon is probably easier to get to. (They don't know how thick the ice is).

A new probe is being sent in 2011 (but the last one, Galileo, took 6 years to get there - I assume the new one will take just as long).

I also think the moon count is way off on those pictures - I'm pretty sure Jupiter and Saturn have over 60 moons (since the last count). I've got a feeling Saturn has over 70 but I could be wrong.

Top Bottom