Something bad happened and it's up to us to fix it.

By shooting at stuff... again.

Haven't been playing much at all recently but I see the 'goids are giving Palin a hard time.

I just don't care.
I'm sure those who already have AX ships will do what needs to be done.
Or they won't.
Whatever FDev decides.

Thing is, I'd rather stick a needle in my eye than buy a new ship and modules/weapons and then spend a week schlepping around engineering it just so I can go and shoot at stuff for reasons that may or may not turn out to be useful.

Is it not about time the whole thing was more cohesive and inclusive?
Would it not be better (by which I mean attractive to a more diverse group of players) if these "events" utilised the skills/abilities of different types of players and their ships?
Could FDev not create some kind of "event" which required cargo ships to bring stuff to stations so the station could provide stuff like ammo for combat pilots, require scout ships to locate POIs that need to be attacked or defended, require explorers and miners to go and find sources of things that might also be needed and require rescue ships to, erm, rescue people?

Right now all I'm seeing is players who enjoy pew-pew getting their jollies, some megaship-bothering (which may or may not serve some useful purpose) and everybody else can just carry on doing whatever else they're doing (ESO, in my case).

Seems like FDev should really try to put significantly more than pew-pew into these "events".

... but ... but ... you now even have a ferry schlepping you to the guardian systems, to get your gauss blueprint. 🤪

I see your point though. I am happy I have all the ships I need at an engineering level I am comfortable with, and two AX-ships too. I wouldn't do much more of this any time soon too.

edit:
but I must add, the first time around most of the things where ok. First time engineering a ship to the max was an achievement. First time at the guardian site, first time at the guardian space beacon, that was all exciting. I've just done it often enough, and now I can participate in most events! :D

Last edited:
Could FDev not create some kind of "event" which required cargo ships to bring stuff to stations so the station could provide stuff like ammo for combat pilots
As part of the same storyline which has involved AX work around Maia to protect Palin, the last 11 days have had three parallel cargo-hauling CGs to construct facilities in the Witch Head nebula, which presumably will have Restock services enabled for when the Thargoids decide to try to set fire to them.

While the exploration CG still suffered from the same thing every previous exploration CG has suffered from (and a broken tier structure on top of that), Frontier do seem to have been trying to have something for everyone - traders, explorers, combat pilots, AX pilots, rescuers, etc. - in the story as a whole.

Could FDev not create some kind of "event" which required cargo ships to bring stuff to stations so the station could provide stuff like ammo for combat pilots, require scout ships to locate POIs that need to be attacked or defended, require explorers and miners to go and find sources of things that might also be needed and require rescue ships to, erm, rescue people?

The CG that just ended was literally moving cargo to stations owned by Fed, Empire, and Allaince. And the CG the week prior to that was an exploring based CG.

I agree with the sentiment - CGs, or II’s or WE’s* have always been largely the same things, just in different places. Every so often we get thrown a very small bone - sell exploration data here.

Granted we have limited means of interacting, but even the means we have could be expanded. For instance, a game of galaxy wide Where’s Waldo, aka Where in the Galaxy is Carmen Sandiego, aka Star Trek: Findind Nemoy - where in you have to locate and scan ships to find a specific passenger, which could also be turned into “Scan for Illicit Cargo” or “Scan for Anything” that awards a mission-specific type of data when found, that is then turned in to generate progress would be quite feasible with the interface we have to interact.

There are quite a number of similar interactions that could be implemented. Of course, there is the potential issue of How Many Event Activities Can We Have at the Same Time.

We know we can do 2, as we normally do have 2 - transport materials or blow things up. Could we get this up to 3 and add in “Or Scan for...” to the mix?

*WE’s - initially meant as “What Evers” but also works as “Weekly Events” so is now a thing.

As part of the same storyline which has involved AX work around Maia to protect Palin, the last 11 days have had three parallel cargo-hauling CGs to construct facilities in the Witch Head nebula, which presumably will have Restock services enabled for when the Thargoids decide to try to set fire to them.

While the exploration CG still suffered from the same thing every previous exploration CG has suffered from (and a broken tier structure on top of that), Frontier do seem to have been trying to have something for everyone - traders, explorers, combat pilots, AX pilots, rescuers, etc. - in the story as a whole.

The CG that just ended was literally moving cargo to stations owned by Fed, Empire, and Allaince. And the CG the week prior to that was an exploring based CG.

And what effect did those things have on any other aspect of the "event"?

None.

The point is, different activities shouldn't just be independant of each other.
They should, as I already said, be cohesive.

When it comes to these "events" the idea should, presumably, be to get players to work toward a common goal.
That is NOT the same thing as simply providing a variety of isolated activities involving different types of gameplay.
Those activities are already available, at any station, for those who simply want to partake of them.

The sort of thing that'd regain my interest would be if, for example, stations near the "event" stopped being able to provide re-arming or repair services due to a lack of materials or equipment.
Shipyards would run out of ships and modules and it'd be up to players to do whatever was required to fix those problems.

A CG is just a CG.
A battle is just a battle.
Give me an opportunity to do things that might help other players do their part during an event... cohesively.

Haven't been playing much at all recently but I see the 'goids are giving Palin a hard time.

