Some seasoning for this "Keybind problem"

Please allow me to feature my massive obsession with various space games: 6000+ hours on steam in the last 10 years. These tally between Space Engineers, X4, and Elite dangerous to name my big 3.

At the time ED released I was active duty in the military. This meant I had very short periods of time to enjoy ED. The tight scheduling allowed maybe 45 minutes for leisure between the commute, working, eating, sleeping.... Even as short as they were, these sessions were often separated by 3-6 months. Thusly I savored every second available. And yes, my choice of lifestye, etc.

Perhaps this explains the passion behind this argument. Due to the lifestyle I have found more than "a fair portion" of entire opportunities to play the game consumed with managing control schemes. Every time it becomes an issue I find myself disappointed -- missing out on this excellent experience for the same reason for the Nth time. Be it my inefficiencies or not, I have missed many -- several months planned in advance-- game nights due to this specific frustration.

I specifically remember, one time, finding my backups in a 6 month old google drive file. (This was no easy task I may add). Then found they simply don't work anymore after reading through 3 months of forum posts... i found myself extremely discouraged. I couldn't even maintain the basic controls let alone a fleet of modified ships or a carrier. Shortly after carriers came out I stopped playing.

Naturally, the Odyssey alpha attracted my attention. Its fun. Very fun.

But, here we are, finding the maintenance of keybinds to be an exponentially growing problem. The bigger the game is, the more work it is to maintain keybinds-- Especially for those of us "first-world-problem-ers" with a separate laptop & desktop requiring separate bindings. Not to mention those who are lucky enough to afford VR, requiring a third set for the various modes of play. I can't imagine myself dealing with setting up such complex controls, only to be thwarted in the same ubiquitous manner...

So, yes, it is an emotional response to extraneous circumstances. But I know I'm not alone in this.

I really hope FD looks into improving this functionality so that others with a similar limiting lifestyle don't miss out on this amazing art work.

Yes.

my point is, instead of playing the game we are here reading & writing about it. Not everyone has the time or patience.

agreed your right it should just work without the fuss but alas it don't...………………..
about as much fun as being in the field, trying to sort it when you get back
I am curious though what one of the three steps in the guide you have a problem with and why?
as many do actually find its pretty much a fire and forget workaround.....

Last edited:
Yes.

my point is, instead of playing the game we are here reading & writing about it. Not everyone has the time or patience.

You are quite right that F D binds (control assignment) management is complete pants. Maybe a support ticket would be more useful than a zero-day rant but, hey if it makes you feel better, OK. ;)

I just wish they wouldn't drop back to standard bindings if you forget to plug in a stick, that's just rediculous, the chosen config should remain active whether it can find a referenced device or not.

Unfortunately the forums would then be full of posts complaining that "why can't it just tell that I obviously meant to not plug my xyz controller in and load up the default KB + mouse control setup".

Personally I prefer it the way it is - It makes it my responsibility to make sure that I have remembered to plug the Hotas in before starting the game, and if I haven't then its nobody's fault but mine. But I do have it setup so that I navigate the menus with the Hotas, so notice pretty quickly if it isn't working correctly. If it isn't then all it usually needs is to plug in the Hotas and change the control setup to get it working.

Top Bottom