I wish. Lady on megaship tells me to BLAST the hatches so the escape pods can be freed, so I do what blast implies - shoot the hatches. Next thing I know I'm a wanted man being swarmed by missiles. I have to come to the forum to find out that I need to use hatch breaker limpets (notice they are called breakers, not blasters) to do this. So I go equip my ship with these and go back and the megaship dude says, "Use your repair limpets (the ones I know you don't have) to fix our ship for us." At this point I say, "Screw it, and screw you - I never liked you Engineers anyway!"

I've not fired a single shot at a thargoid, I not seen or been given a valid reason to. Yes i've been pulled out of hyperspace by thargoids, they scan to see if i've been stealing their stuffs and then off they go. Unlike pirates you pull me out of SC, trying to steal my tasty biowaste (which is not theirs) so yeah, i've slapped a few pirates about the head. Thargoids? Give me a reason, cos right now they seem happy to share the same space as me and no hostile activities ever. Only thing that has attacked me are guardians, so I blew them up.

bad? This is GREAT! Palin is now going to be in the Bubble, less than 100 LY from Earth. What's "Bad" about this?

don't you know that all "news" and "participation" events in ED have pre-determined outcomes? Players get hyped up and fight for one thing or another, but at the end of the day the outcome had been decided long before the event was announced.

All that really happened was that Palin got moved back to the Bubble like he was before this whole Thargoid thing started 2 years ago....Although true to form, Obsidian Orbital is still giving out the Palin "get me some alien samples" mission because somebody didn't think the whole thing through. Fortunately in this case it didn't result in horrible game-breaking consequences. Just mildly amusing ones since the payout for those missions was nerfed a long time ago so nobody really cares about them anymore.

Last edited:
bad? This is GREAT! Palin is now going to be in the Bubble, less than 100 LY from Earth. What's "Bad" about this?

don't you know that all "news" and "participation" events in ED have pre-determined outcomes? Players get hyped up and fight for one thing or another, but at the end of the day the outcome had been decided long before the event was announced.

All that really happened was that Palin got moved back to the Bubble like he was before this whole Thargoid thing started 2 years ago.
An enclave is being drawn, including Palin, Sol and ....... Shinrata !

I feel like what you're asking for, Stealthie, is what we have. Various scenarios, dynamic events, AX combat, space trucking...it's all there and it means something. Those stations that are about to be built in the Witch Head nebula? I was a part of that. Just like Explorer's Anchorage.

I suppose it's a bit about by in and roleplay, but while(st) the first Instellar Initiative was a bit pants, this one has been much more engaging and compelling.

And we made a mega ship jump on a Monday. That's never happened before...I sense that there was some internal trigger that was met about which we are unaware...possibly a test for fleet carriers....one never knows.

Anyone, I'm sorry you're not feeling it or seeing it. 🤕

I just don't care.
I'm sure those who already have AX ships will do what needs to be done.
Or they won't.
Whatever FDev decides.

Thing is, I'd rather stick a needle in my eye than buy a new ship and modules/weapons and then spend a week schlepping around engineering it just so I can go and shoot at stuff for reasons that may or may not turn out to be useful.

Is it not about time the whole thing was more cohesive and inclusive?
Would it not be better (by which I mean attractive to a more diverse group of players) if these "events" utilised the skills/abilities of different types of players and their ships?

Right now all I'm seeing is players who enjoy pew-pew getting their jollies, some megaship-bothering (which may or may not serve some useful purpose) and everybody else can just carry on doing whatever else they're doing (ESO, in my case).

Seems like FDev should really try to put significantly more than pew-pew into these "events".
You've just described all my complains about cg's and interstellar initiatives so far...

I remember no one complaining about Palin place.. Who ever asked to have him closer to the bubble? Not saying it is bad but I'm quite sure that there are more interesting outcome

You would be so right... if there wasn't the whole repair and rescue part of the event.

So really, what is it that you demand? That the event would have no combat component, only be about repair and rescue? Isn't that exactly what you try to make look bad, just from the other side?

Well, they also could provide the proper outfit for the time of signing up. So you dont need bother about all the prereqs and still do the content. Just saying.

Except:
1. Repair and rescue needs no engineering at all. It was all about geting a ship, flying there, doing the job. (That part is done by now, it seems. )
2. Against Thargoid scouts you don't need that much engineering. Get a combat ship, put four AX MultiCannons (in case of doubt: turreted version) on it, you can get going.

It's actually what i appreciate about Thargoid content. It's not as heavy on engineering as other things. All your overcharged weapons won't be of that much use. Resist stacking and other things usually done won't help at all. Only pushing up raw numbers is of some help, but all in all, it usually doesn't make that much of a difference.

But yea. It's much easier to complain that to be informed.

Last edited:
I think the OP is referring to dynamic conditions. Actions/reactions happening in realtime and related missions coming available/dying out accordingly.. station running out of ammo/repair materials. Defenders forced to dock while waiting for resupply fleet(s) to arrive. Others protecting said fleets. A jump point gets compromised, the supply fleet is forced to find a detour, station getting overrun because of the detour and so on and so forth.

Shame the game isn't designed that way. Feels almost like we're playing inside a turn-based game. All kinds of things are done but nothing actually happens until the devs hit the 'end turn' button.

Top Bottom